Do You Use A Gnu/linux Distro On Your Main Computer?

Do you use a GNU/Linux distro on your main computer?

• Yes

Votes: 210 69.1%
  • No

Votes: 94 30.9%

• Total voters

Yeah, I'm using arch on all of my computers at present. I'm not sure that makes upgrading entirely painless though, but at least anything that breaks things or otherwise isn't to your satisfaction happens sooner so you can work around it, rather than you doing a distupgrade (or whatever the yum equivalent is) and suddenly you potentially experiencing all of that at once.

Thats exactly the problem with fedora, at least once a year. It's just to much change at once. I know that arch breaks things too from time to time, but first of all, the arch community seems to be much more competent than the fedora one in finding solutions, and second there wiki is just waaaay better in my opinion. I'm even looking up my fedora problems in the arch wiki :D.

It's amazing how such a short thread of only 10 pages can last so many years. May as well add what I'm up to now.

Pi400 - Pretty much my main these days, twisterOS
X230 - Tablet. I tend to keep Linux Mint running on thinkpads. I like the desktop environment, and I've never had the system break.
System76 Darter Pro (darp5) - Has qubes on it for fun and profit. I'm hoping to have some fun with e-gpu passthrough on that computer.

EDIT: Voidlinux is still my favorite distro. However, I'd like it on my pi400 and their pi4 builds don't exist yet >< So for the moment, it's stuck in a qube.

It's amazing how such a short thread of only 10 pages can last so many years. May as well add what I'm up to now.

Pi400 - Pretty much my main these days, twisterOS
X230 - Tablet. I tend to keep Linux Mint running on thinkpads. I like the desktop environment, and I've never had the system break.
System76 Darter Pro (darp5) - Has qubes on it for fun and profit. I'm hoping to have some fun with e-gpu passthrough on that computer.

EDIT: Voidlinux is still my favorite distro. However, I'd like it on my pi400 and their pi4 builds don't exist yet >< So for the moment, it's stuck in a qube.
What’s an e-gpu passthrough?
Also, if it’s not too delicate a question, how do you generate profit by using qubes?

I guess it's an external GPU thingy. Which you might call a passthrough since it effectively passes through the PCIe signals from the originating computer to an external box over a USB cable or some other non-native cable.

And I guess the profit might come in the form:
1. Install qubes
2. ...
3. ...
4. Profit!

What’s an e-gpu passthrough?
Also, if it’s not too delicate a question, how do you generate profit by using qubes?

Yea, e-gpu pass through means that we take an external video card and try to pass it through the machine in which it is attached to a virtual machine that it is running. My end goal is to be able to easily pass my graphics card to whatever VM I happen to want it to go to.

For example, to test the performance of a video game played on a windows VM and compare it to that same game played in a Linux VM.

How do I profit? I don't mean "profit" in terms of money, but in terms of a learning, security, and thinking. When you go from what we are all familiar with and switch to an entirely different workflow concept like qubes has (every app pretty much runs in its own virtual machine), it does something to our brain.

I guess it's like learning a different way of programming, or how becoming fluent in another spoken language can affect your way of thinking.

I'm using Fedora on my main computer and I actually prefer the "break everything at once" strategy. Though looks like I upgraded 24->26->28->30 without major issues, and ended up doing a clean install for 32.

I'm using Fedora on my main computer and I actually prefer the "break everything at once" strategy. Though looks like I upgraded 24->26->28->30 without major issues, and ended up doing a clean install for 32.

Fedora has been doing well at upgrades for the past 10 versions or so.

Pretty impressive, however, I prefer the "everything can break any day" strategy. Love the rolling distros.

My Fedora currently refuses to upgrade, as I have a NVME SSD retrofitted in an old C2Q Laptop. For booting I need the Bootloader and my Initrd on the Sata Disk. The Initrd needs to be compiled with NVME drivers enabled. Something somehow (I didn't figure out what exactly) breaks when I try to upgrade :/ . Fedora upgrades fine, as long as you don't have tons of special cases :D.

I usually have dualboot Fedora and Windows. I still prefer Windows for gaming, but Fedora for everything else.
Upgrading Fedora has not been a problem in recent years. I went from 28 to 32 without any major issues.
I also prefer the "break everything at once" strategy, because then I can start the upgrade when I have time for things like that. Plus: it rarely does break anyway (at least Fedora Workstation, Debian Server is an entirely different story in my experience, but there may be additional factors causing that).
Also with Fedora it's not like you are forced to upgrade within a few weeks or else you have an outdated system. It is no problem to wait until you do have the time.

Anyway, the good news is that you have a choice, and there is likely a distro out there which will fit your needs. There are pros and cons for each of them.

(And +1 on ArchWiki being the best)

Manjaro laptop for home and Manjaro laptop for work, and now a Manjaro phone (PinePhone).

Although admittedly while it's working well, I haven't moved full time to using the PinePhone.

Plan on migrating to Arch at some point in the future for a simpler, more controlled installation.

And yes, ArchWiki rules. It's my first go-to place for doing pretty much anything Linux.

Back