Deus Ex

Is Deus Ex open source? I'm not finding anything to indicate that it is. Given this, how well it runs may very well be a moot point, unless I'm missing something. ;)

I'm pretty sure this game ran on Xbox (1)?

It's closed source.
I'm sure if it was opened up, then there is a possibility it could run. But, as stated above.. No.

http://source.bungie.org/

Not sure how old this news is: Marathon is now OS.

Marathon 2.
Nice high res upgradable downloads.. Maybe someone would like to look into this?

They have listed D/L for LINUX, Win, OSX.. Port Job?

Example.jpg

Picture-7.jpg

Downloads

Source Code

kingoddball said:
http://source.bungie.org/

Not sure how old this news is: Marathon is now OS.
Marathon 2 engine port by Pickle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zQ7Fbwhb5I

Last edited by a moderator:
kingoddball said:
I'm pretty sure this game ran on Xbox (1)?

It's closed source.
I'm sure if it was opened up, then there is a possibility it could run. But, as stated above.. No.

MDave said:
It's based on the Unreal engine, so no it's not open source and thus, not possible.

(Ooofff!!!) Argh! that sucks. So the other versions of Quake have public code. I thought maybe the Macintosh version could be ported.

SoleGrave said:
I thought maybe the Macintosh version could be ported.
I hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm curious... Why so?

r00tw00t said:
What makes you think the macintosh version of deus ex can be ported?

Prometheus said:
I hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm curious... Why so?

I admit it was a fleeting statement made of ignorance. For whatever reason I thought Linux wasnt to far removed from old Mac OS. But there are more mitigating factors than I understand. I feel pretty damn stupid about now. <_<

There's no need to feel stupid. :p

Apparently there was a Linux port at one point (as far as I can tell, still closed source), but it didn't get released, for what it's worth.

man, you don't know what I'd like to give for DX to be able to run on this. I believe I read that the guy working on a linux port died a while back so no more work will be put into it :/ again, I wish it could be done.

btw: what does bungie software have to do with DX? was it mentioned merely because someone mentioned a DX - XBOX connection through DX2?

lincruste said:
There have been an Unreal Engine reimplementation project(Surreal), but I'm not sure it's still alive:
Surreal Project Google Code homepage

last update on 10 December 2009, so it's pretty recent :) I'm not totally convinced such a huge task is possible for a small team like them (2 people) but I wish them the best of lucks :D they might even be able to fix some of UE flaws (like the mouse lag)!

Toupee said:
Hmm.... what about Half-Life 1?
Not unless you get yourself a dev job at Valve, find the original HL source code and "leak" it to us.

zhasha said:
Toupee said:
Hmm.... what about Half-Life 1?
Not unless you get yourself a dev job at Valve, find the original HL source code and "leak" it to us.
I'll get right on that. Maybe if I ask real nice...

LOVE that game. It has the possibility as it is Unreal Engine, there is a free unreal engine out there and possibly just some config updates in the resource files... and it would work.

"that game" as in referring to the one in the title, Deus Ex.

Back