D-pad Mod Thanks Davec!

foft posted on Mar 21 2007 at 07:58 AM said:
DaveC posted on Mar 20 2007 at 11:16 PM said:
foft posted on Mar 20 2007 at 09:21 PM said:
So thats what the DPAD mod is meant to look like fitted properly! I over bevelled mine on the inside and the little plastic rim broke off:-( Anyway its still much better to use, only took me 6 months to be brave enough to fit it!

Did you use the metal template? That should have helped with cutting the hole. Does the pad work well in all directions after you modded it?

Yes the metal template definitely helped. I just overdid the bevel on the inside:) Works great in all directions now. Though I had to patch atari800 to make it work of course (interpret left+right as diagonal etc.). I was planning to use some 87C750 chips I've got lying around to do the diagonal stuff, but once I saw how much space there is I decided against it!

Thanks,

Mark

Do you have this version of Atari800 with the diagonal support to share with the rest of us D-pad users?

That would sure be nice ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
naples39 posted on Mar 21 2007 at 12:23 PM said:
So MK1s are already out of stock? I'm very interested, but $75 is pretty stiff to pay for something with an indefinite date.

I don't think ED updated the page. I think he still has them.

DaveC posted on Mar 21 2007 at 10:16 AM said:
naples39 posted on Mar 21 2007 at 12:23 PM said:
So MK1s are already out of stock? I'm very interested, but $75 is pretty stiff to pay for something with an indefinite date.

I don't think ED updated the page. I think he still has them.
In stock or not. $55 is steep for a mod I want to do myself. Are you able to ship them to the US personally? I probably need one (I do).

Honestly I sent all of the kits I made to ED.

I could make more but I need more of those pins (long story).

So just to clarify...

Can the mod register the diagonals properly? or just l/r/u/d in combination?

Is it available in another form of dpad, ie, not that awful ngage white one? Frankly, it looks shite against the sleek black of the 2x.

D.

Dunny posted on Mar 21 2007 at 06:06 PM said:
So just to clarify...

Can the mod register the diagonals properly? or just l/r/u/d in combination?

Is it available in another form of dpad, ie, not that awful ngage white one? Frankly, it looks shite against the sleek black of the 2x.

D.

It only registers l,r,u,d, in combination. The one with the logic chip dissapeared.

The only pad that could be bought as spare parts that work well were the n-gage pads. I wasn't going to spend $20.00 a piece for a gamecube controller or something to rip the pads out, sorry.

It has transformed my GP2x. I had a MK1, and like most of them the stick gave up after not very long. So my GP2x stayed unloved and unused.

But now it is perfect and much used. I suppose others could complain about 'having' to mod after paying, but I don't care. I have an amazing emu device and I love it!

Dunny posted on Mar 21 2007 at 07:06 PM said:

Actually it fits perfectly to the logo of the GP2X and the back of it is black so it fits to the case too. I really like it!
Besides, it is almost the perfect size, all other dpads I have seen are actually to big to be fitted on the GP2X without looking horrible.

Julius posted on Mar 21 2007 at 03:18 PM said:

Actually it fits perfectly to the logo of the GP2X and the back of it is black so it fits to the case too. I really like it!
Besides, it is almost the perfect size, all other dpads I have seen are actually to big to be fitted on the GP2X without looking horrible.
Actually, I measured one day and the d-pad on the Game Gear is only slightly larger than the hole on the GP2X. From a purely aesthetic point of view, it would probably look nicer and fit in more with the GP2X's appearance than the NGage pad. There is, of course, the problem of where to get them in bulk for relatively cheap, so the NGage pad comes out ahead.

lubidog posted on Mar 21 2007 at 07:49 PM said:
It has transformed my GP2x. I had a MK1, and like most of them the stick gave up after not very long. So my GP2x stayed unloved and unused.

But now it is perfect and much used. I suppose others could complain about 'having' to mod after paying, but I don't care. I have an amazing emu device and I love it!

