Doom

You need to download a .wad that doesn't require doom1 or doom2 .wads.
Or get Doom1 or Doom2. Then follow the instructions in the readme.

A .wad file is the file that came from the original game publisher, ID Software.
The wad file contains the game. You will need to find either the shareware wad file or the full version wad file.

I believe you can get the shareware version from ID's web page and the full version... well I'm not going to say wherez to get it...

WAD files are the main files the DOOM game uses to hold all the map layouts graphics, music and so forth the game needs. You have a couple of options. Buy Doom or Doom2 and the main WADs come with. Download the shareware version of either and that has the shareware WADs with them, and they'll work.

One thing I can't really recommend with a good conscience is to find a pirate site and download a copy of Ultimate Doom (Doom 1) or Doom 2 and they'll be there. I don't know of any such sites out there, honestly.

there's a complete doom retro collection on the shop shelves for a reasonable price... well worth playing...

other than that, the shareware/trial version is easily available and quite fun too...

either version, the .WADs are the same for PC and GP32...

edit... and the .wad files go in gp/gpsys/doom ... I think... haven't played it in ages...

a quick google search will give you tons of wads... alot of them are really cool. just typt in "doom wad" and put em in that directory

You guys have got me REALLY confused! So, from what ya'll said, there is no absolute way that I can download all of these files in 1 download and put it on my GP? I would have to individually go in and install a DOOM .WAD in the directory that you posted. :(

it's possible someone somewhere has all the wads in one zip but be careful doing it that way you migh accidentally download one of the comercial wads and then you'll be a pirate... arrrgh

Oh, a 6-month jail term or a fine up to $1000 means nothing, I'm sure... I have TONS of PWADS which are external files with new maps and sometimes new graphics and sounds. Like 3 CD's full of PD WADS. Great stuff.

In your gp32 after formatting it in gpmanager. ;) or pc link. and you can use this program called GPdrive just read the readme in the zip file. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever I click on your link, the savefile thing comes up. I try to save, and it won't let me. I think because it is trying to save as "All Files", whenever I try to change it, the only file type is "All Files"

Hokay, as I have my SMC in my Card Reader at the moment, and I'm playing a lot of doom at the moment, let me give you a quick run down...

The Root of the SMC has these directories on it

<DIR> GAME
<DIR> MP3
<DIR> GPSYS
<DIR> GPMM
<DIR> GPETC

The two we are interested in at the moment are GPMM and GAME

OK, in the GPMM directory you need to put:

GPdoom.fxe (That's all)...

int the GAME directory you need to create a DOOM directory:

<DIR> doom

Then in the DOOM directory I have:

<DIR> DOOM2
11,159,840 DOOM.WAD
163,840 DOOMSAV0.D
84 DOOM.OPT
<DIR> DOOM
<DIR> TWILIGHT
15,218,428 DOOM2.WAD

The important file here is the DOOM.WAD file. This can be found either on the internet (the demo version from ID.com) or from an original CD of the PC version.

You just copy that one file into the DOOM directory. The other directories are created by GPDOOM (I think).. But just to be complete here are the contents of those dirs:

DOOM2:

60,589 DOOMSAV0.DSG (I guess from when I played DOOM2 briefly)

DOOM:

70,985 DOOMSAV0.DSG
70,185 DOOMSAV1.DSG
67,989 DOOMSAV2.DSG
55,433 DOOMSAV3.DSG
47,253 DOOMSAV4.DSG

(save files from my ongoing attempt to complete DOOM once and for all!)

and there's nothing in the TWILIGHT directory (left over from when I tried one of the other WADs (or mods if you'd rather think of it that way)).

When people talk about additional WADs they are talking about "homebrew" versions of DOOM where others have used one of the editting tools for DOOM to create extra levels - or even completely new games - e.g. a version of Goldeneye, a Western style FPS, even a version styled after final fantasy graphics... there are a load of them over at Drumaster's site (If I remember correctly).

Some you need the original DOOM2 WAD to play, some you don't.

Hope this helps

Argon0

Back