Deal Or No Deal V1.2

Guyfawkes

Certified Idiot :)
Website
www.emuholic.com
I have released a new version of my homebrew game Deal or No Deal. Changes in this version are:

- Changed the US banker offer routine to how it was in v1.0. The reason for this is that the US offers with the new routine were way off what is offered on the TV show, the UK offers are mostly accurate. The US will use the old routine and the UK will use the new routine.
- Changed the number shown in UK version when the boxes are opened from £0.50 to 50p, £0.01 to 1p etc
- Fixed an error in UK version where models were saying 'I hope its blue' when you have dealt.

Please consider donating if you enjoy the game, I have spent many hours working on this game and I think the end result is worth it. All donations go towards the costs of getting a new host for my website, so far I have only received 4 donations (thanks Dodgyville, Sir Dragoon, Cakey and DisgruntleElf!). I am not forcing or expecting everyone to donate, but I expected more and so do a few people who were surprised when I told them how many people have donated. To be honest I wont bother making any more games and spend my time working on my site instead. Support your homebrew developers (if they ask) or they will bugger off and do something else! Rant over :)

You can download the game via my homepage at http://www.emuboards.com/guyfawkes/ or direct from the GP2X Archive here.

If you are making games for the love of it, for the recognition and fame of your peers, donations are purely a bonus and should be regarded as a pat on the back - no place for a "rant". If you are making games for profit, then you are doing it for money and not fame or recognition, nor to keep the scene alive and kicking. You can't have your cake and eat it.

By the way, good game. Only something you can play a few minutes every so often, but a good quality game, well executed.

Guyfawkes

Beware. November 5th is coming up,you don't want to upset anyone sensitive don't you?

By the way I agree with you, why shouldn't you expect some donations when a lot of games/emus are inferior to yours yet get loads.
Also if you were only in it for the money,wouldn't you have first offered the game for sale on your site and just put a time limited demo on here.

dontspam posted on Oct 5 2006 at 09:03 AM said:
Guyfawkes

Beware. November 5th is coming up,you don't want to upset anyone sensitive don't you?

By the way I agree with you, why shouldn't you expect some donations when a lot of games/emus are inferior to yours yet get loads.
Also if you were only in it for the money,wouldn't you have first offered the game for sale on your site and just put a time limited demo on here.
Emus play (often) hundreds of games each, all with differing degrees of lifespan. You often have a few gems of games per emulator which you keep playing over and over again. One solitary homebrew game, like this, has a very limited lifespan. Personally, I like the game, but have only played 3 times on it, total about 7-10 minutes, and I probably won't play it more than a couple of times a month now - worth keeping on my SD card until it gets too full. Anyway, this game has to be freeware, otherwise Guyfawkes would end up in all sorts of legal problems with the tv show producers - technically, even taking donations for it would be seen as "taking proceeds for the game"...

Vektar is a good game, but I feel the cost to buy it at the moment is far too high, so unless this changes, I am voting with my feet and not buying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't talking about this game just games in general.

The simple truth is if you want/expect money for your game then sell it.

Donations are voluntary.

You don't have to say thank you, but it's nice to show appreciation.

Guyfawkes donated this game to the scene, next time he might not.

So this is from everyone...Thank You.

I only make games and take part in the 'scene' because I enjoy it. I have been there since day one of the GP32 and GP2X, the main reason I have stuck here is because its one of the most interesting consoles ever to be part of and to code for and I support it on my website. It is not for fame or for profit, if it was I would have quit it all 7 years ago :)

I am asking for donations so that I can move my site to a better host. None of the money that is donated is going to my own pocket. Just like the several other games and other stuff I have made, it is *all* free of charge and until Deal or No Deal I have never asked or took a penny for them. It is a voluntary donation if you like the game, all I was simply doing is getting the message across a bit more blatently.

The main reason is that I didnt think the previous games were of enough quality to ask for donations, I think Deal or No Deal is a quality game and many people seem to agree from posts here? I am not asking for a £20 donation, even £1 from 10% of the people that downloaded and enjoyed the game will go a long way.

Apologies if I have annoyed some people in the first post, I felt it needed to be said not just for my benefit but for other developers as well. Like the GP32 the GP2X has turned into a freeware console where people can download and play stuff for free of charge. I know many developers spend alot of their time working on software and while many dont ask for anything in return, some do and they rarely get anything. Many people want decent games (not emulators) for their GP2X but unless you pay commercial prices you are not going to see it very often.

I think the perfect example is that many sites reviewing the GP2X barely mention homebrew and just concentrate on emulators which really annoys me. There are many homebrew games which stand out but dont get the attention they deserve, the majority of it goes on emulators. It seems to be the same with donations, how many people here have donated to an emulator author and not to an homebrew game author? All I am saying is support the homebrew game authors a bit more otherwise you may find they put their talents to use elsewhere.

I hope this post explains my first post a bit better.

It just seemed like a misunderstanding. I can understand your disapointment.

I've donated a lot, and only to emulator authors. The only (non-port) game that I played long enough to merit a donation is tilematch... which reminds me... but I've spent many many hours on emulators, so its fair enough that thats where my donations should go.

Yes your second post does clarify your intentions! :) And the points you make I can agree with. When I released *ASCIIPong, on PsyMastR even bothered to reply to my thread. It was my first ever crack at coding a game for GP2X.

Lack of feedback is demotivating, so I agree the community should try and respect and support its' Devs a bit more. (I'm not necessarily speaking of donations here.)

*NOTE: I do realise that it's *JUST* Pong... but that's besides the point. I'm not going to invest my time in a big project on my first game am I?

EDIT: Regarding DOND, I download the game just because I had seen the show a couple of times, and I know you had been working on this a while Guyfawkes... essentially the game isn't my cup of tea, but I just wanted to see how you did! :)

Back