Did You Get Your Retail Wiz? Post About It Here!

I just got my Wiz today from ThinkGeek. I'm really having a blast with it so far, and the screen tearing hasn't really bothered me much yet. I'll probably apply the fix I heard about later if it gives me problems. Gonna keep playing around with it and looking forward to communicating with the rest of you in the future!

Got mine this morning, from adictron.com. :)

I've tried some emulators & homebrews, and I can only say one thing : I love it ! :p
The diagonal tearing is not that bad, let's say that it makes it even more charming :D Well, I don't have much more to say ATM... I'll go back to my new baby now !

Cheers.

aho said:
I finally got my Wiz today. Had to travel a "bit" (wasted 2 hours) to some customs office and pay 25€ extra there. That was annoying for 3 reasons: a) 25€, b) 2 f-ing hours(!), and c) I got ANOTHER F-ING CUSTOMS OFFICE right across the street. Literally. Across the street.

Oh well... but I got my Wiz now. :)

Yes, for Europe countries, if ordering from places like Console-Source, GP2X-Store, etc there is the customs "extra price" not included in the price :( ...25€ or even higher sometimes...

Order Wiz from Adictron instead. Good price and shipping from Europe, so no custom fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't take it and ordered a Wiz, I'm not sure what is pulling me towards buying the wiz even though it does seem that the Dingoo is a better buy. I mean there are definitely issues with the Wiz...where as the issues seem not so great with the Dingoo. The Dingoo also seems to run just as good or better than the wiz for most emulators. The controls also seem better on the Dingoo. SEems like other people keep choosing the Wiz over the Dingoo even though there is really no great benifit at the moment to buy it. Must be the fact that it looks more technologically advanced.. even though by the time the kinks are worked out we will likely have a new unit in our hands.

I had enough of using my Motoralla Razr to play games on while commuting, the little controls drive me crazy. Games are expensive for what they are, etc. I only had a hunch something like this existed and did a search yesterday for hand held emulator.

I was looking for cell phone options to play games on but lets face it, cell phone controls suck! I don't like carrying stuff but this should be small enough to be like holding a second cell phone.

I ordered mine from thinkgeek.com as per reviews from this website, it was 179+ 12 dollars next day shipping. I never get next day but it was only 5 bucks more and I really want this thing, can't remember when I wanted something so badly...

Yesterday I did what I should have done a long time ago: bought a GPH GP2X WIZ at ED's webshop :)

At the moment I'm still waiting for the Pandora to arrive, and my old GP2X F100 is currently laying here beside me as it will be transformed into a pimped arcade stick. As soon as the WIZ arrives I will let you know my experiences with it. I'm expecting it to arrive somewhere next week.

Been using the GP2X for over three years and even managed to do two presentations in school for it, and also made a very detailed review about it of about 15 pages (complete history, possibilities, software that's out there, specifications, etc).

Hey Guys

I'm long awaiting the Pandora as most of us are. I really want to try out the Wiz while I wait.

My main reason for Purchase is MAME,Snes,Genesis.

Anyone in Australia sell these?

I also ordered mine at adictron.com.
Came the day before yesterday. I ordered shipment via Airmail Europe, which is said to take 1-2 weeks, finally took 3 days (!!!) to arrive.
Shop is pretty basic, has it still in stock and if you're located in Europe the price is unbeatable.
Payment via PayPal is possible (which I screwed up the first time and killed my order, but ordering again was not a problem).

Still having some issues with getting the apps I want to run, but Gameboy and Mame is already running very smoothly.

so long,
derdritte

Mine was posted today and I hope it arrives somewhere this week. Don't know what ED uses to send out his products, but it normally should only take a few days.

Mines sitting in the post office from customs waiting to be sent down to me, hopefully it gets on an early truck tomoz and I get it ^_^
Got mine from play-asia

i received it today. a impressive handheld with a wonderful screen, but the screen is really small. it difficult to accept a 2.8' screen size when you played a 3.5' with gp2x and gp32.

But the screen colors and blacks are awesome. see my new topic : I Tell You The Truth About Differents Emulators) in emualtion wiz section.

i think i will always dream of a 3.5' oled screen until i get it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my Wiz today, highly recommend Thinkgeek.com thanks guys

I'm just loving it, I think it looks great. The buttons feel a lot nicer then I thought it would be, and the screen wow.. so clear and great viewing angle. The screens a little small for my liking but it's growing on me :)

The Tear is bloody noticable in some emu's like Snes,Mame, But Genesis must have that pollux fix on cause it looks fantastic. Definatly fav emu right now perfect Genesis emulation :)

Trying some homebrew out now :)

GOT ONE!!!
I also ordered from Thinkgeek.com, 2 day shipping, they delivered.

Just started college and had extra HS Graduation money, after a laptop, and I decided to get myself a little toy for the middle of boring lectures.
I dislike the diagonal tear, but, I'm one of the people that can live with a little flaws :).

