Do You Use A Gnu/linux Distro On Your Main Computer?

Do you use a GNU/Linux distro on your main computer?

• Yes

Votes: 210 69.1%
  • No

Votes: 94 30.9%

• Total voters

No, because Left4Dead.

Used to though. Probably will do again someday. After PC gaming dies. (Scheduled for a year or two from now. :-( )

I use 5 computers regularly - My home PC and my file server runs Ubuntu 9.10, My work PC and my laptop runs Xubuntu 9.10, and my wife's netbook quickboots into Android so I never bother booting all the way into windows since most of the time I just want to surf.

I have a second work PC that runs XP, but I have to because the billing software won't run in Wine, and virtualizing is just a waste since that's all that I really run on that PC anyways. Indeed the only time I mess with Windows is when something is broken, or it's work related.

no, because I'm lazy... but I do plan to... some day... maybe

I did two upgrades to my Vista running computer.
First upgrade was from Vista to XP (my computer is just faster with XP and it is not so big)
Second dual boot Ubuntu where Ubuntu is the first boot.
I am quite new to Linux and i use it more and more.
I also use Crunchbang and puppy every now and then booting from a SDHC card.
Puppy arcade would be cool on Pandora.

The advantages of Linux sort of fade away if you're duel booting all the time.

Anyway, I've got Cygwin installed. I've got my bash prompt. I'm happy.

I'm running Kubuntu on my main, Ubuntu on a laptop, Arch on a server, Fedora 12 on another server, openSUSE on another laptop, and there's one laptop that currently lies disassembled on my table whose hard drive contains an installation of Haiku... I've got the FOSS OS aspect covered ;)

I dual-boot Win7 and Arch. (Win7 is my main, which is, to a large extent, due to Steam and the fact that I'm doing a large project this semester in XNA, and Visual Studio is great for C#/XNA.)

Vorporeal said:
I dual-boot Win7 and Arch. (Win7 is my main, which is, to a large extent, due to Steam and the fact that I'm doing a large project this semester that in XNA, and Visual Studio is great for C#/XNA.)
XNA: GameMaker in 3D

*ducks*

No, no, I kid, I kid... XNA is pretty good, sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
(naw)mcx said:
No because I've never had a good experience with Linux yet.
+1.... but I do have a computer that's dedicated to linux, just not my main.... windows 7 really is pretty nice

EDIT: and I'm one of those Ubuntu noobs

(naw)mcx said:
No because I've never had a good experience with Linux yet.
Yes, because I've never had a good experience with Windows yet. :p
That's a lie. I still use Windows from time to time for the odd game, but I've found I actually enjoy using Linux more than I ever did Windows.
Except for a few programs that use a stuffed up file-manager dialog, but that's not Linux's fault so much as the developers choosing not to follow the standard, or using a weird interpretation of the standard. They do the same thing in Windows as well.

Back