Debian On An Sd Card

second sdcard slot does not automount now?
still having issues with shortcuts - does not seem to want to create commands to open shortcut? if i creat a new file and enter a command line it does not save it?

edit/

when i make a shortcut from the menu; if i start terminal the shortcut disappears?

Automount probably isn't installed this time, this is meant as a base to add to, not as a full working distro - to try keep the size down.
If you need to add stuff to get things working, by all means add it to the Wiki page at the bottom - that's what it's there for!

The shortcuts might be getting wiped out by pndnotify... as I effectively never use desktop shortcuts, I never had a look at it.
You could force them by adding them to the system's desktop rather than the user's desktop, if you desperately need them, however.

If you think things are missing, by all means give me a list of features that you want.. but I've been trying to keep the size down on purpose during these "testing" images to ensure that I get all the major bugs fixed before doing the whole thing properly. It's not much fun going through a large image to cut it down a bit, then to pack it up and upload it, only to find something major has gone wrong ( IE: WiFi and Session Management, for example. )
General niggles like PNDs and shortcuts don't really bother me much as it's not meant to be a finished thing yet, and I suspect the PND stuff to start behaving itself when properly compiled and not forcefully jammed in, along with a set of compatibility libraries.

I've also never stated that this is for general consumption - it's a dodgy hack like most of my stuff - things may be broken, and the 1.0.3 release is as stripped down as I can get it to act as a functioning base to install whatever you want on it. I'm more than willing to help if something's severely broken, if I get bug reports - and especially if I get fixes to implement!

But as I said, this is meant as a base to play about with and add whatever you want.
For example, to get LXDE back up to it's full-featured self, just install it: sudo apt-get install lxde
That will probably give you back automount, and may even fix your desktop shortcut issues.

Maybe you don't even want LXDE? sudo apt-get purge lxde-core ( though I'd advise doing this only AFTER installing something else ;) )
Enlightenment's pretty nice: sudo apt-get install e16
Or XFCE for familiarness: sudo apt-get install xfce4
Or perhaps brave the HOURS it'll take to install and grab GNOME: sudo apt-get install gnome
Or even something more minimal like Fluxbox: sudo apt-get install fluxbox

As it stands, the Debian stuff I've released is really just a base to add your own stuff to.. if something's broken, fix it! and post it on the Wiki :)

I won't be doing 1.1 for a while, but that's not to say I don't want feature requests, as well as what kind of desktop environment people would be looking for.. and the current image is perhaps perfect for fiddling about and seeing what's there, as it's small and gives a pretty solid base to try other things on.

Oh and don't take this somewhat mini-rant as something directed at you, peelie... just clearing the air a bit as to what this Debian image currently is as it stands.. until I finish 1.1 it's going to be a hacky mess - read the wiki page to see _just_ how hacky it is!

This is also going to be the last image until 1.1 unless there is some severe bug lurking in there ( IE: the Wifi stuff is still a bit iffy, for example.. or the SGX drivers are a bit mad. )

okay cheers stuckie for those desktop suggestions will try them!

and having a deb sd card system is fooking great - excuse my noob questions!

If you are going to start fiddling with the other desktop environments, I'd suggest pulling in GDM instead of SLIM, as it's a bit easier to change which session to start ( you effectively get a nice list :) )

Remember to post any cool hacks you come up with!

--edit--
Word of warning.. don't dist-upgrade to SID yet... seems the omap3 X driver hasn't been recompiled yet, so you wont get into X.

hmm there's seems to be a serious battery use problem with this and wifi? i was on internet for some 10 mins and no addresses were being resolved so i disconnected wifi and the battery indicator turned red; few seconds later system shutdown.

restarted in angstrom sd card and battery reads at 83 percent.

hmmm?

I've had mine running _all_ day on battery pulling down upgrades from sid ( speaking of which, don't do it, you WILL break your system ) - I've only just connected it to the mains now after five hours of it downloading and unpacking stuff ( and my battery wasn't even completely charged at the time. )

Are you sure your battery is in correctly?

