Doom-kids

tritt_conner

Still Fresh
Okay, so I bet most of us have read about how the GPKiDS has a rather small resolution. It's a shame, and hopefully Gamepark will change that before they release it. If they don't, then so be it, it is something that may or may not seal its fate.

Anyway. I have played many classics on the GBA, which also has a less then ideal resolution. Mainly the Doom ports. To tell you the truth, I never did once complain about how "little" I could see of the enviroment.. because I didn't even notice it.

doomgbane8.png
doomkidsxi8.png

Is that much of a difference? Not in my opinion. Can it work? It sure looks like it.
Feel free to comment, flame, whatever. =]

well, "3d" is a totaly different story than 2d as you can just render the scene with differen fov/res.
On 2d games you would most likely have to rescale some tiles or the whole screen wich would reduce IQ.

aapje89 posted on Aug 29 2006 at 04:43 PM said:
NoidZ posted on Aug 29 2006 at 09:15 PM said:
You'll notice it if you play doom on the XGP Kids.
I play doom an on ipod nano :p
S'ok, nobody's perfect. ;)

On a side note, you can't expect Doom to look and play very well at a smaller resolution than the minimum it was intended for. Look at your XGP-Kids mock-up, the (horizontal) viewing point is drastically reduced, making the whole screen look cluttered, not to mention that it would also affect gameplay.

As far as Doom playing goes, the GP32 is still the king gp32_console

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
tritt_conner posted on Aug 29 2006 at 07:08 PM said:
Is that much of a difference? Not in my opinion. Can it work? It sure looks like it.
Feel free to comment, flame, whatever. =]

Well I won't notice it because I won't buy a "kids". It is rather pointless to play cut down resolutions on a smaller screen when I already have a GP2X which has a much bigger screen and more resolution. What is the point?

Agreed. Doom should be playable. Heck, it might even look nicer on the small screen because textures aren't exactly high res. GBA just looks kinda bad because of the limited hardware.

But now let's try to play a SCUMM game. Should be nearly impossible because so much would be lost after scaling it down. Same with most emulated systems--they wouldn't be entirely viewable at a 1:1 ratio and scaling down would not only suck up valuable processor power, but it would be nasty to look at.

shinneri posted on Aug 29 2006 at 08:06 PM said:
Agreed. Doom should be playable. Heck, it might even look nicer on the small screen

If anything it'll only look better in game only as to slightly smoother frame rate (less to render onscreen) and slightly better from a distance (enemies further away will seem smoother/less blocky, I would think)

Don't think NICER really applies. The GUI bar would have to be cut off like is shown in the pics above OR scaled down to look like crap. The game area itself is different.

EDIT: Just me, or is the GBA version a bit too bright for the Doom 2 "atmosphere"?

Winterkid posted on Aug 29 2006 at 11:52 PM said:
EDIT: Just me at or is the GBA version a bit too bright for the Doom 2 "atmosphere"?
I'd bet anything that's to compensate for the dark, unlit screens of the original GBA's!

- Alex

Alex. posted on Aug 30 2006 at 04:55 AM said:
EDIT: Just me at or is the GBA version a bit too bright for the Doom 2 "atmosphere"?
I'd bet anything that's to compensate for the dark, unlit screens of the original GBA's!

- Alex
What if you play it on a GBA SP?

g4m3r posted on Sep 3 2006 at 11:52 PM said:
Alex. posted on Aug 30 2006 at 04:55 AM said:

- Alex
What if you play it on a GBA SP?
It'll be ugly. Some games came with settings to adjust brightness for either console, but I think Doom came before the SP...

Yeah, that's right. The GBA version of Doom was made before the SP was released or even announced. In fact, when you select your control config, it shows a picture of a GBA.

The increased brightness (looks like overkill with your computer monitor,) is not very noticeable when you're playing. Unless you compare it closely to the PC version.

Back