Omap3 (pandora And Archos 5) The Fastest Way To Browse The Web With A

mazza558

...mobile device!

Clicky

Original link

In a mobile browser test between the Archos 5 (same as Pandora processor), the iPhone and the Nokia N810, the Archos won by miles. Sure, it's using Opera, but the iPhone uses the supposedly fast Safari, and still loses out. Looks like we're going to get a very nice internet experience indeed!

mazza558 said:
...mobile device!

Clicky

Original link

In a mobile browser test between the Archos 5 (same as Pandora processor), the iPhone and the Nokia N810, the Archos won by miles. Sure, it's using Opera, but the iPhone uses the supposedly fast Safari, and still loses out. Looks like we're going to get a very nice internet experience indeed!

Now, we just have to find a way to compare apples, oranges and bananas :D
Sorry :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
mazza558 said:
...mobile device!

Clicky

Original link

Please explain to me how the Archos 5's processor and screen are different from the Pandora's.

mazza558 said:
mali said:
mazza558 said:
...mobile device!

Clicky

Original link

Please explain to me how the Archos 5's processor and screen are different from the Pandora's.

Er, it was what is often referred to as a joke. You know, something that's considered by the person delivering the statement as something being funny.

A joke. J..O...K...E.

3/10

The deciding factor here is more likely the browser than the hardware. Opera (which the Archos uses) is not an open source program.

lubidog said:
mazza558 said:
mali said:
mazza558 said:
...mobile device!

Clicky

Original link

Er, it was what is often referred to as a joke. You know, something that's considered by the person delivering the statement as something being funny.

A joke. J..O...K...E.

3/10

Whoops, thought you were saying "sorry" as in "i don't accept this evidence"

mazza558 said:
...mobile device!

Clicky

Original link

The engadget article wasn't that complimentary really. It said that it loaded fast but the interface was clumsy to navigate.

The iphone and N810 are slower (ok, not the iphone), older processors (the n810 was also running with cpufreq on); the times are large for some of the tests but not so large for others. If you scale the N810 times so that it's 'running' at 600MHz (rather than 400MHz), then the results are slightly different. The Archos is still faster in 7 tests, but the N810 (@600MHz) is faster in 3 and in general the figures are pretty close.

I tried to load 'digg' on a N800 in 330MHz mode with Opera. 28 seconds (39 for microb in the table, one of the slowest links). 1 second better than the iphone. That page is a bit special though. Almost all of it loads very fast, then there's a long time where the browser keeps loading I don't know what.

I don't want to look at the article again, but I think it wasn't mentioned which OS version was running on n800. The latest has significant browser speed improvements.

Three different browsers on three different devices with three different OS on three different platforms at three different clock speeds. Not much exploitable info to extract from that comparison. ;)

Back