D-pad Mod Thanks Davec!

telengard

Certified Guru
Website
users.adelphia.net
Just want to give some quick "props" to DaveC for modding my older gp2x (the one with the diagonal bias and other joystick oddities which rendered it unusable for me) with a very nice d-pad. Looks good and professionally quality install for an extremely reasonable price considering the work involved. He also was nice to add the center push switch in the back at my request in case I ever need it.

I'm a happy guy. I haven't touched the gp2x in probably 9 months but I see myself using it a lot now. :)

Thanks DaveC!

/me goes back to playing Tilematch

~telengard

Any chance of some photos. Does DaveC plan on doing more these?

I used to play my GP32 all the time, so I got one of the first batch of GP2X machines. I never really play on it anymore, or take much interest in current development for it -- all because of that rubbish joystick.
The GP32 has one of the best joysticks ever, the GP2X has one of the worst.

/rant

I could be interested in that mod.

;---------- edit ----------------

Found the discussion with photo here:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...amp;hl=dpad+mod

Last edited by a moderator:
I think ED has some MK1 models left, but there is a waiting list forming in the German forum over at gp2x.de :)

I for one am really happy with my dpad modded First edition... if you got a first edition or a MK1 it is definitly worth it!

Tip for those wanting d-pad mods:

*WATCH EVIL DRAGONS SHOP*

I sent a batch of D-pad kits to ED last Friday. Knowing it takes about 1 week for them to arrive in Germany he will probably have them the end of this week or sometime next week. Please don't e-mail bomb him though. He will put in the shop when he has them.

You will have to act pretty fast though as they go real quick. Usually only the German members get them as that is mostly who reads the German forums etc. So here is your chance to watch for and get them here if you want them.

dpadmod.jpg

DaveC, are the mods you sent for a particular model? I have a 1st Edition GP2x and have been looking out for the mods to be available again for quite some time, as I just missed the last lot.

So thats what the DPAD mod is meant to look like fitted properly! I over bevelled mine on the inside and the little plastic rim broke off:-( Anyway its still much better to use, only took me 6 months to be brave enough to fit it!

Thanks,

Mark

Alex. posted on Mar 20 2007 at 06:23 PM said:
DaveC at what's your Ngage caps source?

I hold up kids in the street and swipe their N-gage 2s :p

Actually I would get them on e-bay. Some replacement pads to fix the phones were available.

WhizzBang posted on Mar 20 2007 at 06:34 PM said:
DaveC, are the mods you sent for a particular model? I have a 1st Edition GP2x and have been looking out for the mods to be available again for quite some time, as I just missed the last lot.

I sent some for both models, but most are for the MK1. Those are in the most demand it seems.

foft posted on Mar 20 2007 at 09:21 PM said:
So thats what the DPAD mod is meant to look like fitted properly! I over bevelled mine on the inside and the little plastic rim broke off:-( Anyway its still much better to use, only took me 6 months to be brave enough to fit it!

Thanks,

Mark

Did you use the metal template? That should have helped with cutting the hole. Does the pad work well in all directions after you modded it?

Some more DPads arrived!

However, all the MK2 DPads are already sold out... at the moment, there are some MK1 versions available (even if the shop doesn't say so, I need to check with the preorders first).

So, if you want to order one (even if you probably need to wait for a while), check out the shop.

http://shop.gp2x.de

EvilDragon posted on Mar 21 2007 at 12:59 AM said:
Some more DPads arrived!

However, all the MK2 DPads are already sold out... at the moment, there are some MK1 versions available (even if the shop doesn't say so, I need to check with the preorders first).

So, if you want to order one (even if you probably need to wait for a while), check out the shop.

http://shop.gp2x.de

Here is the scene in front of your shop waiting for d-pad mods I heard :p

lines.jpg

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 20 2007 at 11:33 PM said:
LOL

I'd be interested in the very near future. I need some cash though.

I almost ordered one just as this was announced.

It would be too expensive for us here in the states ... for the mod with a center push button, it came out to ~$80 USD ... but we'd still have to ship it to Germany first, so tack on another $12-$20 to get it there, and you're talking near $100.

I'll just wait out for the commercial BOB, and use USB joypads instead :(

DaveC posted on Mar 20 2007 at 11:16 PM said:
foft posted on Mar 20 2007 at 09:21 PM said:

Did you use the metal template? That should have helped with cutting the hole. Does the pad work well in all directions after you modded it?

Yes the metal template definitely helped. I just overdid the bevel on the inside:) Works great in all directions now. Though I had to patch atari800 to make it work of course (interpret left+right as diagonal etc.). I was planning to use some 87C750 chips I've got lying around to do the diagonal stuff, but once I saw how much space there is I decided against it!

Thanks,

Mark

Man...that mod looks sooo good. I really want one for my poor unusable MK1!

The only thing holding me off is the terrible shipping cost from Germany to Sweden. 16.99 Euro...that's just insane. Even if it's with insurance. I wish ED would add some cheaper shipping options. I would skip the insurance. Without a dpad mod my MK1 has no insurable value anyway :p

So MK1s are already out of stock? I'm very interested, but $75 is pretty stiff to pay for something with an indefinite date.

Back