Do you think I'd make a good moderator?

Do you honestly think I'd make a good moderator?

• Total voters

Unfortunately, I have to say I don't really think BP would make a good mod, simply because of his early forum history and the fact that, as mentioned above, he seems to either fail to read people properly or for other reasons enters into arguments (wether serious or not). However, I want to say that I quite like BP, and could certainly be an option for the future.

However, contrary to what was mentioned by Exophase, I think that this board needs at least one other mod to pick up when Gruso is not around - leaving all of the work to ED would not be right.

This post is probably too far off-topic for this thread already - should we start a dedicated thread or do you generally disagree with my considerations?
Baby steps. Just moving threads to the right subforums here would help immensely, so if even that's not being done, the other things you suggest are mere pie-in-the-sky wishes.

As for organizing things, the PandoraWiki is meant to be the long-term memory of the community, so that useful information isn't forgotten just because it has slid off the first page, or because it was posted on a different Pandora forum than the one you typically hang out at.

Also, if Craig is reading this, I'm not sure if you've seen the replies to your comment here, but please read them if you haven't; that thread has already slid down the page, but it's an important one, and related to this topic.

P.S. I don't remember Chip's forum move happening in the way you describe; as I recall, he attempted the move because Hando, the admin of GP32X couldn't be contacted and there were technical problems. The situation was resolved when EvilDragon was given admin access and the necessary technical fixes were made. It was a completely different rationale than the one for the later split, at least as it was stated to us forum members.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheous is an already proven candidate and is highly capable of actually helping people and pointing them in the right direction, unlike me where i put effort into being a sarcastic ass. WizardStan imo would be the fairest mod i could think of, where he would never abuse his power, nor let his personal opinion affect any decision. Exophase would be a great mod for the developer corners of this forum, even though he likes to argue to hell and back, but rarely about opinions, and more about facts, and i can't imagine him going on power-trips.

We need another 3 mods, imo.

1 for Pandora.

1 for iControlPad.

1 for Off-topic,

Ed and Gruso can be Admins who are in charge of the other 3 mods.

This place has not only shortage of people to keep order here, but also missing set of rules. Say I was a new user, how would I know I'm not supposed to post links to ROM sites? It might be completely legal in my country to download ROMs, for example, and I can have no idea about things like DMCA which are completely irrelevant where I live anyway.

So I agree more people and more organization is needed, not BP perhaps, though it looks like Craig is close to promoting him anyway.

Without going into details : communication problems between some mods and Craig, mainly.

And the real need to have an OpenPandora owned forum ;)

I read everything via "view new content" so I didn't realize things were getting posted in wrong forums >_> Yeah, a mod to fix that would be good. It's a pretty simple task so probably your best bet is going for someone who doesn't have big visions on doing all sorts of other things. I'm sure Prometheus would be as good of a mod here as she is in the other place.

BP I really like you, and you add a lot of color to the forums. You contribute a lot of your time and effort into making things interesting. From your very first posts I could see that you wanted to be a large part of this community.

While you are very enthusiastic you tend to get overexcited. A mod needs to have a cool head and not get aggravated easily (Not that you do, but do you remember how long it took Gruso to finally get mad at you?). Also, mods MODERATE discussion, not create it. You like to make the content, not watch patiently from the sideline.

I encourage your creativity on the forums and elsewhere. You bring a lot to the table, and you generate a lot of discussion that might not have been talked about without your posts. Personally I hope you get started coding, because I have a feeling that you would take a lot of that energy into porting and making games. I know you want to be a mod, but I want you to be a developer!

Edit: Thank you for the compliment Sony.

Personally I hope you get started coding, because I have a feeling that you would take a lot of that energy into porting and making games. I know you want to be a mod, but I want you to be a developer!
^Make this a poll option and I'll vote for it.

Well, when I get into college (shooting for Stony Brook), I wanna take a lot of classes regarding that. Perhaps major in Computer Science. SB has a C++ class, among lots of others of benefit! But for now, I wanna focus on getting into the damned place.

It's never to early to start! But I would seriously consider a math degree instead of a CS degree. I thought about getting a CS degree, but when I found out about how much more math majors got paid and had a higher job satisfaction (I see those figures everywhere in different forms), I was hooked. Math is essential for programming and if you get a math degree you can go into ANY math related field (there are a lot, programming is only one of many cool fields). It lets you have the ability to change where you are working so you don't necessarily have to be stuck in one career path. And if you teach math for something like 4-6 years you can get ~15k of your student loans forgiven by the government (if you lived in some European countries you would have ALL of your loans forgiven). AND! The avrage pay for a math majors STARTS at 45k a year. Math rocks B)

It's never to early to start! But I would seriously consider a math degree instead of a CS degree.

While I don't mean any disrespect, if you're so easily swayed by figures like that it probably means that you didn't really know what you wanted to do anyway (which is fine). My advice to BP would be to learn some programming so that he knows what he is getting into, but otherwise ignoring everyone else who says 'this degree is better than that one'.

Well, when I get into college (shooting for Stony Brook), I wanna take a lot of classes regarding that. Perhaps major in Computer Science. SB has a C++ class, among lots of others of benefit! But for now, I wanna focus on getting into the damned place.
Dude, I wrote my first program when I was three. You're already some 12 or 13 years behind, don't wait until you're in college to start :p

While I don't mean any disrespect, if you're so easily swayed by figures like that it probably means that you didn't really know what you wanted to do anyway (which is fine). My advice to BP would be to learn some programming so that he knows what he is getting into, but otherwise ignoring everyone else who says 'this degree is better than that one'.
I have always been interested in science, chemistry, engineering and technology. When I saw those numbers I was 'swayed' because I was overjoyed that I didn't have to choose one field. What every teacher and website has told me is that if I have a strong background in math I will be able to go far in a vast majority of those fields. I don't have anything against CS, I just know how people tend to have varied interests and how they don't like to limit their choices. I don't know about BP, but I want to be able to do EVERYTHING! I know it's not really possible, but I would like to go as far as I can with my learning. I am hoping that math will allow me to achieve all of the cool things that I have every wanted to do, CS included.

(Wow offtopic! From BP being a mod to what his very destiny will be! See what I mean BP? You make lots of good conversation!)

I think I'd rather just stick to CS. Oh, by the way, for what it's worth, I HAVE used Game Maker to write a few simple games in the past. Most are either lost to time or bumming around as incomplete engines, but I think two or three of them are online.

Back