See this post by ED - http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58362-charger-just-blew-up-literally/page__view__findpost__p__935664 getting the battery in wrong does weird things like this.
Also, the topic on the other board here - http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/1662-loose-battery/ is particularly handy as well - specially the battery sticker, as I had this issue as well and had to run my fingernail along the edge to get it to seat correctly without having the battery compartment bulge slightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuckie said:
I've had mine running _all_ day on battery pulling down upgrades from sid ( speaking of which, don't do it, you WILL break your system ) - I've only just connected it to the mains now after five hours of it downloading and unpacking stuff ( and my battery wasn't even completely charged at the time. )

Are you sure your battery is in correctly?

See this post by ED - http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58362-charger-just-blew-up-literally/page__view__findpost__p__935664 getting the battery in wrong does weird things like this.
Also, the topic on the other board here - http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/1662-loose-battery/ is particularly handy as well - specially the battery sticker, as I had this issue as well and had to run my fingernail along the edge to get it to seat correctly without having the battery compartment bulge slightly.
okay cheers did not know about this!

edit/

so broke the label seal to make sure that 90 degree angle is good; put battery back in and the battery monitor reads 20 percent!

dang!
bloody battery compartment!

I'm using 1.0.3 release and i have founded some trouble with keymap.

I'm not be able to use some charset using the blue FN button. For example: how is possible to make those symbols?

@ ! $ £ € _ ? : they doesn't appears

( ) they appears as [ ]

can someones confirm ?
Is it possible to solve and how?
thanks

Stuckie said:
Wonder if I forgot xmodmap.. that'd be typical.. if running the above in a terminal gives an error, just install it via apt-get.

Suppose that's what I get for trying to rush another release out.. been a few hiccups so far :\

Im'sorry, I don't have understood... What is " xmodmap ~/.pndModMap " ?
Where have I to write it ?

open a terminal

type ls -a

is there a file called .pndModMap (if not find it from official SD image, Nand, previous Debian SD)

xmodmap is a command which may or may not be installed

If you have a wifi connection you can generally install packages containing software with

sudo apt-get install <nameOfPackage>

you can search for packages here....
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

I'd be surprised if Stuckie missed http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/x11-xserver-utils though!

Your quickest way to more Linux skills is to take this very basic image and make it do what you want, and google-ing for fixes when you break stuff - and fixing it will real improve your skills

of course if you make a real hash of it you can just re-extract the base tar ball and start fresh - for that reason its always as well to keep notes on your desktop of what worked and how you did it! :D

In another 10 years it'll be you making a tarball for the Pandora IV .... : o )

I did forget xmodmap it seems.. oops..
so yes, install x11-xserver-utils as chris_c mentions above.

I think I will do another image this weekend to try fix all these small niggles... was a bit too quick pushing this up I think, though it takes a stupidly long time to go and test everything, and I was a bit short on time.

Therefore, to those who have found oddities, your task, should you choose to accept it, is to make a list of bugger ups I've done that you want fixed.
You have until Friday.

This message will self-destruct in five seconds.

I have no problem with battery monitor. It seems to work well for my pandora.

I have solved my keyboard trouble after installing the package x11-xserver-utils and rebooted. I'm trying to use an usb wireless adapter that use ralink chip, i have instaled the package firmware-ralink but i don't know why, the wireless adapter is not recognized...

Instead on my pc, ( debian 6 on x86 ) after installed ralink-firmware is recognized.. But those are my problems, not yours... eheh

Very good release this 1.03
Good work.

I'll be doing a rather major update to the guide soon, along with the release of a new batch of rootfs images. ( yes, images, plural.. )

I've got Emdebian's Grip distribution running properly now... this is good as it cuts out a huge amount of cruft for the majority of the "main" repo packages. It also uses multistrap by default, which is particularly handy for when I get onto 1.1, as I can just add my own repo in and pull from that, as well as Grip's and stock Debian, and multistrap will deal with all the permission stuff automatically - and it's stupidly fast, as I was doing rather large rootfs installs on my Pandora in about an hour.

