Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Please stay safe, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny too, because educated people, old people, and Democrats are all groups who are more likely to say they'll get the vaccine, and are also all groups that skew female.

It makes think that a straight gender comparison, adjusting for all other factors, would present an even larger gap than the one they reported.

The reason that women will more likely take the vaccine is that on the big five personality traits women are are high in openness and agreeableness.

Basically, women are naiive and will do whatever their social group pressures them to do.

Democrats and the educated are basically made up of women and feminized men so the same analysis applies. Not sure about old people, old people are mostly women as men die younger, but they are usually under the care of others so who knows.

EDIT: A bit more.

If you want to see the psychological differences at play between the sexes, just watch/read Star Trek and american comics. Women and feminized men have taken over both industries in the last 5 to 8 years or so and you can see the dramatic change in what kinds of stories are told.

This pattern repeats everywhere.

Last edited:
Uh, you missed my post on the previous page. Women are less likely to say they'll take the vaccine than men.

I was saying that since they belong to groups that support the vaccine, the gap is likely even larger than reported. It's at 13 points if you don't adjust for other factors, but if you do it's likely 20+.

According to a poll cited by FiveThirtyEight, women are less likely to say they'll get the vaccine than men are. This contradicts what they know about women's health habits, that women generally take care of their health more than men do.
There's no contradiction at all.
Not wanting an untested product injected in your veins is actually a very sane behavior.

One other thing I meant to point out about their poll: It was taken at three different times. Support was highest the first time, dropped really low the second time, then bounced back for nearly every group the third time.

There is one exception, a group whose support dropped even further the third time: People aged 18 to 29 years old. This can be partly explained by the fact that their support didn't drop nearly as much as other groups during the second time. Their support is still even ahead of my age group, 30 to 49. It's just amazing that they didn't get any boost whatsoever from whatever changed everyone else's mind. I'm thinking maybe they're the least likely group to pay attention to traditional media overall.

Hahahaha!

Oh yeah, right. That vaxine is TOTALLY going to work! Trust us this time! Oh, the virus mutated, WOOPS!

This is like trying to get a vaxxine for the common cold. This is not going to work out for us how we think.

The vaccine prompts our immune system to recognise the spike protein that's on the outside of these viruses. The shape of that spike protein has been carefully engineered by natural selection in the virus lifecycle so that it fits a corresponding hole in the outside of human cells. If the virus has randomly changed its spike protein, most likely it's just made itself incompatible with human systems, so the likelihood is that it's changed some other mechanism most likely in some other part of it's internal RNA signature. As long as the spike hasn't changed significantly, the vaccine should still work, although to be sure we need to see if the vaccine works in London in the coming months.

I wonder, how well they chose their wording. Covid19 is a new variant of coronavirus, after SARS and whatnot. Or do they mean, a new variant of Covid19? (haven't read the article. just got up, no time)

Covid19 is the disease, SARS-Cov2 is the virus. There's a new variant of SARS-Cov2 which gives you a case of classic Covid19 more or less. There's already multiple variants of SARS-Cov2 in the wild; I'm aware that the old variant prevalent in Europe was a different strain to the one sequenced in Wuhan originally, but I don't think they've got different names for them yet.

Last edited:
My governor scheduled a COVID-19 press conference today in about two and a half hours.

Usually he only does these when he announces a new executive order, but I'm thinking due to vaccines rolling out this week, this one could just be a vaccine sales pitch.

Hmm, COVID-19 hospitalizations just jumped nearly 200 in my state, to over 2700. No word on what caused that. The rest of the data, admissions, tests, et cetera, looks normal.

Maybe there'll be more info about it at the governor's press conference.

Hard to tell without reading the whole report. It looks like very few participants, is that phase 2 ?
There's an article in Ars Technica linking about the FDA report of the phase 3 interim results for Moderna. Around 30000 participants with 7200 watched 2 months after 2nd dose, and some 7000 more one week shorter.
It's not that the data looks bad, it's that it is too litle data yet (specially for too short time). And there are questions that the trial didn't address (contagion, asymptomatic cases, long term...).

I missed the first ten minutes of the press conference, but as far as I can tell, it was just information on testing and vaccines. No new executive orders in North Carolina.

At one point, they confirmed something I had read somewhere, that long-term care residents and staff would be getting the Moderna vaccine instead of Pfizer's. This is because it's easier to distribute, and because they've already set up a partnership with CVS and Walgreen's pharmacies to distribute it to long-term care people.

So I guess I have to wait for them to approve and ship the Moderna vaccine before I get my shot.

At one point, they confirmed something I had read somewhere, that long-term care residents and staff would be getting the Moderna vaccine instead of Pfizer's. This is because it's easier to distribute, and because they've already set up a partnership with CVS and Walgreen's pharmacies to distribute it to long-term care people.

Please remember I'm not a doctor. I've heard a doctor somewhere saying something that I didn't realise, though. Don't start worrying, it's not a big deal, and it may be for other kind of care centers. I just found it curious.

It seems both BioNTech and Moderna have as secondary effect fatigue (and a kind of flulike state for 2 or 3 days after each injection). That man said that this must be taken into account when planning distribution to care centers, because if you suddenly have many residents too tired and unable to do what they usually can, then the caregivers will be overburdened, so it is better not to vaccinate all residents at once to keep care manageable. I guess that holds also for the staff. You don't want all caregivers tired the same day. So maybe it shouldn't be like when I was a child and a team of nurses came to school and all children of some age got vaccinated in a morning.

[EDIT:Sorry about fake news
He also said the BioNTech vaccine is not good for people taking simtron, heparin or other anticoagulants. That's quite many old people.

I have just learnt that it has been explicitly denied by the Spanish Cardiology Society. They say that people on anticoagulants should be sure to keep in right coagulation values, but then get the vaccine since they are on higher risk than healthier people.
]

Also not good for severe allerghics, but I had already heard that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back