Doom

Hokay, as I have my SMC in my Card Reader at the moment, and I'm playing a lot of doom at the moment, let me give you a quick run down...

The Root of the SMC has these directories on it

<DIR>          GAME
<DIR>          MP3
<DIR>          GPSYS
<DIR>          GPMM
<DIR>          GPETC

The two we are interested in at the moment are GPMM and GAME

OK, in the GPMM directory you need to put:

GPdoom.fxe (That's all)...

int the GAME directory you need to create a DOOM directory:

<DIR>          doom

Then in the DOOM directory I have:

<DIR>            DOOM2
    11,159,840  DOOM.WAD
      163,840  DOOMSAV0.D
            84      DOOM.OPT
<DIR>          DOOM
<DIR>          TWILIGHT
    15,218,428 DOOM2.WAD

The important file here is the DOOM.WAD file. This can be found either on the internet (the demo version from ID.com) or from an original CD of the PC version.

You just copy that one file into the DOOM directory. The other directories are created by GPDOOM (I think).. But just to be complete here are the contents of those dirs:

DOOM2:

60,589 DOOMSAV0.DSG  (I guess from when I played DOOM2 briefly)

DOOM:

70,985 DOOMSAV0.DSG
70,185 DOOMSAV1.DSG
67,989 DOOMSAV2.DSG
55,433 DOOMSAV3.DSG
47,253 DOOMSAV4.DSG

(save files from my ongoing attempt to complete DOOM once and for all!)

and there's nothing in the TWILIGHT directory (left over from when I tried one of the other WADs (or mods if you'd rather think of it that way)).

When people talk about additional WADs they are talking about "homebrew" versions of DOOM where others have used one of the editting tools for DOOM to create extra levels - or even completely new games - e.g. a version of Goldeneye, a Western style FPS, even a version styled after final fantasy graphics... there are a load of them over at Drumaster's site (If I remember correctly).

Some you need the original DOOM2 WAD to play, some you don't.

Hope this helps

Argon0

Thanks, but no. I have had DOOM running for a day or so now. I knew where to put all of the files just,I forgot to decompress them.(since they were in RAR format.) Like I said, Thanks, but no. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn't look like the goldeneye game, Dairyman, it would look like the maps of Goldeneye, painted with Doom textures and Doom's enemies. Unless you had a TC (total conversion) wad with Goldeneye textures and sprites of the enemies. Not to mention the Doom engine has a major limitation with regards to ceilings and floors. I used to make maps for Doom all the time and the limitations are quite restrictive. Less so, with Hexen, but those needed special tricks that Raven put in there.

Works like this, basically.

-In order to have a wall, you need a line.
-Where the lines begin and end are called vertices.
-Each vertex has two numbers either minus or plus relative to map center that tells the engine where exactly it's located.
-The line is drawn between them, and the engine figures out if it shows a texture (wall, effect, rockface, living skin texture), if you can walk through it, if there's NULL space on the other side, if "using" or "shooting" the line causes anything to happen.

Vertices are permenantly where they are placed at creation until they're removed by an editor, so swinging doors and doors that open to the side aren't possible. Also rooms above other rooms aren't possible, like Quake.

Really frustrating when you have a certain effect in mind and you can't get it to work right. But the fact is, no rooms over rooms, no slanted floors, no underwater areas, no doors that open inward outward or sideways (startrek style).

But a lot of the wads out there have all their stuff together and everything's premade and hopefully glitch free. Some of them have extra textures and music and new weapon graphics and sounds. The Aliens TC (total conversions) had actual alien graphics and sounds added. Needed a hack to the original .EXE file, but it added a scary element to it.

Not having played the original Goldeneye I can't really comment on how accurate it is, however a mate loved the original I showed him this WAD, and he said its pretty close to the original - at least in the way it looks...

Try here for more info: http://gp32x.de/index.php?artc=869

Also you could try this site for more WADS: http://files.frashii.com/~sp00nz/Doom/download.php although I don't know how compatible they would be...

OR:

http://falken80.gp32news.com/download.htm Falken80s site - although it is in French...

Alternatively you could just search News for DOOM.

Argon0

Last edited by a moderator:
Back