Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes i am sure he will :) the designs people have come up with are really good and i hope the handheld will be on the same lines as these.

First of all, thanks guys. :) I appreciate the comments.
Esslan said:
Yeah, that design looks really nice!

Although I would personally like two analog sticks (not at the expense of a proper d-pad though)
Well, from my experience, most psx games that use the left analog make the use of the d-pad the same. So you could use the d-pad, I've used the psx emulator on the psp and it is not that bad playing psx games with its d-pad. Plus, it lowers cost and weight because of the fact that it has less components than what you're thinking of. And finally, it make the controls less cramped and more easy-to-use.

I will update a sketch later people. I think psx fans will like it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
JyCet said:
fusion_power said:
I had a similar Idea for vertical Mode :lol:

Yes, thats no design, it's just a scribble where I would like to see Buttons. Important (for my big hands) a high position of the pad and Action Buttons. Speaker over the Buttons/Pad so they are free, SD slot at the right so we have much space at the top of the device. :) NO Keyboard! This should be an attachable gadget and not a part of the device. I think a build in Keyboard is more expencive, the device is more sensitive especially when falling over and we have more movable parts on the Handheld, not good, really.
With an seperate keyboard everyone could decide if he wants one or not :)

Good connector places :)
Perhaps an ext connector in the bottom, tv on the top, volume wheel on left and finally a third button for vertically use ? ;)

Yes, of course there are more things on it i've not painted, LED's for Power and Battery to. And we could keep the + and - for the Buttons under the D-Pad so they have clear names even if they don't used for volume control.
I have a Name for the Creation: HOMEBREWER POCKET :lol:

OMars said:
Here's one I made using mpaint and some keyboard I took off of another design. We don't really need the number pad. I would rather have a keyboard with bigger buttons than a small cramped keyboard with two sets of number keys. ;) Keep in mind that I am only good at sketching, I can't draw for crap when it comes to computers. Plus, scanners make my pictures look like crap:
gp2x2tr8.png

I think that this is what most of us here would need.
Ok, this is an interesting Design, I could live with it as long this thing is builded solid enough to survive even at the Mars. ^^

Who needs a Num Pad? More important on such a keyboard would be support fo foreign language special letters like ÄÖÜ... etc.

hey I want to be able to play tate (vertical) games too!

I think it's good that there are people like daveC around to remind everyone of things we should not overlook.

and if he get's banned, there will only be more of us GGGRRRRR!!!!

OMars said:
Well, from my experience, most psx games that use the left analog make the use of the d-pad the same. So you could use the d-pad, I've used the psx emulator on the psp and it is not that bad playing psx games with its d-pad. Plus, it lowers cost and weight because of the fact that it has less components than what you're thinking of. And finally, it make the controls less cramped and more easy-to-use.

Well, I guess your right. and you can still play fps (Duke Nukem High Resolution Pack! :)) with just one analog stick.The thing on the lower right on the machine is supposed to be an analog stick, yes?

Esslan said:
OMars said:

Well, I guess your right. and you can still play fps (Duke Nukem High Resolution Pack! :)) with just one analog stick.The thing on the lower right on the machine is supposed to be an analog stick, yes?

Yeah. :)

OMars said:
I like that design and I'm wondering if maybe instead of having 2 buttons under the D-Pad for verticle mode, you could have 4, just like the standard buttons on the right side! :) Or would that be too uncomfortable when using the D-pad?

I don't know if it's possible or enough strong or enough cheap. Well another idea...
A kind of nds, but you can play like gp2x or psp:
shelltwopositionsrz1.png

Shifty said:
OMars said:
I like that design and I'm wondering if maybe instead of having 2 buttons under the D-Pad for verticle mode, you could have 4, just like the standard buttons on the right side! :) Or would that be too uncomfortable when using the D-pad?

I'm not sure how many arcade games use 4 buttons like that. But if that is what the people want...

Does anybody agree with him? I'll include it in my actual sketch.

Xmoon said:
I don't know if it's possible or enough strong or enough cheap. Well another idea...
A kind of nds, but you can play like gp2x or psp:
shelltwopositionsrz1.png

That looks like a Zaurus SL-C... Clamshell design with rotating screen :)

I like OMars design and your second one Metal-Geo :lol:

Let us not forget that it is first to be a portable gaming console, and second ( yet not less important ) a portable micro computer... At least this is what it looks and sounds like :)

Is this project anything to do with the threads about that other site making a homebrew device a few months ago...? I can't remember the details or find the threads etc.

I tarted up OMars' idea, because I like it best of all.

Though I added an extra stick...

geepee2py8.png

Nova said:
It'll be interesting to try and write anything meaningful with that keyboard with so few keys :D.

Nova said:

Though I added an extra stick...

geepee2py8.png

Though I like everyones designs... I don't see the need for so many sticks... Not even for emulation :)

Edit: We've been asked for designs, so lets get real... 1 DPad, 4 main buttons, volume wheel, start/select/mode buttons, 4 shoulder triggers, one keyboard and one wide screen B)... I don't see craigix, mfk, or anyone else putting so many sticks and thingies on this machine :lol:

I like omar's but keyboard perhaps will be small.

A kind of strong cover for the screen is a good idea.

Will this handheld have a hardware sounf for mp3/ogg decompressing?

PS1 has 2 sticks. Therefore if perfect PS1 emulation is to be touted as a selling point, it should have everything the PS1 has. No?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back