Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The funny thing about the MMSP2+ is that it is a totally new bit of kit, it isn't really related to the MMSP2 at all. You could not just put it inside the gp2x and it would work, everything would have to be redesigned from the ground up.

Oh and any new system will be released when it's ready, without the faults and flaws of a certain previous release :)

I do not really have a problem with a new system eventually coming out... I have a problem with people going balistic over nowhere near exact information and gossip. It's just plain annoying. Either craig has information that he wants to release or not. All the begging and falsely promising topic titles just drive me insane. That's all I am complaining about.

So hopefully, if there is a new handheld coming our way, it will have all the problems the gp2x had resolved. Eventhough I am still farily happy with my gp2x. It stays the best investment in hardware I ever made.

Dzz said:
built in floating point
Nope. Seems to be kinda a sticking point because without hardware FPU you're not going to get anywhere with N64 emulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
Dzz said:
built in floating point
Nope. Seems to be kinda a sticking point because without hardware FPU you're not going to get anywhere with N64 emulation.

Hmm, well the datasheet claims a "programmable floating point vector processing engine". They could be lying I suppose.

Dzz said:
fusion_power said:
Dzz said:
Well the obvious upgrade is to switch to the "MMSP2+".

http://www.mesdigital.com/english/Products...duct_mmsp2p.asp

That would be a pretty kick-ass upgrade and might not cost them too much in terms of re-engineering the hardware and software.

As noob at this stuff, what can this processor better than the current? And how compatible is the whole thing? I mean, could I plug my current GP2X SD Card into a new device with this Processor and every programm is running like at the old GP2X?

As for compatibility, we'd have to study the manuals to tell for sure. My guess is that most or all programs would have to be rebuilt, but porting would be quite easy.

As to new capabilities, there are a lot. Double the processor speed, much higher memory bandwidth, built in floating point and decent-performance 3D accelerator, and so on.

It's just idle speculation though.

Ah, ok. :)
But doesn't mean "Double Processor Speed" the same like "double Battery drain" ? ;) On Overall Problem with more Processor Power of an future GP2X Device is the lifetime of the batteries. I mean, our current GP2X has not much more than 5-6 hours of Charge-life even with high capacity 2700mAh cells. -Thats very poor compared to the Nintendo DS for example. Even the PSP has equal lifetime and the PSP just has one 1800mAh Accu and 333MHz. I wonder, how they can squeeze that much "juice" out of this weak Accu. ^^""

Well A (theoretic) future GP2X-like-device (whatever) should have MORE battery Lifetime than our current model...And I think thats very unlikely with more powerful processors, 3D chips and so on. But correct me if I'm wrong.

fusion_power said:
But doesn't mean "Double Processor Speed" the same like "double Battery drain" ? ;)
Sometimes. From their web site, the MMSP2+ is on a 0.13 micron fab process instead of the 0.18 micron process of the MMSP2; shrinking the transistors like that usually means lower power consumption per transistor. Beats me though.

Note that this discussion is all just for fun, not rumor mongering.

For power, yes, any new system would have to be li-ion based, AAs just can't give the needed power anymore.

This does mean it would come with a PSU though which will solve another GP2X issue.

X-Code said:
C'mon craigix give us an approximate release date B)
He's already given one in another topic if I remember correctly :)

Julius said:
Well, if they would drop the price of the GP2X (which is still very close to the price it was released with, while all other handhelds became a lot cheaper), then maybe sales wouldn't be as dead as CraigiX says.
I'd say the problem there is that other consoles are built in such huge numbers that once the R&D has been paid for, they can afford to sell the consoles at cost price (and some of them sell them at a loss even) simply because they know that they'll get the money back in bought games.

Dzz said:
Hmm, well the datasheet claims a "programmable floating point vector processing engine". They could be lying I suppose.
I doubt they are lying, but I don't think you have the full text. Add "for geometric transform.". Ie, it can handle four floating point numbers at the same time and it'll most likely be used for multiplying vertices and transforming matrices(world/view/projection) and converting them into projection space. However, like you said, its programmable, so might have other uses too.

craigix said:
The funny thing about the MMSP2+ is that it is a totally new bit of kit, it isn't really related to the MMSP2 at all. You could not just put it inside the gp2x and it would work, everything would have to be redesigned from the ground up.

Oh and any new system will be released when it's ready, without the faults and flaws of a certain previous release :)

But will it have faults and flaws of it's own? Will it be as versitile as the GP2X and play games and arcade games in any orientation and at a good size? Will the screen be emu-friendly or will it force compromises? Will everything be stretched and fuzzy where the GP2X is sharp now? Will the controls be comfortable and responsive or will it be awkward and uncomfortable to play? Will the power source be flexible? - In this case no, as you already stated it will be li-ion. What happens if you are not near a charger and the battery goes out? Will the batteries be expensive and hard to find? Are they even replaceable? what happens when the unit is not made anymore and you can't find batteries for it?

One thing we know is it will be more powerful. That is a given, but CPU power isn't everything. Will we be trading more power for other issues? Will it be the ultimate or will it have it's drawbacks and "gotchas" as well as improvements?

criagix said:
They will be answering questions and taking requests, and all the technical specs and data will be fully open to all interested parties.
If you're going to make a practical joke like this work, you have to make it believable :)

Maybe the "Value (removed)" pack is what is killing the sales? I wanted a new one, but adding $5 worth of crap I don't even like and charging me $20-30 extra is SHIT. So I bought a used one.

I like the MMSP2+ idea and the Lithium Ion (just please, please use a standard replaceable battery that any battery store can replace for years to come, and we need a picture guide to replace it.)

Basically if it is about the same thing as we have now, but with Li-Ion and VGA output (I don't know if the MMSP2+ is capable of it.), as well as built-in USB (for that matter can we get a dedicated bay for Wifi?? even a recessed/internal USB for a Wifi Stick would be very nice :D)

As for the people on about power consumption, the MMSP2+ integrates a TV encoder (I think) and maybe the USB 2.0 as well, so no more separate power consuming microchips.

I most want touch-screen and 640x480 display, but I don't think it is a thing to offer as standard, because the extra cost just wouldn't fly.

I don't give a crap about Widescreen vs regular screen, in fact it might be nice to put some emu stats in the extra area and watch movies. And plus for widescreen is that the original games will look better and thus be "better" than emulated games.

Squidge said:
Dzz said:
I doubt they are lying, but I don't think you have the full text. Add "for geometric transform.". Ie, it can handle four floating point numbers at the same time and it'll most likely be used for multiplying vertices and transforming matrices(world/view/projection) and converting them into projection space. However, like you said, its programmable, so might have other uses too.

Doesn't matter if it's fully programmable or not, to be an FPU it has to be a coprocessor directly mounted on the CPU. Anything else would have too much latency to emulate an FPU (it'd be much faster to do it in software)

I would really hope not to be stuck with semi-propriatory Li-ion. Even 'standard' packs are not standard enough that one would be confident they'll still be around in five years.

Options would be great - an interchangeable battery pack? Or add on AA pack. Talking to the wall aren't I... Oh well, I guess I might just stick my old gp2x... Reckon its still got another ten years or so gaming in it :)

Looking at the console prices now... I'd say pricewise the Gp2x isn't competitive enough. Of course GPH do make their money from selling consoles, and not licenses for games.

This thread kinda made me think a lil, we aint even got as far as the gp2x can go yet, that is true, but I do not think competition is a bad thing. I would love for a gp2x competitor to arise, cos right now its a *single market* unit.
Imagine the GBAX with 2 viable handhelds that are made to run open source stuff v NDS + PSP ;)

[edit]

Don't bring up GP32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back