Dc Emulation Scene

Nilsiboy

1337 T045T
Website
Visit site
obviously im not talking about emulating the dreamcast but about emulation of other systems on the DC.....

so how come the genesis/NES/SMS emulation is not full speed on DC, but on gp32_console it is :huh:

Genesis is 100% full speed with sound, but the emulator has not been publicly released since it's just a hacked version of the official sega one. But you can find it if you know where to look ;)

The sound if very crap on segagen.

Also the dreamcast is not that much more powerful than the gp32. NeoGeoCD is pretty fast tho and SNES is about as fast as opensnes9x but has better transparencies and is very polished, SMS I remember being good and NES was abit choppy.

dreamsnes is ok, segagen is near perfect, and anything below that, like nester etc...is perfect.
the dc emulation scene was buzzin for a while, then things got really quiet.
don't be fooled, it's not because the dreamcast is weak, but the emulators weren't fully optimized or worked on long enough. i hear it's not so easy writing homebrew/emu apps for the dc either, unlike with emulators on xbox that are direct ports of pc emus with some additions <- speaking of which, if you have an xbox lying about, use that for the ultimate emulation console.
anyway, if you really wanna know, ask the guys that made the stuff at dcemulation.com

mr twit posted on Dec 12 2004 at 10:56 PM said:
Genesis is 100% full speed with sound, but the emulator has not been publicly released since it's just a hacked version of the official sega one. But you can find it if you know where to look ;)

and you can tell me where to look? *PLEAAAAAAAAASSEEEEEEEEEE*

Last edited by a moderator:
no they can't tell you where to look, not because they want to be mean, but because it's a 'no-no' topic. Basically, someone took the Sega Smash Pack commercial dreamcast game, and figured out that it was running just a regular emulator, hacked that out and released it. BIG TIME no-no. It's called Segagen... if you really want it, you'll have to look for it :(

And anyways, as someone else mentioned, though it does run 100% with sound, the sound is really, really annoying... barely recognizable from the original genesis. Plus it's very hard to burn to work properly on the DC. I agree, if you really want a video game box to play emu's on, look into getting an older, cheap used Xbox. The emu's on it run GREAT, all the old consoles (NES, SMS, SNES, Genesis, Neo Geo, and many arcade games via mame, hell even the N64 and PSX emus run really great, 100% on many of the games) work PERFECTLY. You can mod it for free too if you do a 'soft mod'... no need for a chip, no need to open your system. Or just wait for the DS or PSP to get a 'scene' going and emu's will pop up for them that should handle older consoles w/o a hiccup.

Nilsiboy posted on Dec 13 2004 at 03:06 PM said:
mr twit posted on Dec 12 2004 at 10:56 PM said:
Genesis is 100% full speed with sound, but the emulator has not been publicly released since it's just a hacked version of the official sega one. But you can find it if you know where to look  ;)

and you can tell me where to look? *PLEAAAAAAAAASSEEEEEEEEEE*
Its on suprnova under genesis emulator. Its also on several p2p networks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: the Xbox softmod... I think I can post about this right?

Well, you can hack into the Xbox easily without ever opening the system. You need a copy of either mechassault, Agent Under Fire or spliter cell (unfortunately you have to be careful which one you get, as newer version of each game are NOT usuable... I have an original, 1st release version of mech assault). You use a hacked save for one of these games that contains a version of Linux... once you boot up into linux thru this hacked save, you can FTP into your Xbox and put whatever you want on it, same as guys with chipped systems.

There's a lot more to it, however, and if you are really interested, you should head over to xbox-scene.com, and read up on the forums there. There is a section for soft-mods and a section for dashboard exploits... really a lot to read but all the info and tools you need can be found thru there.

took the words right outta my mouth >=]
yes! what he said. if you have a version 1.0 - 1.5(pretty much any box made before april of this year i think) you can easily do a tsop flash. however, this isn't a real 'softmod'. softmods are the software exploits that don't need a mod bios to run unsigned stuff. and while exploits are more advanced and whatever now, it's better/easier to just run your shit from a hacked bios. again, read up at the xbox-scene forums^
exploits are the only alternative to buying a chip for the latest xbox version(1.6) though. and getting a chip isn't really that bad, especially if you plan on getting on live(most chips have multi bank switches so you can boot from retail mode and get on lvie undetected...same can be done on a 1.0/1.1 box but is bit more troublesome for newbieS)...

anonther advantage to getiting a chip would be that you can do the tsop flashing process w/o any of those games like mechassault or 007. just temporarily drop it in, arrange temp exploit files w/ bios.take chip out, and turn on and flash. rinse & repeat. <- having a solderless chip makes tsop flashing a breeze.

its 4am and i can't sleep ;) . in any case: go to xbox-scene.com like the UP^ guy said

edit..
ftping with raincoat isn't really neccessary. you know about the eurasia flash disk right? it's raincoat on disk so you don't need to ftp that. you can pretty much just rip the iso of that disk, exploit sign its .xbe, and launch it from evox if you can't flash those damn bios chips with evox that only raincoat can. you're gonna need to put the bios file on a disk however.

Back