Direct X 10 Cards Now Out

Last edited by a moderator:
You kids have wild beasts. I have a 1.8Ghz 1.0Gb RAM desktop with a seven year old Nvidia graphics card, and a 700Mhz laptop with 128Mb RAM. Oh and one heck of a portable computer, 200Mhz dualcore with 64Mb RAM ;)

- Alex
Oh ya, well my lappy is a 133mhz P1 with MMX (ZOMG) with 2mb of video ram (holy hell, dedicated videoram!!!) and I personally maxed out the ram to 128mb.

Looks crap and the Radeon R600 will spank it ;).

I was looking at these DX10 cards and the 'next gen' gaming pc's a couple of days ago and some of the power requirements are pretty scary. I can't find the requirements for the GeForce 8800GTX, but the Radeon R600 will need at least 200W for itself. Put it in xFire and throw in a Duo and you need at least 560W to power them alone. Throw in the hard drives, optical drives, RAM and a physX card and you are looking at needing atleast a 700W PSU, probably even 1000W.
I had been planning on getting such a computer sometime after xmas, but I don't have a clue where I could put it so that it is properly cooled.
Generally, these are inflated wattages from component manufacturers-- e.g. my 6800GT claimed something about needing a 400-500w PSU. In actuality, it runs just fine with my 380W Antec Phantom PSU. The reasoning is that low-end PSUs have lots of watts-- e.g. 1000W, but most of them are on the 3.3v and 5.0v rails which most components don't use, but it's cheaper to make this way. What matters is the amperage on the 12v rails, which components actually draw from (GPUs, CPUs, HDDs and what have you). You don't need some sort of obscene $400 PSU to drive a high-end system, you just need to analyze their 12v current draws, add them up, find a suitable PSU to handle that load and give yourself a little headroom.

Back