Does Pandora Share A Screen With The Archos 5 Internet Tablet?

strider_mt2k

I was setting up an Archos 5 internet tablet demo at work the other day (interesting piece, although it's a little buggy) and was impressed by 800x480 resistive touch screen.
Very very nice display.

Is there any chance that the Pandora folks could be using the same LCD panel?

Not sure; it's the same panel as the Archos 605, and to clarify, it's 800x480. Oh, the things you'll do with those 80 extra pixels!

[strike]yes[/strike] no, it's the same screen as the archos 605 except for:

MWeston said:
Enverex said:
Replacement screens can be purchased already, they are £120 though (look up the Archos 605 screens).
Actually, the Archos 605 screen won't work in Pandora. Even though it's basically the same display with all of the 60 pins on the cable being the same, they are flipped! (Pin 1 = Pin 60). Archos took the display and asked the manufacturer to make a custom version with the reverse pinout and the cable off to one side instead of down the center. Comparisons to the Archos screen are only good for screen quality and glossiness analysis.

MWeston said:
The PCB in the Archos 605 is off to one side and the hard drive is on the other side. They did that so they could make it nice and easy for them to build and since they can place an order for a million displays, what manufacturer would say no?

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49994-pandora-accessories-at-gbax-shop/

edit: nevermind i thought you said 605 :/
the pandora is 800x480 and you say the archos 5 is 800x400 so i guess not

Last edited by a moderator:
WhiteBat said:
[strike]yes[/strike]no, it's the same screen as the archos 605 except for:

MWeston said:
Enverex said:
Replacement screens can be purchased already, they are £120 though (look up the Archos 605 screens).
Actually, the Archos 605 screen won't work in Pandora. Even though it's basically the same display with all of the 60 pins on the cable being the same, they are flipped! (Pin 1 = Pin 60). Archos took the display and asked the manufacturer to make a custom version with the reverse pinout and the cable off to one side instead of down the center. Comparisons to the Archos screen are only good for screen quality and glossiness analysis.

MWeston said:
The PCB in the Archos 605 is off to one side and the hard drive is on the other side. They did that so they could make it nice and easy for them to build and since they can place an order for a million displays, what manufacturer would say no?

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49994-pandora-accessories-at-gbax-shop/

Well that really sucks, but it doesn't matter anyway, you're more likely to order one of the non 605 screens than to open a 605 for a replacement.

When companies do stuff like this it makes me mad, Archos did this so you couldn't fix your own device, you had to go to them to get it fixed, there is no other reason for switching it around.

EDIT: I'll never buy anything Archos makes because of this, they have a 'throw away and don't fix' mentality. Watch The Story of Stuff for more info on it.

second exodous said:
Well that really sucks, but it doesn't matter anyway, you're more likely to order one of the non 605 screens than to open a 605 for a replacement.

When companies do stuff like this it makes me mad, Archos did this so you couldn't fix your own device, you had to go to them to get it fixed, there is no other reason for switching it around.

EDIT: I'll never buy anything Archos makes because of this, they have a 'throw away and don't fix' mentality. Watch The Story of Stuff for more info on it.

Yeah, Archos user policy is a huge pile of shit, they only support a device for one year maximum and then stop delivering patches and updates. Does not sound that bad, but normally their firmware is alpha or beta state on release and is hardly is not any better after a year, my Archos 605 still crashs on a regular basis (once - twice a week) and that really sucks.
Oh yeah, they also make the HDDs encrypted so you can't go and buy a bigger replacement one as the fw checks for the hardware key of the drive and if it does not match it won't boot, etc. -.-

But the screen of it is really nice, though I think the one used in the Archos 5 is even better, but if I recall correctly is was specifically made for Archos and therefore had some really neat and new technology (at least they made a huge buzz out of it).
Still the screen of the Archos 605 is great, it's bright has a good contrast and pretty colours, what's more to ask for?

foxblock out

second exodous said:
WhiteBat said:
[strike]yes[/strike]no, it's the same screen as the archos 605 except for:

MWeston said:
Enverex said:

MWeston said:

There are many reasons for Archos to do so, not least of which is trying to cram as much as possible into the smallest space they could. I'm sure Craig and the rest of the crew will tell you that its probably more difficult to design around the components rather than have them tailored to fit your designs.

There are other ways to get parts for the Archos devices, e-bay is an aladins cave of "for spairs/repairs".

dschroeter said:
Not sure; it's the same panel as the Archos 605, and to clarify, it's 800x480. Oh, the things you'll do with those 80 extra pixels!

Don't you mean 64,000 extra pixels? (800x80 == 64,000)

That's a lot of pixels. You could probably run some pretty crazy gif animations on those

Kyosys said:
That's a lot of pixels. You could probably run some pretty crazy gif animations on those

Or run 1000 lemmings walk cycle animations tiled! (8x8px a piece)

I was going with the implied 80 extra pixels "of vertical space". But kudos on the math skills!

borgqueenx said:
http://www.archos.com/products/gen_5/index.html?lang=en

seems the archos also has 800*480...
Yes. What's your point?

borgqueenx said:
WizardStan said:
borgqueenx said:
http://www.archos.com/products/gen_5/index.html?lang=en

seems the archos also has 800*480...
Yes. What's your point?
people here thought the archos had 800*400 as resolution.
Oh, I get you. I thought you were talking about something else.
Yeah, that was a mistake. Strider updated his post a while ago.

second exodous said:
im as godless liberal as the next guy but jesus christ it's pretty pathetic that they actually show that in schools

Back