Custom TV-out Cable Pre-orders (Split from other topic)

peca

Website
Visit site
OK, lets move on with TV-outs! Anbody watching TinyBoB thread already could see my first atempt: Fotografie0301.jpg, Fotografie0302.jpg, Fotografie0300.jpg

(actually it is second one, but first was ugly - without TinyBoB).

Soldering is little tricky, but I'm getting used to it. So I'm opening pre-orders BUT BEWARE - don't pay until I ask in PM! As I see from poll - demand is quite high. I have 100 EXT port connectors ready for cables - but it must be about 700 of them out there.

Other think is those serial outputs. It take some time to design wiring, get parts and test. So - please wait or take just TV-out only. Same for GPIO lines. On the cable will be little plastics box that could be opened - it has cover clicked in (not glued). So I could solder wires and keep them available in this box.

I think that any length up to 5 meters should be OK, but I don't test it yet. So if You like long cable (even longer then 5 m) just ask. I'll test if it is possible or signal loose is significant. Or take short one and use extension cable available in local stores.

Prices: "Standard" cable - which means S-Video miniDIN + Composite RCA + stereo audio in/out RCA in length of 3 m (10 ft) is for 20 USD + 1 USD per every additional meter + shipping. I'll sort it by order time. If You are hurry or worry or anything else You can offer more and skip to the front of queue (offer what You think is valuable for You). I'll make it in my spare time.

Shipping should be something like this (it is up to 250 grams):

* Non-EU countries

** registered

*** priority (air) mail = 7.5 USD

*** ground mail = 6.5 USD

** standard

*** priority (air) mail = 5.3 USD

*** ground mail = 4.3 USD

* EU countries

** registered only

*** priority (air) mail = 6.5 USD

*** ground mail = 4.3 USD

PayPal fees: 0,66 USD + 3.9% of price (or You can pay as "Gift" and take fees on You own).

If anybody has ordered TinyBoBs and like to those plastics covers (shoved in pictures) or cables, please respond immediately so I could pack it into one package.

Please, respond here only if You have general question. Order in PM only and don't forget specify if You like "standard" cable, or something other. Specify length, provide postal address.

(Prometheus-edit: To avoid confusion, this thread was split from peca's other thread, and poll, here.)

Last edited by a moderator:
What, I'm not good enough? ;) (And the report button's not? :p )

I'm on it.

EDIT: Done.

Not a problem. :p

To get on-topic: I've sent you a PM, peca. :)

If anybody has ordered TinyBoBs and like to those plastics covers (shoved in pictures) or cables, please respond immediately so I could pack it into one package.
Plastic USB covers look great! I've sent you a PM about this.

I hope the covers still fit after soldering a 14-pins flat cable (IDC) on the TinyBoB's. Wires are pretty thin, so I think they will.

Must...use...all...pins... :)

holy crap, for $30 these better have a Monster logo on them :|

can we consider now that this, is the death of the official tv-cables (even if they never born :p ) ?

Plastic USB covers look great! I've sent you a PM about this. I hope the covers still fit after soldering a 14-pins flat cable (IDC) on the TinyBoB's. Wires are pretty thin, so I think they will.
I'm fear that it not fit. Hole is 5.5 mm wide (circle): Fotografie0304.jpg

holy crap, for $30 these better have a Monster logo on them :|
Yes, it is expensive in way how it is made. Very small run, components selected by quality, availability and even coast but burden by shipping. Hand made in free time. Other option is order bare connector and make one on You own, ask friend or try some electronics service. I think that some skilled serviceman could build one cable just for 2 beers or some other drink - but hundred of them is more about work then about fun. :)

the cables are 20 bucks, not 30, unless you need 13 meters :p
Don't forget PayPal fees and postage, actually it is circa 30 bucks. But I need stay over zero anyway - wife watching. ;-)

@AHAHAH: I hope not! I don't like to make other loose to OPT.

OK. I try to answer all PMs - hopefully not forgot anyone.

And one thing - if somebody want to lead out spare wires - You must to make a note in PM. Otherwise I'll use 7-line shielded cable. For all lines I'll have to order another cable with (at least) 14 wires (or 13 + shielding, but they actually have only 15-line + shielding) - I'll order only necessary amount and only on demand.

I'm fear that it not fit. Hole is 5.5 mm wide (circle): View attachment 773
Thank you very much for the picture.

I need to separate all wires to be able to solder them to the board. When I scale the picture below to correct size, the diameter of the bundle of wires is hardly 5 mm. I think they'll fit perfectly, so I'll take the chance. Also, I do have a drill if I'm wrong. :)

usb_idc.jpg

Ontopic: I'll solder my own (IDC) cables, but I think $30,- for a TV-out cable is incredibly cheap considering the time and effort peca needs to put in each cable. The official pre-order cable was (I think) around $20,- and mass-produced. OPT still has my money for that cable. I'm sure we'll receive them when they're ready. I still want one!

I'd totally agree with panik here that $30 is incredibly cheap for Peca's time and effort here, as I said way back when and I'm seriously impressed by all the effort thats gone into creating the Tiny BoB's and these great looking cables. Seriously genius work man
cool.gif

I'll PM you an order for a couple of cables and a Tiny BoB if I may Peca but a quick question first, as I was intending to do as Zapman did here and hook upto, one of a couple of spare TFT monitors I've got in storage but I've a dreaded feeling they don't have S-Video ports and just DVI which totally isn't possible, correct?

