Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some examples of handheld consoles made in China:

consolesf6758.jpg

jmetal88 said:
OK, now that similarities between these sketches and the device have been mentioned I'm starting to feel more at ease with there being a keyboard on the device.
Maybe. Or it could mean "but then we realize that since we're actually trying to be a notebook computer the usual clamshell makes the most sense." I think these dismissive sort of statements are a little bit insulting -- if they've decided on a design, just say so and we'll wait or wander off. If they haven't, then comment on them instead of just reminiscing about their early days. If you have comments, give them, dont't just say "funny how we already thought of everything you could ever come up with."

Sorry to Craig (with whom i have a good personal relationship) but this smug dismissive attitude is not generating enthusiasm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at all those Dpad designs!

Dzz said:
jmetal88 said:
OK, now that similarities between these sketches and the device have been mentioned I'm starting to feel more at ease with there being a keyboard on the device.
Maybe. Or it could mean "but then we realize that since we're actually trying to be a notebook computer the usual clamshell makes the most sense." I think these dismissive sort of statements are a little bit insulting -- if they've decided on a design, just say so and we'll wait or wander off. If they haven't, then comment on them instead of just reminiscing about their early days. If you have comments, give them, dont't just say "funny how we already thought of everything you could ever come up with."

Sorry to Craig (with whom i have a good personal relationship) but this smug dismissive attitude is not generating enthusiasm.

Where would the fun of this thread be if we revealed all? We are having fun teasing and revealing little bits as we go on, but sometimes I guess the internet is a serious business :-/

craigix said:
You should see what we showed GPH back in 2006... (drum roll for daveC)
You know what, I really think we should :D

And please, don't clutter things up with 6 action buttons, look at that, who needs that? Truly intuitive controls are not possible like that, you might as well have the whole keyboard there...

OK, see all the dpad designs, which of the 4 buttons style do you think might work the best? We would really like to see some dpad designs.

craigix said:

Where would the fun of this thread be if we revealed all? We are having fun teasing and revealing little bits as we go on, but sometimes I guess the internet is a serious business :-/

You don't have to reveal all, you just have to say you have decided all. Now that we know that, we can go back to sleep, waiting to see if this gets further than XGP did.

Dzz said:
You don't have to reveal all, you just have to say you have decided all. Now that we know that, we can go back to sleep, waiting to see if this gets further than XGP did.
Speculating is fun though.... for some.

craigix said:
PS one of the posted designs is pretty close.
But will you tell us which? ;)

Anyway. For me, there ain't a better DPad than Nintendo's. Which is really weird to me. :(

sam fisher said:
I wish the craig console with all this financial backing was based on the i.mx31.
Yeah, the ARM11 with VFPU looks like a great setup. It will be interesting to see how the MMSP2+ compares. I like that it has a dual memory bus to separate DDR RAM chips which can really allow some true parallel tasking, but the interfaces are only 16-bits each so there is some bottlenecking there too. Nevertheless, I plan on picking one of these new systems up as soon as Craig makes them available!

We have not totally completed the design (as MFK already said), I just posted something about Dpads asking for opinion. We have been looking though all the designs today and talking about them.

Some of the images are almost exactly the same as our sketches, of which we have many. One of the designs posted today is pretty close to where we are now.

Try to give us some room, we didn't start this thread and it has kind of gone ahead before we wanted it to if you see what I mean, so since the launch is still some way off give us a little space to be vague! :)

I for one, am enjoying the occasional confirmation posts by Craig, ED and mfk.

It's already been confirmed that there will be a keyboard and a touch-screen, so my curiosity has been sated. I can wait for the rest as it unfolds :D

Yes, if we reveal everything here now there won't be a big unveiling count down later on ;)

Imagine how many reloads that one will create :)

craigix said:
Yes, if we reveal everything here now there won't be a big unveiling count down later on ;)

Imagine how many reloads that one will create :)
when you officially unveil it, you want enough people here to know about it coming that it can gain a high Digg score to get the initial media attention.

I know enough here to understand the capabilities of the device. Time to start learning OpenGL ES 1.1.

norm said:
<snip>

i'm liking these two designs mostly nova's (top)

not liking this much though:
<snip>
Do you seriously want to pull out the keyboard every time you want to type? I would rather slide up the screen and be able to use the keyboard, action buttons & d-pad at the same time. It is much easier to use....unless you have really short fingers. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back