Debian On An Sd Card

Assuming your SD card has mounted to /media/mmc0blk1 then the extract command would be: sudo tar -xvjpf pandora-squeeze-1.0.tar.bz2 -C /media/mmc0blk1

-edit- me getting the example right would be useful.. stops confusing people more! *cough* hehe -edit-

However, if you don't have that much Linux experience, I probably wouldn't advise going near Debian in it's current state. It's a bit ropey in places, still and as most people will be using the default Angstrom on their Pandoras, you'd have more support to figuring things out on that.

I am working on the next version, but there isn't really much of an ETA to that.. it's a much bigger project to do properly than how I was originally brute-forcing my way through things. It is being worked on though, just slowly.

Stuckie said:
Assuming your SD card has mounted to /media/mmc0blk1 then the extract command would be: sudo tar -xvjpf pandora-squeeze-1.0.tar.bz2 -C /media/mmc0blk1

-edit- me getting the example right would be useful.. stops confusing people more! *cough* hehe -edit-

However, if you don't have that much Linux experience, I probably wouldn't advise going near Debian in it's current state. It's a bit ropey in places, still and as most people will be using the default Angstrom on their Pandoras, you'd have more support to figuring things out on that.

I am working on the next version, but there isn't really much of an ETA to that.. it's a much bigger project to do properly than how I was originally brute-forcing my way through things. It is being worked on though, just slowly.

What if I have the tar file on the SD card in the second slot? What will the command be then?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to untar from SD card on second slot to SD card on first slot; specifing "sudo tar -xvjpf pandora-squeeze-1.0.5-grip.tar.bz2" gives me "No such file or directory"

Then run the command where you have the tarball downloaded to, and with the tarball's name.

If you're having trouble with this, I advise you to pick up a book or something on Linux and use a VM to mess about with, rather than using Debian on your Pandora. You'll just get frustrated with it, which isn't fun. And it's all meant to be fun :)

I'm trying to untar "/media/F/pandora-squeeze-1.0.5-grip.tar.bz2", yet when I specify said file path, it tells me that it does not exist

zeldarocks said:
I'm trying to untar "/media/F/pandora-squeeze-1.0.5-grip.tar.bz2", yet when I specify said file path, it tells me that it does not exist

Your SD card is labelled "F"? You may want to try asking on the IRC channel, its a bit easier to help in real-time.

Hey Stuckie, how's 1.1 progressing? Very interested to try out your latest work :) Keep it up!

I've been taking a break and doing some engine work for a bit ( in what little free time I get! ) however, it's approaching a really nice usable state, so I shall be back to breaking Debian soon ;)

I do have bits of the GUI installer working as well, and a good first milestone will be to get it to do a bootstrap to and install a kernel to boot from. It won't have all the hardware fully setup, but if I can get it doing that relatively quickly, I'll be quite happy as I can work from there :)

Any updates on this, particularly with the newer version?
I've been meaning to try this out for a while, and finally decided to get down to it.
But there's no point in doing 1.0.5 if 1.1 is very close by.

Alternatively, did I maybe miss some other OS that's been done to install on an SD card that more people are using, instead?
Thanks!

No, sorry.. and due to current work commitments, I don't see me returning to this for a while yet, I'm afraid.

I haven't forgotten about it, but I wouldn't expect anything until the year's end at the earliest - I just have no time, and any time I do have is in short bursts, and not enough to sit down and sort something like this out.

Stuckie said:
No, sorry.. and due to current work commitments, I don't see me returning to this for a while yet, I'm afraid.

I haven't forgotten about it, but I wouldn't expect anything until the year's end at the earliest - I just have no time, and any time I do have is in short bursts, and not enough to sit down and sort something like this out.

Fair enough. Thanks for the fast reply!

Stuckie said:

With luck, you might get fired.... :lol:

Hey I tried this and have it bootable, but during the boot sequence it gets stuck at - "Warning: unable to open an initial console"

Edit: After reading the thread I see some other people have the same problem, will try un-taring with sudo.

Edit2: Sudo fixed it!

u-boot is supposed to provide the means to boot off of alternative
media (such as attached SD cards, USB drives etc.) usually by pressing
buttons.
does anyone know of the options compiled into the specifically-
compiled version of uboot for the odroid?
i need to replace the OS (i xxxxing hate android) but seriously i
_really_ need to boot an alternate OS, it was the whole point of
getting the odroid.

Being perfectly honest, I haven't touched my Pandora in months.

Everything hit the fan in November and I had to very quickly organise myself and get moved before the end of the month, and I'm still trying to settle down and get things organised again.
I do at least know where my Pandora is! The same can't be said for a lot of my stuff which got spread amongst three houses in the move, as there wasn't even time to look at what I had, and what I could get rid of, so it all had to go somewhere.

So, moping aside... I'm not entirely sure on the state of the Pandora scene at the moment on what progress has been made, as to whether it would be worth the effort me going back in to get Debian up and running again should something else be more usable (Arch and Gentoo were gaining ground last time I checked.) Everything I did was documented on the Wiki though, so nothing's lost in that respect!

I'll try find some time to get myself up to speed with what's been going since I ran off throughout the rest of the week... and look over this thread to see what I was planning on doing as well.. that might be useful ;)

I'm sad to learn you had that kind of issues :(

Get yourself a good home (and job if needed). Get your stuffs back at your home.
... then get back rocking on our scene ;) Debian is still wanted around (also notaz have pushed a 3.2.1 kernel that I'm sure you'll love )

Well having had a poke about, and charged my Pandora up... seems that I was working on some madness as I had Debian on the NAND, but no idea where the original image is! oops.

Silly thing to do anyway since you can boot from SD ;)

Anyway, what with the Pandora Rebirth thing going on and the competition ending the end of March, I'll probably be up to something.
And seeing as I tend to do development on the Pandora in weird ways ( which is where the Extend Utils and Debian came from in the first place, ) I'll probably be continuing on this as an extension anyway.

Though my free time is currently about 1 - 3 hours a night, if I'm lucky!

Back