Cradle Polarity Reversal Woes

miito

Still Fresh
I recently purchased a gp2x cradle in the hopes of using the JTAG to debrickify my gp2x (coloured bars). Unfortunately I neglected to check the polarity for the power adaptor. Needless to say I picked the wrong one (negative centre). Aside from that, the correct voltage was supplied.

I plugged the cradle (with no gp2x) into the power adaptor and turned on the power. There were three or four loud clicks, and some smoke started coming out of the cradle. I then opened it up to have a peek at the damage.

The area of the PCB which appears to have the damaged components on it. CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL SIZE

This photo was taken after I reversed the polarity so that it was correct. After I plugged it in, it powered up for a second before a wisp of black smoke came out of the top contact of F1. After that it cut out, leaving me with two dead GPH devices.

Am I correct thinking that F1 is a voltage regulator? If I check the voltage around F1 I get a reading of about 5v

The PCB looked charred, C25 looked like it turned to ash, and a bunch of other components looked a little melted on their corners all before I reversed the polarity and turned it on again.

Anyone got any suggestions on whether or not this is practical (i.e. costs less than the cost of a new board/cradle) to repair? If so, please advise me on what I need to replace/do. I do have a multimeter to hand if I need to check anything else to identify the extent of the damage.

Thanks,
Tim

Looks like it has a smoothing cap directly of the supply rail, and it's taken your reverse polarity very seriously. Replace that part and it may well just work (or may not, depending on what else may be damaged).

At a guess, I'd say something like a 8V 100nF would be suitable, although I've no idea about the original spec.

I take it that you're referring to C25. Would a ceramic capacitor be the correct type to replace it with?

Back