Currently have SNES (110 Roms), Neo Geo (11 Roms), Gameboy (0 Roms), Gameboy Advanced (3 Roms, English MOTHER 3 FTW), Playstation (0 Roms), Genesis (4 Roms), NES (Ridiculous amount), MAME (7, In The Hunt ftw).
Looking forward to screaming in class playing Street Fighter :).

I like the size of the screen, old 320x240 res games look even more detailed! Also smaller screen = less power consumption = longer battery life, and they do seem to last a long time.

As for the diagonal tearing issue, it doesn't bother me. Normally this sort of thing would annoy the hell out of me, but I reckon it's one of those things if you pay too much attention to it you'll let it bother you! It doesn't happen all that often anyway.

My only real dissappointment is the C64 emulator, which I was kinda counting on (yep should have done more research really), but having OutcaST Arari ST emulator makes up for this somewhat - an excellent emulator, and arguably the most mature computer (non console) emulator on the Wiz. Actually having said that, VICE is actually very mature, but because of the Wiz-specific flaws, it doesn't count!

Personally I'm loving this thing, best handheld emulation unit so far IMO, I just hope the emulators continue to be developed, but having said that even with the current software library there is plenty to stave off boredom!

Love it!

I just got my Wiz today from thinkgeek. I've already loaded up most console emus, and registered here because I'm waiting (forever) for the CPS2 to cache roms. So I might be active around here or I might lurk in the shadows.

So far, I like the Wiz for what it does. Not so much on how the buttons feel loose. That kind of kills the mood. Hopefully someone comes up with a mod for that. I'm pretty pleased overall with the performance. But of course, I didn't come in expecting perfection using emulators and all. But, it's close to perfection, I think (so thanks to the devs).

Got mine a couple of weeks ago from GP2X Shop. I'm overall satisfied so far (screen quality in particular is very good). Also, many programs are already working well, so I'd like to show developers my appreciation for all their efforts. Cheers!

I finally got my Wiz (yesterday actually, but was too busy to really play with it), I had a SD card prepared with all the most interesting stuff I could find, and was waiting eargerly to see how they'd work out.

Overall, I think it's a cute little machine, with some serious and less serious problems..

First up, and least serious (to me anyway), is the OLED display, my machine have one of those OLED's where when showing a single tone on the whole screen, it seems like there is a slight rgb noise filter on, small variations in the color-tone of each pixel.
However, I don't care and find it pleasing to look at anyway.

The size of the things is not really something one should complain about (after all, I knew the size when I bought it), but it's a bit too small for my hands, and after a session of 30 minutes, my hands are compleately cramped up.

The main interface seems slow (to me anyway, knowing that it's a 500 mhz machine with 3D acceleration, I'd expect to be able to scroll down as quick as I can manage to push the buttons), again, not really an issue, but to me it indicates that the code behind the menu must be pretty bad. (how hard is it to redraw the position of a scrollbar.... shouldn't take a noticable amount of time imho)

Now for the one major downside (imo):
Tearing.. I hoped the 1.1.0 firmware would get rid of that, but it didn't.. In the menu, it seems that the tearing is vertical (which makes sense, considering that it's really an 240x320 display), but in all the games, the tearing is diagonal... Like there are two triangles, the first triangle has it's 90deg corner at the top left, and the second on right-down, it seems that the second triangle updates a frame later than the first.. This effect is very visible in many games, including doom, rott, tyrian, jazz, and in emulators like vice.. The only piece of software that seems (to me atleast) to PicoDrive which is able to do smooth fading and scrolling in all the sonic games.. However the (emu-interface)menu fading/switchin still got tearing, which indicates that some hackery must have been employed in order to get the in-game rendering to work properly.

I haven't gotten around to coding to it yet (my first try at SDL seemed to go horribly wrong, it writes pixels in the wrong direction or something like that, something I'll have to figure out when I've got the time.. I hope to write some test-cases for the tearing problem and figure out if there's a software fix for it.. even though I consider things like that to be a OS/driver thing...

[Added on Tue 15 Sep 2009]
I found out that I have a spongy B button, I'm not what you'd call an avid handheld gamer, my last handheld was the Nintendo Game Boy (yes, just "Game Boy") and I don't really remember how the controls was on it, but I've noticed now that if I press the edge of the B button, it don't work.. The other buttons does not have this problem, and it really becomes a problem when trying to play games that require fash and precise pushing (like bombjack on the C64)..
Can anyone suggest a fix for the B button problem, as I'm not seeing myself shipping the unit back to korea to run RMA with playasia..

Got mine from Play Asia, would be playing it now if it worked!!

Hopefully I'll get it charged with a wall plug in the next few days otherwise it'll be shipped back for a replacement. I think the USB cable is buggered.

Back