Doing a/v capturing "let's plays" with the Pandora

we6jbo

Still Fresh
Hi,

I'm interested in doing audio and video recording with the pandora.

Basically, I'm looking at a product called the HD PVR Rocket made by haupauge (http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr_rocket.html) and I'd like to hook that up to a portable system to record and place the recordings on Youtube.

I would like to do this with games that are not emulated on anything like Nintendo or Sony emulators and I'd also like to maintain the audio video feed coming out of the hand held screen/device while recording.

Will Open Pandora do this? Are there any recommendation on what brand or model of Pandora that I get? Are there any additional accessories that are recommended for doing this? I'm looking to doing this on the cheap but I'd like to eventually get this making a small amount of revenue+have fun for myself and something that I can do between working and going to college again so that's why I'm drifting towards something that I can carry.

That thing you linked records on its own, i am not sure where you need the Pandora for. 

If you are looking to do this on the cheap the Pandora may not be the best solution. 

First off that specific Hauppauge tuner may not be supported for Linux, Here is a list of Hauppauge tuners that work Linux: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge

Secondly Performance may be an issue, I've played with an HD PVR 1950(no HDMI recording, just HD tuner) with my 1Ghz Pandora(fastest model) and I could watch ATSC Digital  broadcasts that were 480p, but anything higher shuddered badly. This is outside the fact that recording is slightly more resource hungry.  Your best bet maybe waiting for the Pyra to come out which has a much faster processor, but the same issue with Linux drivers will still exist. 

EDIT: didn't notice that was a self contained recorder... It looks like you could watch videos off of it, only issues I see with the Pandora is that it encodes the videos in H.264, which the Pandora doesn't decode well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandora could be used to record on though, instead of a USB stick... but it's just storage of your files.

Or do you want to record what you're playing on your Pandora/any other handheld? In that case you need a SVHS/Composite to HDMI scaler/converter to go with it.

I wouldn't use the Pandora to edit video files on though but uploading to youtube should work fine I guess.

The only downside to using an external recorder on Pandora is that you can only reasonably get 576i video out of its ext port - a software based recorded could access the full 480p screen resolution.  I'm honestly not sure what software recorders exist for Pandora though, and what emulators you'd be able to record that way with a decent frame rate.

A number of youtube videos of the Pandora are made using a camera to record the screen directly, via some form of jig presumably.

I don't have an understanding on quality. Is 576i more than or less than 480p, 360p (from youtube) and would it matter if I were recording games made in the 2011 - 2014?

The hdpvr that I linked to says "Component video in from a PS3 with stereo audio" and it also says "HDMI from Xbox, PC game systems or other HDMI sources without HDCP"

Basically, I'd want to record something that looks like the quality in this Youtube video (I'm just picking one at random that has a high rating):
https://www.youtube.com/embed/YJrSoujwc84?feature=oembed

Hmm.

My only advice right now is... DO NOT BUY ANY EQUIPMENT YET!!

Use Google or Wikipedia to find out all the technical details of what it is you want to do.

I haven't watched the video you linked to, because I'm accessing this forum with Tapatalk, and fixing your purposefully broken link is too much of a hassle.

Just link it properly.

There is no dictate here that videos are not allowed, so I don't even know why this is an issue for you.

I'm sure that if I watched the video I would understand what you are aiming to do, but right now it isn't very clear to me.

... And I don't know how the Pandora would help you with this more than a much cheaper, more appropriate net book or laptop... unless you are aiming for a very specific target audience, which I am sure you are not.

I apologize for the slight snarkiness. It's almost 5am and I haven't been able to fall asleep.

The Pandora will not record video by itself, just audio using the line-in feature or built-in microphone. If you have a decent enough PC, just use a recording software. THere may very well be trial versions of Fraps etc.

Better forget making any money in the first two or three years just by doing let's-plays. The ppl making dough on youtube have been building their fanbase for years and have millions of views per vid. Those guys often have a great voice (e.g. Markiplier) and are really good at talking. Just sit down, play any game you like and try commenting for 15 minutes straight. Record yourself using a smartphone or something - then listen to yourself.

It's almost 5am and I haven't been able to fall asleep.
Sounds just like my yesterday.

You could always invest in a Canopus ADHC box which will allow you to take input from any RCA jack / component devices via FireWire 400 or 800.

The Pandora will not record video by itself,
This is not completely true...http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=ssr

The only problem is that if you use to record applications the speed is ok, but for games maybe not (depend on the heavyness of the game, and also what library used to run...)

There is a video of a game on this thread recorder with my port of SSR...http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/14066-simple-screen-recorder/

Anyway this Hauppage little box is interesting..and maybe is working also with Pandora when linked with a TV-out cable (using  SVIDEO output) if i understand right the specs.

Maybe the quality of recording will be lower that HDMI.

My advice... wait for the Pyra and (i think) with this box you could be able to record (with HDMI)  any game that is available for her....but should be clear that you must wait developers start to release their port as the pandora software maybe not fully compatilble.

No, Component is superior from- /different than- composite or svhs. Maybe a composite or svhs to component converter is cheaper than svhs - hdmi. Dunno about the quality difference in the end though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Software recorders are not an option on the Pandora I think but maybe I'm wrong. ;)

Component, s-video and composite are all analogue standard, and pretty easily converted - you just need a few dumb filters IIRC.  Going to a digital standard like HDMI you'd need to sample the analogue signals into a framebuffer (and scale it), then send that, an inherently more complicated process - although with the margins on these things these days you might only be talking a fiver extra.

The best you can get out of a Pandora is s-video though, and if that recorded can only do down to component, you'll need to split out the Cr/Cb signals from the chroma line.

Thank you to everyone here for your advice on what I was perusing. I've decided that due to the composite/s-video connections not matching the connections on the capture device that I was looking at that I'd instead wait until the Pyra comes out. I did find out that nvidia shield does have hdmi. Not my preferred choice but I did want to spend some time trying out this idea during the only time that I would have a lot of time available.

Back