I couldn't agree more :)

Ravnos posted on Mar 21 2007 at 09:32 PM said:
Julius posted on Mar 21 2007 at 03:18 PM said:

Actually, I measured one day and the d-pad on the Game Gear is only slightly larger than the hole on the GP2X. From a purely aesthetic point of view, it would probably look nicer and fit in more with the GP2X's appearance than the NGage pad. There is, of course, the problem of where to get them in bulk for relatively cheap, so the NGage pad comes out ahead.

Game Gear?! :lol:

Ok I will go on ebay and pay $50.00 a piece for GameGears and then rip out the pads ;)

Seriously, it isn't as easy as finding a pad that looks pretty and using it. The thicknesses, diameters, and other things just worked out well with the n-gage pad because of the construction and size. There are these rubber skirts with rubber points on them that just happen to be perfect. The rubber skirt holds in the pad and is flexible enough to move well and the rubber points actuate the switches. These points because of the flexibility also help avoid damaging and wearing out the switches because they are softer than a hard plastic that most pads use. I do agree that the appearance could be better but I can't find another pad that works as well, but looks better.

i dont think about how it looks when im playing it.. i think of the extra precision and improvement over the stick :) .. in fact ever since i got it i've started playing my games better

Eolair posted on Mar 21 2007 at 11:24 AM said:
I wish ED would add some cheaper shipping options. I would skip the insurance. Without a dpad mod my MK1 has no insurable value anyway :p

Well, the problem is that I as the shop owner have to pay myself when the gp2x gets lost when I send it back... so I cannot afford that :/

BTW: Most of the DPads gone... no MK2 anymore, and MK1 are only 2 left (only if it says so on the product page).

We definately need to get more pins to DaveC (or find a different way), as I already have over 10 preorders for pads I don't have :/

Last edited:
Dave, do you forsee yourself running out of the Ngage pads soon, I mean, you can't have an unlimited amount, right? Or are you good for pads for a while?

Nova posted on Mar 22 2007 at 12:53 AM said:
Dave, do you forsee yourself running out of the Ngage pads soon, I mean, you can't have an unlimited amount, right? Or are you good for pads for a while?

Yes the supply is dwindling. Maybe enough for 20 more or so then that will be it.

ED, I would not go mental with preorders. I don't know how many or when more can be made. It is your store but I would just suggest a first come first served basis through the store website. Maybe announce when you get pads and then say "they will be up for order on xx/xx/xxxx" Then the first 15 or so to add to cart will get them. Or something like that.

You may take more preorders than pads that can be made.

Don't worry, I don't get too many preorders. I only get many preorders as long as I have the product pages up in the shop ;)

People don't care what I mention in the product description. They order and (if they pay via PayPal) pay immediately, which would be even worse.
That doesn't happen with the preorders, as I only put them on a list, and if no DPads arrive, I'll tell them.

cowai posted on Mar 21 2007 at 08:41 AM said:
How easy is it to do it yourself with this kit?
Does it come good a manual?

Cowai,

I'll let you know how easy it is for a first timer.
my MK1 kit arrived this morning.

dpad.jpg

manual? :)

that's all that was in the envelope, no instructions or parts list,
so, i'll just have to assume that there is nothing missing?

on the plus side, i have contacted EvilDragon by e-mail, he replied quickly and has assured me he will e-mail me some instructions shortly.

i'm sure the operation can't be that difficult as there are so few parts:)
i am prepared for the 2x to die, i have factored in the risk!

i'll let you know how i get on.

fingers crossed!:)

GaRy:)

PS if there is by chance another install guide somewhere on this forum or on the web that i have managed NOT to stumble across, please feel free to let me know where it is. it's always good to have several opinions TIA.

erikthecat posted on Mar 28 2007 at 12:25 PM said:
PS if there is by chance another install guide somewhere on this forum or on the web that i have managed NOT to stumble across, please feel free to let me know where it is. it's always good to have several opinions TIA.

Just wait a while, I just took installing pictures today, so I'll have a guide ready by tonight :D

Last edited:
Back