Because it cut so much stuff out, I actually got it shrunk enough to attempt something utterly insane - running Debian from NAND.
Not only could I get it running from NAND, but out of the 475Mb that you get, it only used about 100-odd on the NAND for the system, and this included LXDE and GDM!

Of course, installing Debian to NAND is for absolute lunatics just now, seeing as I've not exactly got it 100% bug free or anything, but it's now possible ;)

I shall be providing a new Grip rootfs tomorrow with LXDE. This will be the final, honestly, no more, completely last release of the current 1.0 set... the next one will be 1.1; especially as I now have multistrap working properly.

-edit-
I was going to provide an e16 rootfs as well, however from my use of it tonight, it'll likely confuse people so.. I'll stick with LXDE for now.

I was going to provide an e16 rootfs as well, however from my use of it tonight, it'll likely confuse Windows users so.. I'll stick with LXDE for now.

FTFY :D

Seriously for a moment - this is great news - well done Stuckie!

Hi guys....I've been down and out for a bit, stopped using my Pandora so I wouldn't miss it when sending it off to the hospital. I've gotten it back now and wonder what all the cool kids are doing with Debian now? I saw the PanDebian project and I see Stuckie's newer Squeeze developments. From what I understand they both run direct from SD, in comparison how far along is PND integration into each one of these setups? Throw too many choices at a tinkerer and they'll waste their life away before settling on a direction, think of my question as speed-dating a method to run Debian on my Pandora. What advantages are there at this time to running one or the other? Thanks

There's so much software in the debian repo's it kinda makes pnd's redundant, some of the pnd's will work it you mess around with adding the out of date libs from open embedded and its not so difficult to rescue an app from a pnd and stick it in a folder with whatever libs it needs

LXDE is *noticeably* faster than XFCE.

Unbelievably Open Embedded (angstrom) libraries seem more out of date than Debians repo's and if you use opkg in OE/A then there is a good chance you'll get a bunch of broken library symlinks - which while not a show stopper is a pita if you're developing.

If you want the toy experience with a load of emulators and easy installing of apps stick to OE/A

If you want a more full desktop experience with tinkering to get the emulators working and the ease of installing apps with apt-get then give Debian a spin...

Of course as you are booting from an SD card, just shutdown take out the card - and everything is back to how it was... Best of two similar but different worlds...

PanDebian is more akin to Extend Utils than running Debian as a bootable OS from SD - which is what *this* particular project is.

At the moment, it's particularly hacky, as I'm forcing bits of Pandora Angstrom into Debian to make it co-operate.. I'm working on one last release of this bruteforce method just now, then I'll be working towards a clean implementation, whereby all the Pandora specific stuff is in a custom repo and can be pulled in during multistrap.

I'm thinking of actually leaving off the PND stuff this time around, as it seems to cause a few issues, and it doesn't wholly work properly at the moment anyway.. but yea, as chris_c states, you've effectively got the entire Debian Armel package repository at your disposal, and you can always reboot to Angstrom for PNDs just now anyway :)

A new release will be today.. sometime... it's being worked on amongst a bunch of other stuff...

New (final) release!

1.0.4 .. based on Emdebian Grip, which makes it slightly smaller and slightly faster again.
This comes with iceweasel ( firefox, ) synaptic, gnome-mplayer, lxde, and the usual stuff.
The PND system seems to work fine in this release - obviously libraries aren't all in place to run most of them, but the actual system itself seems to be fine.

Mplayer doesn't seem to thrash I/O either when playing videos, which 1.0.3 seemed to do.

Again, short of VICIOUS bugs, this is the last one till 1.1

Download here: http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/Debian/pandora-squeeze-1.0.4-grip.tar.bz2

Back