My impressions of the Pandora

(as it is now, auto-updates are not possible; you have to know about the new version, then download it yourself).
If memory serves, Hotfix 6 will address this. :)

Given the tiny amount of space available for the Trash, there needs to be a "Delete permanently" option readily available. Usually isn't a problem, but one time I was unable to delete a file because it was too big to fit in Trash (something like 500MB). I had to work around it by "moving" it to a USB drive. Alternatively, the OS could offer to permanently delete the file if there isn't enough space in the trash.
There is one, albeit not visible. Right-click, hold down Shift (or the left shoulder button), and click "Delete".

It could stand to be improved, but it's been there all along, and there's been an entry relating to this in the tweaks thread in the Support section since time immemorial. :lol:

I hope these bits of info help a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deleting to NAND is definitely bad. I hope to see this removed all together some day.

Regarding where to get your PNDs, repo.op is the go-to place. There are some other bits and pieces elsewhere (not just in the File Archive & Pandora Apps, but on individual dev sites as well), and it's worth browsing around to investigate, but the repo will cover 99% of your needs into the future.

You can change program associations with PND Utils: http://boards.openpa...2688-pnd-utils/

You're right, a lot of stuff could be smoother, but it's also come a long way already. Feedback like this tends to result in more improvements - no doubt ED will be reading it. :)

The Pandora terribly needs a single place where PNDs are kept up-to-date. As it is now, there are 3 separate places often having different versions of the same software (e.g. the Repo currently has Firefox 6, but the archive has Firefox 3.6). This makes it much more difficult to make sure you have the latest version of a given program. It would also be great if software could be updated in a more automatic fashion (as it is now, auto-updates are not possible; you have to know about the new version, then download it yourself).
As Prom said, it will be addressed in HF6 - it will include PNDstore, which will always connect to the repo to see if you've got the most current version of apps.

Until then, you can already download PNDstore from the repo now:

http://repo.openpand...il&app=pndstore

Until then, you can already download PNDstore from the repo now:

http://repo.openpand...il&app=pndstore
yes PNDstore is great :) , there is also a command line alternative called Milkyhelper and a program called Panorama which is a user interface engine based on Qt Quick, one of its plugins is a wrapper for milkyhelper so if you change the default GUI to MilkyTest you get something that looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/_fjZ-JWTOIk?feature=oembed

It should be no big deal to just add a "delete for good"-option to the right-click menu (I know on some Linux-distributions you can do that yourself acutally) ... and maybe add a "this goes to NAND"-warning to the normal "Arrrrre ye sure, matey?" when moving to trash?

I followed that tutorial. Worked fine, but if you right-clicked on blank space in a folder and accidentally hit "Delete Permanently", you'd remove the whole folder! I did that once by mistake. Not good.

lol after all that its easier just to hold L trigger (or is it R trigger) whilst selecting delete from the menu :)

The one single thing I strongly dislike, nay hate, about the hardware is the keyboard. Not the physical feel or quality, but the rounded, glossy tops. Until you learn where the non-letter characters are it's nearly impossible to find them, because with office lights (tubes) you can turn the Pandora this way or that way but all you see is the lights reflected on the keytops. I've never seen anything as bad as this ever when it comes to unreadable keys. HUGE design error.

The other, smaller issue is that on my particular unit the stylus can only be removed with tweezers, mere robust (guitarist gauge) fingernails aren't enough to extract the stylus. So in practice I end up using my N900 stylus.

The rest of the unit is flawless and looks perfectly made. I won't comment much on the software because software can be changed - that's what software is for.

The stylus will get better after some use. You DID remember to soften the tip by writing on paper with it, right?

I checked the XFCE settings and so far I see no way to disable the trash bin altogether (as I did on my desktop).

I checked the XFCE settings and so far I see no way to disable the trash bin altogether (as I did on my desktop).
From the XFCE FAQ:

Can I disable the trash?

No, you can not. But you can do for example:

use 'SHIFT + del' to bypass the trash bin and immediately delete something for real.

use cron to clean the trash every now and then.

One could try to write protect the ~/Applications/Data/Trash directory, but I have no idea how Thunar would react to that...

Back