Download Pyra Debian OS (WIP)

Your Pandora desktop is not where you install PNDs, and neither is it where you should install DBPs it seems.  Install it to a SD card (/media/something) and if what slaeshjag is right, it should try to create a folder in /media/something/dragonbox/appdata instead, which is permitted.

I'm not sure if the folder layout is the same for DBPs but you could try putting the DBP in /media/something/dragonbox/desktop, and it might appear on your desktop again.

You can actually install pnd anywhere, if the /etc/pandora/conf/apps is tweaked.

Your Pandora desktop is not where you install PNDs, and neither is it where you should install DBPs it seems.  Install it to a SD card (/media/something) and if what slaeshjag is right, it should try to create a folder in /media/something/dragonbox/appdata instead, which is permitted.

I'm not sure if the folder layout is the same for DBPs but you could try putting the DBP in /media/something/dragonbox/desktop, and it might appear on your desktop again.

You are correct.  I put it in /media/psd256gb/pyradbp/ and it works.   It shows game in the Game category where you just launch it like any normal program in Debian.  It then created a .opentyrian directory in my home directory.  Cool!  I love Pandora PND system.  I now love the way Pyra dbp system works even more.  Looking forward to Pyra really! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a Pyra?...

Well it's possible, but you would need a dual partition setup like how pandian mark 3 is setup as I believe the pandora u-boot doesn't have ext4load. I'm sure it can be done, but it may require a lot of hacking of boot configs, which may break how it's currently setup to boot.

Can a devboard be used fully for a few years once the OS is fully stable or  would that be unwise?

I picked up my OMAP5 EVM Devboard in February of 2014, It's been powered on outside of OS updates since then, so yeah I say it can be on for several years.

The Devboard isn't a cheap investment for sure the official Ti one was 329 USD, right now OS install is fairly manual, but not all together that difficult. However setting up the devboard  initially may be a bit daunting for one who never worked on such a thing. setting dip switches for boot order, which are written out wrong in the manual and such.  Well if you call what they give you as a "manual".

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally on the move to buy a devboard or two (one to pass around locally) since this is cheaper than a standalone dev. Pyra, but wouldn't know where to start (resource wise, loading OS and whatnot) since I've no experience with such devices before. Pointers please?

Found the documentation provided by ISEE to be very informative for new players.
http://labs.isee.biz/index.php/IGEPv5

Could somebody tell us, how this image is generated at the moment? I asume this is kind of a manual process?

Image building is done completely automated using multistrap.
Configuring is left to the package manager as much as possible, although some things have to be set up using external scripts (mostly stuff that normally gets done by the debian installer).
http://dev.pyra-handheld.com/index.php/p/pyraos-build/source/tree/master/multistrap
http://dev.pyra-handheld.com/index.php/p/pyraos-build/source/tree/master/multistrap

How do you automatically run the script in / at first boot now that rc.local is momentary gone with s--tstemd ?

Which script do you mean.
There are a few, one that gets run right after multistrap has finished downloading and extracting the packages, which sets up a few things the next stage expects to be there.
The next one has to run on arm hardware to configure all the packages.
If the rootfs is beeing built on arm hardware, it uses a chroot (systemd-nspawn actually) to jump into the rootfs and configure everything.
If it's not beeing built on arm hardware, /sbin/init is replaced with a link to the config script (the init system doesn't fully work when all the packages are unconfigured anyway), which then runs when the rootfs is booted on the device for the first time. That script then resets sbin/init at the end.
That second method has the disadvantage that the first boot takes about 7 minutes longer, so I build everything on the devboard.

Everything in the rootfs is then ready for the first proper boot. It's now a fully installed debian system, except that there's only a root user account.

The pyra first-run-wizard is run using a normal systemd service, and takes care of adding users, configuring timezones/languages and other things like that.
http://dev.pyra-handheld.com/index....rce/tree/master/debian/pyra-first-run.service

Image building is done completely automated using multistrap.
Configuring is left to the package manager as much as possible, although some things have to be set up using external scripts (mostly stuff that normally gets done by the debian installer).

Which script do you mean.
There are a few, one that gets run right after multistrap has finished downloading and extracting the packages, which sets up a few things the next stage expects to be there.
The next one has to run on arm hardware to configure all the packages.
If the rootfs is beeing built on arm hardware, it uses a chroot (systemd-nspawn actually) to jump into the rootfs and configure everything.
If it's not beeing built on arm hardware, /sbin/init is replaced with a link to the config script (the init system doesn't fully work when all the packages are unconfigured anyway), which then runs when the rootfs is booted on the device for the first time. That script then resets sbin/init at the end.
That second method has the disadvantage that the first boot takes about 7 minutes longer, so I build everything on the devboard.

Everything in the rootfs is then ready for the first proper boot. It's now a fully installed debian system, except that there's only a root user account.

The pyra first-run-wizard is run using a normal systemd service, and takes care of adding users, configuring timezones/languages and other things like that.
http://dev.pyra-handheld.com/index....rce/tree/master/debian/pyra-first-run.service

Thanks aTc for these informations. Look kind of "solid" to me ;)
I think this will be documented in this kind of form in a wiki like pandorawiki.org ?
Maybe it's to early for that, as there's nothing out yet...but for guys like me it would be nice not to ask, but to find this stuff ;)

Very nice, very clean Debian rootfs. Good job, guys! I wonder if it would be possible to start developing Pyra software for the system now? Probably something like a QEMU build that can somehow emulate most, if not all of the hardware on the Pyra would be a good idea, or maybe we can all still wait for the hardware. Ahahaha. I'm impatient, can't ya tell? :)

Very nice, very clean Debian rootfs. Good job, guys! I wonder if it would be possible to start developing Pyra software for the system now? Probably something like a QEMU build that can somehow emulate most, if not all of the hardware on the Pyra would be a good idea, or maybe we can all still wait for the hardware. Ahahaha. I'm impatient, can't ya tell? :)

Some of us have already started playing around with stuff and got some dosbox / Exagear stuff going. We still lack a 3D Driver though which makes things harder to test (Wine in exagear without OpenGL support) for full potential.

What would you run in QEMU out of curiosity?

What would you run in QEMU out of curiosity?

Hm, good question. Now that the Prya is actually coming along with almost complete dev-boards, it seems fruitless to try and make a QEMU system that emulates all the hardware of the system, unless developers without a dev-board wanted just a devkit or VM to make software and games specifically for the Prya. What Debian free software games have you guys tested with the platform, both 3D and 2D games? I'd guess anything that works and will run on Linux ARM generic would work fine.

First, I would probably try running 0 A.D, since that's a good way to test the 3D and performance, along with glxgears. My emulators of choice are Mednafen and MAME/MESS, so I'd also run those, along with FS-UAE, Stella, and Mupen64Plus. I saw the demo videos of PS1 and N64 coming along, so I don't think I'd need to test those.

The rest of the programs I usually use on Debian are Gimp, Iceweasel Aurora. I also have been trying to teach myself Blender 3D. Now I don't think i would ever render anything on the Pyra, but just as an example, how would a program like Blender 3D run if you just wanted to do some basic 3D modeling?

I just fired up this OS on my Pandora given my devboard has ended up in the graveyard and have found the touch screen / nubs don't respond anymore :(

Back