In which case I'll have to fight my son for the main TV, as he dominates it working his way through my console collection daily
smile.gif

L2 R2 Buttons:

I just wanted to let you guys know that I intend to build and sell a L2 R2 button accessory, this will have an optional TV out. So if you intend to buy my button accessory you may want to wait. I should also let you know that I dont expect these to start shipping for some time.

I'll PM you an order for a couple of cables and a Tiny BoB if I may Peca but a quick question first, as I was intending to do as Zapman did here and hook upto, one of a couple of spare TFT monitors I've got in storage but I've a dreaded feeling they don't have S-Video ports and just DVI which totally isn't possible, correct?
Yes. But You can use S-Video (or Composite) to VGA converter. I'll buy one for this and wasn't test it with Pandora yet (so it's time...)

L2 R2 Buttons:

I just wanted to let you guys know that I intend to build and sell a L2 R2 button accessory, this will have an optional TV out. So if you intend to buy my button accessory you may want to wait. I should also let you know that I dont expect these to start shipping for some time.

I could have also waited for my pre-order Pandora to arrive - but then the last few months would have been pretty bleak... and many many months to come.

So I'm going to get one of these cables from peca, even though I had also ordered an official one... and will more than likely purchase your accessory as well. ;)

I hate to say this, but I must postpone shipping at Monday :-( I lost Saturday due my wife's lost (or stolen) valet and today I've got some weird issue with cables. I've got somehow coloured picture on composite output and bad picture on S-Video. I was think that it is due to length and start experiments with it.

For those who don't know - composite output is connected to tv-out-1 pin (luminance) and in this state gives black and white picture only. For colour picture we need new kernel. So - I should get BW picture on composite, not colour.

Picture was distorted with colours interfere on edges. I thing that this is by signal transfer between lines on long cable. I tested S-Video out with the same result. I've got same results on 2 meters long cable too and start to panicking. Again test short Pandora TVout adapter for Nokia cable and it works nice (sharp BW picture). Then I tested my TV to VGA converter.

Composite on TV to VGA converter blinking - I thought that it was out of sync. S-Video show blurry edges similar to TV set picture. Next I tried short adapter and it blinking too (adapter doesn't have s-video) - so blinking is issue unrelated to cable.

Next I checked the same on my mother TV set - but similar crap and the same brand of TV - the same result. I just fall out and let my wife and children to take me on bicycle trip with them. After 3 hours I just try the same 3 m cable and TV to VGA adapter and even it still blinking on composite input, it gets nice colourful picture on s-video input. Even better position then on TV set (see photos). On my TV still same bad manner. Then I realize that I'm using some box to connect S-Video to EURO Scart on my TV. This could be an issue - It could be bad wired, maybe my TV can't work with S-Video attached to scart, maybe it is real problem with interfering signals.

Because I can't clearly say that cable is really good or not - I can't it send now. Tomorrow I'll ask friend with big plasma with (I hope) standard S-Video input and test it. The shame is that S-Video isn't common on A/V devices here. I'll try to make my own proper wired S-Video to Scart adapter and test cable against my TV again. I'll find nothing - I'll try some less length. At worst I'll send back given money and continue with short adapter cables only.

All who already pay and waiting for cables - Take my deep apologize and believe I'll sort it out within a few days or send money back. I'm very sorry for this. I was hope for some good work for this comunity and this really annoying me.

EDIT: Attached photos:

Brilliant picture on 17" monitor. OK, little blurry, but it's due converter capabilities: Fotografie0305.jpg, Fotografie0306.jpg.

Crappy composite: Fotografie0307.jpg.

It looks good, but it isn't (S-Video) Fotografie0310.jpg

Sharp BW pictures from composite...Fotografie0311.jpg, Fotografie0312.jpg.

Unfortunate news... but not entirely unexpected... This is the Pandora after all - unforeseen complications are pretty much a given. ;)

It's our fault really - for calling it the 'OPEN' Pandora. Murphy, Sod and all their mischievous pals are having a field day with us.

I think I could be quite happy with the shorter adapter if it comes to that.

I really think that it is due to interfering signal in cable. While is shielded - but all lines lead under one shield - so it interfere each other. I'm confused by good picture on monitor. It was bad in first attempt, but now it is better.

Check your soldering, and use an ohm meter to confirm the connections are correct. That problem looks like bleeding between the C to L lines. Could be magnetic interference, which would be hard to fix without changing (or shortening) the cable, but it could simply be a tiny thread of tin connecting the pins, or possibly even that you accidentally reversed C and ground, or a minor break somewhere in the line: that could explain why it was good sometimes and bad others, just a tiny break that sometimes connects and sometimes not.

Too bad about the setback, hope you can work it out ok.

Question: Can the aspect ratio be made to match the pandora? If i send tv out to a 4:3 TV and a psx game fills the screen that's perfect, but is it possible to see the 16:10 of newer apps letterboxed? (instead of distorted to fill the 4:3) Just curious.

Back