Does my 'classic' need a SGX update?

It's not easy to find out what version you've currently got installed - as I wrote in the 'some hardware questions' thread (or whatever it was called) it's not always possible to determine the version exactly, as far as I can tell. But if you've never run the SGX driver updater you can be pretty confident you've still got the original default, since I think it's still the same all the way up to 1.60.

I wouldn't suggest you need to update your driver. As far as I can tell it's mainly needed for Mupen and Reicast, and you'd be lucky to get much out of those on a CC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info.

My CC seems happy to overclock to 1Ghz, so Mupen is actually pretty playable - I've been playing Banjo Kazooie for a few days... just wish I could figure out how the save states work - it seems a bit random which one gets loaded...

If I updated the driver would it improve performance or is it display issues only? Because BK seems to work fine as it is, so maybe I shouldn't worry about it...

The newer driver won't solve graphicissues on a cc unit as it is the last driver supported by this sgx revision. Ghz abd rebirth models have a newer sgx revision these drivers are for. They are not even installable on a cc unit afaik.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You can force newer drivers on CC by copying binary blobs intended for newer chips, but the whole thing just crashes.

Back