Dedoimedo Reviews the Pandora !!

Under 'gaming' they mention Max Payne and World Of Goo ports. Did I miss an announcement somewhere?

Maybe, but it reads differently:

the official site comes with support for many gaming platforms, including Amiga 500/1200, DOS and Windows 9X, ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Atari ST/800/1600, Nintendo 64, PSX, 68K Macintosh, and many others.

My cursory examination also shows World of Goo there, Battle of Wesnoth, and some others, and I have seen screenshots of various old-time classic PC titles, even including a port of Max Payne.
His enthusiasm may have got the better of him, but that reads as if those two can be found on 'the official site' ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon he's getting "official site" mixed up with that prepared SD card that ED provided! :blink:

I guess I have to confess a gap in education: could some give me a roundup of this blog, its creator and its "grasp" ?

Well that was encouraging.   :)   Like Askarus said, finally...LOL.  Sure beats the lame video reviews from Gamester81 and TweeterMan287 at any rate.  Can't wait for the next review in the series.

Dedoimedo's second part review is available !

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/pandora-part-2.html

Here's his conclusion on the OS itself :

A day of dedicated hard work shows a variety of behavioral traits with Pandora. On the bright side, it is fast, stable overall, with very good audio quality, and a rich assortment of programs. Truly awesome. On the negative side, networking was slow for some reason, and the multimedia stack could benefit from some polish. There were other tiny niggles here and there, but nothing too serious. From the purely physical perspective, Pandora takes a bit of time getting used, and you mind get tired staring at a small screen almost directly below your face. If you try using it at a much greater distance, you won't see that well, so this presents a problem. Firmware update was also a disappointment.

Pandora embodies a very risky dance of compromise, trying to be everything at the same time. It is a proper desktop, a gaming platform, a media hub, a touch device, and it packs a huge collection of programs. But something's got to give. With the Xfce component gone through Dedoimedo's sweatshop, I would say, more focus on media, better networking, and an additional consideration to ergonomics. So far so good, but not an explosion of senses, especially not my eyes, as they be hurting. If I had to grade the current round of testing, then the Xfce flavor of Pandora's personality deserves around 7/10. In the third sequel, we will discuss games, Android, as well as the battery life. Stay tuned.
For more details about the issues he had, please have a read through the article :)

we will discuss Android
Uh oh. Notaz did an amazing job with the Android port, but it's really just an alpha, a proof of concept, not really review ready at all. I really hope this is accounted for in the review.

And from other threads, I understood that Notaz has stopped work on Android and no other developer has picked it up. I assume at some point the reviewers will check out the forum. Probably won't help the review. Ultimately, I think the wifi will end up being a bigger issue. The reviewer seems to do a pretty even-handed job, but he is definitely pointing out the warts that are complained about here.

Back