Debian On An Sd Card

Hey Stuckie & gang, I just read through most of this thread for the first time, I'm pretty keen to install "Debora" on my Pandora :)

Seeing as I mostly use my Pandora for gaming, what are the prospects of running all the different emulators and games etc?

As I understand it there is still work needs to be done to get the pnd system fully working,

That said you are booting from SD for Debian, so you can boot from flash to play pnd's and then when you have finished using the pandora as a toy you
can boot from the SD and start dev-ing / using office apps etc....

True that! I have 2x 8GB SD cards, originally one was for data and one was angstrom; looks like I'll be installing debora on the data one :)

Scribus (page layout software) 1.3.3.1 running on Debora:

Bloody amazing! Thanks guys! Thanks debian/synaptic!

Edit: Another pic for you all, this time calibre (e-book manager):

Edit 2: DBMixer. This one's for you, Gruso :)

Oh nice! Hopefully I can get an Angstrom version of that built at some stage, gotta fool around with some ancient libraries.

Have you done any mixing yet - just crossfading a couple of MP3s or something? How does the Pandora handle it?

This is awesome! I can see this being used a lot.

I've not used Debian for a long time so I have some re-learning to do. Has anyone gotten the battery monitor in LXDE to work ? When I add it to the panel I just get a black square, but no info.

I'm currently using Stuckie's 1.0.1 full image. I think I'll try from scratch over the weekend though.

hey birthday greets stuckie

i guess you are uploading a new full image? i can't seem to download version 1.0.1?

cheers

Thanks for the random birthday greets! Wasn't expecting that :)

I had buggered off for a while for a much needed break from things, and I'm on my way home now.. yay for WiFi enabled train journeys ;)

i guess you are uploading a new full image? i can't seem to download version 1.0.1?

Not at the moment, no.. I do have a new version almost ready, just needs another pass to satisfy my paranoia then it's being thrown online.
The 1.0.1 image is definitely still there though, as I just checked the server... can you tell me any other information like what error you're getting, and the link you're using?

I've not used Debian for a long time so I have some re-learning to do. Has anyone gotten the battery monitor in LXDE to work ? When I add it to the panel I just get a black square, but no info.

You can actually get away with using the xfce4-power-manager as that works fine.
You'll need to add xfce4-power-manager & to your .xinitrc file or LXDE autostart file ( if you want to do it properly and not nastily hack it in ;) ) but it's what I'll be including in the next release anyway, and it seems to run fine :)

Glad other people have been using this successfully! I've been getting worried that it's not been working at all!

Stuckie said:
Thanks for the random birthday greets! Wasn't expecting that :)

I had buggered off for a while for a much needed break from things, and I'm on my way home now.. yay for WiFi enabled train journeys ;)

Not at the moment, no.. I do have a new version almost ready, just needs another pass to satisfy my paranoia then it's being thrown online.
The 1.0.1 image is definitely still there though, as I just checked the server... can you tell me any other information like what error you're getting, and the link you're using?

The link on the wiki page is to http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/Debian/pandora-squeeze-minimal-1.0.1.tar.gz, should be http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/Debian/pandora-squeeze-minimal-1.0.1.tar.bz2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuckie said:

sorry looks like a problem with mu ubuntu 10 box, doesn't want to download anything for some reason!

cheers
edit

debian on sd got it running off sdcard but can't get wifi working.

ifconfig command not found neither is iwconfig command?

The 1.0.1 image was a bit mad in places.. I've _just_ finished 1.0.2 so you could try that.

It's a bit bigger ( 376mb tar.bz2 extracting to about 1.2gig ) and contains a bit of a more random selection of stuff:
  1. Full Dev Environment ( probably not quite so useful for everyone... )
  2. Epiphany ( Game )
  3. Epiphany ( Web Browser )
  4. Limited Pandora Angstrom library compatibility ( allowing some PNDs to work, but not all )
  5. SLIM instead of GDM
  6. LXDE-core instead of full-fat LXDE
  7. Synaptic
  8. Working Touchscreen Driver which doesn't choke X

I haven't yet updated the Wiki as I'm not sure where my giant txt file of changes has ended up ( it'll be around somewhere.. I'll post it up in the morning if I don't find it tonight. )

The rootfs is here: http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/Debian/pandora-squeeze-1.0.2.tar.bz2

One oddity is that the PND services don't seem to kick in until you open a Terminal, and then top lists them as zombies... no idea why, but once a terminal is opened, they work as they should do.

Hopefully the wifi issue is fixed, as 1.0.1 worked for some and not others.. which was weird.

This'll also be the last of my "force it in" releases, the next one will probably take considerably longer, but will be done "properly" IE: stuff actually compiled for Debian using the patches from the Pandora git overlay, and stuck in a repo on my server to be pulled in.
That is of course, assuming I haven't majorly buggered anything up ;)

hi cheers stuckie!

unfortunately wifi still does not seem to be scanned; tried to manually enter network via netwotk settings but can't see the OK or apply buttons - they go off screen?

cheers

I just tried putting in a "hidden wireless network" setting just now, and the box doesn't go anywhere near off the screen... what settings window are you trying to use?

Also, it scanned for Wifi networks straight away - didn't pick up mine, but it never has so I need to add it manually. It did pick up the neighbours' WiFi points though.

If things go off screen though, you can hold Alt and drag the windows around.

I'm not seeing proper session management - can only log out not shutdown etc
and on toggling wifi the network manager never reports the hardware ready yet according to /var/log/messages its loading the firmware.... most odd

However I'm *really* liking the speed, very fast and responsive - nice...!

Stuckie said:
I just tried putting in a "hidden wireless network" setting just now, and the box doesn't go anywhere near off the screen... what settings window are you trying to use?

Also, it scanned for Wifi networks straight away - didn't pick up mine, but it never has so I need to add it manually. It did pick up the neighbours' WiFi points though.

If things go off screen though, you can hold Alt and drag the windows around.

hi okay managed to enter wireless info into network setting dialogue (can move screen round now using alt) - i.e right click network connection icon -> edit connections -> wireless tab.

when you left click network icon it says wireless network - device not ready

also can't shutdown as reported by chris

cheers

Hmm.. check dmesg and make sure that the firmware for the wifi does get fully loaded, and it's not died for some reason.

I've a feeling there's a permission cock-up somewhere which is causing this... but it doesn't make sense as I tarred directly from the SD that I had just booted from, then booted again and it worked fine.

I'll have another look at it when I get back from work, but as much information as you can give me would be great :)

I'm approaching the problem from a different angle I've done my own stage two and am chrooted into it installing lxde, after I've followed the rest of the instructions and keeping it as slim as I can I'll see if I can't compress it and then extract it to a different sd card and boot it.

My theory is that part of the problem could be how the archive is not only extracted but also created...

Should I confirm my suspicion I'll work out an alternate method of deploying a completed file system!

I installed 1.0.2 onto my 4gb card this afternoon and connected to wifi at work no problem. Although my card seems to have got corrupted between then and now. But I think the card is a bit flakey anyway.

While it was working, it was super fast! Gonna blow it away and reinstall.

now this just mystifies me (not to mention stuckie LOL!)

why should it work for some people but not others....!

Well I've just tried on a fresh install of the 1.0.2 image and it won't pickup my BT router at home. Odd.

If I click on the wifi icon in the taskbar it says 'device not ready' under wireless networks. If I toggle wifi back off it changes to say 'no network devices available' which makes sense.

Another thing I noticed - When the wifi was working earlier, when I went to shutdown, I was given all the choices, i.e shutdown, reboot log off etc. But this time with the wifi not working I only get Logout and Cancel.

Back