D-pad Replacement Units, Some Suggestions?

DaveC

Internal Development
I am working with Radek on his d-pad mod. He has the converter circuit done. Now we need a pad to include. He suggested the Ngage QD pad assembly which is fine but I can't seem to fine a good steady source of them. Radek if you know of one please let me know.

I am just scouting around but I don't want to design my part of the kit around the QD pads if the pads will be hard to get and the source dries up.

What I need is a pad assembly that includes the pad plus the little rubber membrane things with the metalized rubber. Radek can have the PC boards designed so that is not needed.

Does anyone here know of repair kits for any pad that will fit the GP2X size such as Gameboy, PSP, SNES, GCN, etc that include those items mentioned. Maybe a factory somewhere that makes these items cheap in China etc?

Any leads would be appreciated so we can get this mod going. I am sure alot of us would like to have a pad on your GP2X.

Thanks.

How much will a dpad mod cost, $20? $30? That will indirectly add more to the price of the GP2X, not because of an added feature, but just to FIX something. I think you should present the dpad mod to GPH first, to save many people's troubles of having to fix their GP2X just to get the full experience.

I don't have anything useful to add yet, but I do like the idea of finding a more generic pad. I always the thought the QD pad, although nice, stands out too much. A nice grey or black pad would be better. There has to be some company that makes random d-pads for all those chinese rip off handhelds.

JaqMs posted on Jul 11 2006 at 11:34 PM said:
How much will a dpad mod cost, $20? $30? That will indirectly add more to the price of the GP2X, not because of an added feature, but just to FIX something. I think you should present the dpad mod to GPH first, to save many people's troubles of having to fix their GP2X just to get the full experience.

It's a mod. If he submitted the idea to GPH, they will likely rip it off, like they did with his cap design (come on folks, admit it ... they stole the idea :angry: )

This is one of the coolest things about the '2X, and the GP32 before it ... modding your open-source device to your heart's content :)

Sorry I can't help Dave, but count me in as one of your first customers when this is ready :D

Last edited by a moderator:
You know.. there should be a DaveC store. lol. Now if only he had the resources to make custom shell replacements. Then we could have all different colored 2x systems.

JaqMs posted on Jul 11 2006 at 11:34 PM said:
could you maybe post something that DOESNT include a complaint? Im getting sick of reading your little whiny bitch posts. <_<

This is definitly an odd request. I do hope you find a reliable source for d-pads; I'd definitly buy one for 20 or 30 bucks (assuming that'd be the price).

Good luck Dave. I look foward to seeing a nice result :)

Eesh, definitely avoid the original DS pad. That thing is the most shallow, painful to use D-pad ever. It clicks mechanically, which is so incredibly annoying.

Epicenter posted on Jul 12 2006 at 12:48 AM said:
Eesh, definitely avoid the original DS pad. That thing is the most shallow, painful to use D-pad ever. It clicks mechanically, which is so incredibly annoying.
It wasn't as bad as the Playstation D-Pad. Seperated! Eeek. The DS Lite/Micro D-Pad is amazing.

Radek mentioned in the other thread that he had a source of QD pads for £2 each, maybe you should stock up on them :)

Epicenter posted on Jul 12 2006 at 04:48 AM said:

Yeah I never liked the clicky DS pad, or the clicky GBA-SP pad either. The new DS pad is much better.

Clicky is bad, it actually makes control worse too.

That DS replacement may not be as clicky, I would try it but at 10.00 plus Radek's $30, plus my spacer at? =40+ getting kind of expensive.

I wonder if I could get sued by Nintendo if I use a replacement pad with their "plus" design?

DaveC posted on Jul 12 2006 at 04:09 PM said:
Epicenter posted on Jul 12 2006 at 04:48 AM said:

Yeah I never liked the clicky DS pad, or the clicky GBA-SP pad either. The new DS pad is much better.

Clicky is bad, it actually makes control worse too.

That DS replacement may not be as clicky, I would try it but at 10.00 plus Radek's $30, plus my spacer at? =40+ getting kind of expensive.

Worry not about it. The price will stay in an apropriate range.

DaveC posted on Jul 12 2006 at 04:09 PM said:
I wonder if I could get sued by Nintendo if I use a replacement pad with their "plus" design?

Perhaps not as Nintendo being a corporate entity could not see small "bugs like us. And there would be a negative flashback of doing so but you never know... Only way what should be "safe" would be buying original Nintendo dpads. But where?

I Still think the QD pad is the best option for now. It will take a long time for the supply to dry up. There are a LOT of these faceplates and buttons out there. I know, as im involved in the "cellular" business.

Sticking with the QD pad seems very reasonable to me. If the supply dries up, then we can start to worry about finding an alternative part.

DaveC posted on Jul 12 2006 at 08:09 AM said:
Sorry if I missed this, but what's the $30 for? I haven't followed the design but it seems the adapter should just be a bit of circuit board plus a couple dollars worth of logic chips.

Back