Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by saehn, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dzz

Dzz stmia r0!, {r2-r9}

Thanks for volunteering to port Firefox, Sam! You da man!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  2. sam fisher

sam fisher Well-Known Member

OM3? Well on linux i've had it down to 76MB, with linux running aswell, so if we can manage the same on GPNext. Anyway, it may be too bloated :(

Edit: Naaaa, I will be the first to port a beta of hello world to the console though :p Orkie suggested if he is bored oneday he may look into firefox :D

3. predatorramboxxx

predatorramboxxx Member

4. shinneri

shinneri Certified Guru

Are there no lightweight open-source browser projects? I know Opera's the popular handheld browser, but that's not open (right?).

If dzz is right, I'm excited about this. I'm wary of the dual-core thing. But I'm no dev. If I see it producing substantial results, that's all that matters. Good luck. :)

5. jmetal88

jmetal88 Erm.... Woohoo!

I have actually managed to run Firefox on a 120mhz Pentium with 32mb of RAM. I believe it was a pre-1.5 version though.

6. Alex.

Alex. Retired

Two times speed increase for casual apps sounds fantastic, add to that 2D acceleration, and very intense games will become a reality :)

I wonder, will it be possible for tasks in a program to be shared between the two cores by Linux, without having to write specific code to do this? I assume that's how modern dual core architectures work, right? Of course, a SOC is different, so I have no idea, just dreaming :)

7. kingbuzzo

kingbuzzo Still Fresh

now let's consult the wikipedia....

In British usage, some words of French, Latin, or Greek origin end with a consonant followed by -re, with the -re unstressed and pronounced [ə(ɹ)]. Most of these words have the ending -er in the U.S. The difference is most common for words ending -bre or -tre: British spellings accoutre(ment), goitre, litre, lustre, mitre, nitre, reconnoitre, saltpetre, spectre, centre, titre; calibre, fibre, sabre, and sombre all have -er in American spelling.

It appears you are both right and wrong! depending where you are anyway.
    since this is an english speaking forum with an international appeal, both spelling will most likely be accepted as proper. You will most likely only be considered wrong for accusing the word "centre" as being an incorrect spelling of the word "center".

Also keep in mind, Canada also uses British English. So you might see some dudes like myself speaking in a way that is similar to most Americans, but spelling like the British do.

THE MORE YOU LEARN...

now that this thread has gone to all, let's kill the time until this new gizmo comes out by playing some games on the gp2x..... eh?

8. KeyboardCowboy

KeyboardCowboy Still Fresh

Two times speed increase for casual apps sounds fantastic, add to that 2D acceleration, and very intense games will become a reality smile.gif

I wonder, will it be possible for tasks in a program to be shared between the two cores by Linux, without having to write specific code to do this? I assume that's how modern dual core architectures work, right? Of course, a SOC is different, so I have no idea, just dreaming smile.gif

Even in high-end PC processors with 4 cores, this isn't an available feature. It is very difficult for a processor to manually parallelize code as it is running, and multi-core processors are still in their infancy. Most software is not multithreaded, even. As the technology improves I'm sure we'll see that change; however it will probably take even longer for mobile devices.

In addition, Linux would not be the means to implement such a thing. Due to the (apparent) use of the MMSP2+ and lack of a secondary MMU, Linux will not recognize the 2nd processor. Therefore utilizing it will be no easier than the 940T in the MMSP2.

Though the program's executable and support files occupy ~5mb, the program, when memory resident, can occupy over 100mb... even over 200mb, depending on how many tabs you have open. FireFox also has a number of memory leak bugs that cause it to occupy more and more RAM over time. It is not very practical for use on a handheld. However a port of a much older version of Mozilla could be very practical. While FireFox is an excellent browser for a decent PC, there are other browsers better suited to a handheld.

9. TyBO!

TyBO! Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015
  10. J201605

J201605 Member

11. KeyboardCowboy

Would you prefer I lie to him? "Of course Linux will split up threads to two processors, one of which it isn't aware exists because it lacks an MMU, on a low-end mobile chipset, when high-end PCs and workstations lack this capability?" "Anything is possible if you put your mind to it"? If hearing factual information bothers you, you are more than welcome not to read it. At any rate, it's better if prospective developers be aware of what is realistically possible on this machine from the very start, rather than repeat past issues where perceived features before launch and actual features AFTER launch turned out to be quite different.

12. gaterooze

gaterooze Coltrane Sundia

I think we trust people like Squidge, Zodttd and Dzz a lot more than someone who couldn't even get a 2D shooter running on the GP2X.

They've made it clear you don't know what you're talking about regarding the MMSP2+, so why not give it a rest eh?

13. KeyboardCowboy

Who exactly is it you think I am? (Apparently, Satan.) Anyone technically knowledgeable will agree that single-threaded applications can't easily be made to run across multiple processors, and it's common knowledge that processors without MMUs are not recognized as legitimate processors by Linux.

At any rate, it's probable my intentions are being widely misconstrued. Am I out to make a bad name for the GP2X with my posts? No. Is the GP2X a perfect machine? No; otherwise why is there a new machine in development, and why has it garnered so much excitement? The GP2X had shortcomings and flaws that a new machine should correct and improve upon if it is to be a true successor and worth being given the time of day.

It is the apparent common opinion in this forum that if the owners of stores who originally sold the GP2X are involved, the machine will be amazing, guaranteed. The harsh reality is that even a few flaws, like failing to give separate memory to both CPUs and the 2D/3D Accelerator, or failing to use MobileDDR instead of SDRAM, will hopelessly cripple the machine and leave developers struggling to make use of it. Make of that what you will, but if you take that as a personal slight and perceive the GP2X and its successor as a religious experience, it might be worthwhile to re-evaluate your perspective.

14. Vimacs

Vimacs Don't be evil!

epicenter, ever heard of uClinux?

Also this thread is NOT about the gp2x, pleas stop arguing about it already, any further offtopic posts WILL be deleted.

he harsh reality is that even a few flaws, like failing to give separate memory to both CPUs and the 2D/3D Accelerator, or failing to use MobileDDR instead of SDRAM, will hopelessly cripple the machine and leave developers struggling to make use of it.

The new handheld wont have those flaws. Also the overall memory bandwidth is much higher, so there's even less concern about that.

15. KeyboardCowboy

16. cappuchok

cappuchok Member

17. gp2x.info

gp2x.info Still Fresh

That would be great!

18. quartercast

quartercast Well-Known Member

19. zaoin

zaoin Member

What kind of in/out slots will have?

Sdio?
    USBs? 1, 2 , 3?
    People say that Infrared is not useful but I like it. For tv's, etc...
    Add these things too much cost?

Bluetooth will not be included, right?

Is really necessary two speakphones?
    For me one speakphone is enough. (at least in my zodiac)
    Nintendo ds speakphones are very good.

(My favorite design is DaveC, with speakphones on front-top)

20. supaimposter

supaimposter Still Fresh

Can someone sum up what info we have on this new machine coz this thread is getting very long and im confused about what we definatly know. :)
    Also please include bluetooth as this would be great for two player head to head games, wifi is ok but you have to be in a hotspot to play.
    Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.