Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Please stay safe, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday evening I had the visit of door-to-door saleswoman...
Who thought it was a good idea to have someone in the middle of a lockdown visit everyone and spend more than 15 minutes talking to them? :-||
(Plus it was some more or less fraudulent approach)

Once it's obvious what they're selling and it's no use to you (which is pretty much obvious given they approached you, not the other way round) make your excuses and shut the door on them. If you're not polite to them sometimes they can cause you minor trouble, but you can usually do that in under 2 minutes if you're practised, and certainly not more than 15 minutes in any case. If you let someone talk for 15 minutes, the danger is you'll end up convinced you need whatever they're hawking to you.

Yesterday, my state's governor released a color-coded map of the state's one hundred counties by COVID-19 alert level. Significant yellow, substantial orange, and critical red.

Guess who's in one of the ten critical red counties? Shoot, maybe I'll have my dad drive to Lincoln County when we go out to eat tonight, they're only in the yellow.

Yeah, no rules on travel within North Carolina yet. We do have a ten person gathering limit for households right now though, through December 4th. Intended to target Thanksgiving, I believe.

Reminds me, since my stepsister and her two kids are visiting my stepmother for Thanksgiving, I won't be able to go to my dad's house that day, since the number of people there would already be ten. Fortunately we're working it out to where me and Dad are going to my older sister's house halfway across the state.

I've got an update to my earlier post. Not that anyone cares about my Thanksgiving plans, but it's slightly relevant to the spread of COVID-19.

My twin sister talked to my older sister earlier today, and she tells me that my older sister doesn't want me and Dad inside her house because of COVID-19. She says it sounds like we're going to meet somewhere in the middle instead, on a day that might not even be Thanksgiving. It's better than nothing, I guess.

The CDC just strongly recommended that Americans do not travel for Thanksgiving.

The recommendation was so strong that Americans almost cared.

Reactions: rSl
It'll be kinda weird when Biden gets into office, and we start having all the rules in place that we should've had for months.

I mean, it's kinda bad timing. What's he gonna protect us from, Valentine's Day? Really could've used some Biden a lot sooner.

Just talked to my older sister myself. Yeah, at this point it sounds like she doesn't even want to meet because of COVID-19. Kinda strange for someone who planned our beach vacation back in October. The trajectory of COVID-19 was steady then though, rising super fast now.

So now I'm back to not having a Thanksgiving, unless my dad really wants to test North Carolina's ten person limit.

I have heard of Thanksgiving, but I don't really know what it is. Can't you just have a videoconference with family that day and eat what each cooks for himself and talk together and curse the virus together or so ? It's no normal year anyway.

yeah we were going to meet up with my folks but with things as bad as they are, as well as state and CDC recommendations, we will prolly cancel... Canadian Thanksgiving didn't go over so well

Oh man, I kinda wanna have myself tested for COVID-19 after the restaurant I went to on Wednesday was kinda crowded.

Three days usually isn't long enough for COVID-19 to incubate though. I'd probably be a false negative even if I have it.

I guess I'll wait for the actual symptoms to appear.

Meh, this restaurant was one we hadn't been to yet. I warned my dad earlier in the week that Yelp reviews said they weren't following all the COVID-19 guidelines. When he came over on Wednesday though, he said he had driven by it, and that it didn't look that busy.

Well, when we went inside, we ended up being seated right next to an occupied table. No wall or anything in-between. My parents seemed fine with it though. I mean, they still go to work every weekday. My dad especially, he travels all over the state for his job. My stepmother works in a health department too, maybe not the safest place during COVID-19.

I think they worry more about my mental health than their physical health. They were really eager to take me out when the restaurants first opened back up in late May, even though I was skeptical. We've been to a bunch of places since then without trouble, but I am worried about this second wave.

Meh, it feels more like a second wave, since the first two waves happened in different parts of the US.

North Carolina didn't get much of the first wave. Got more of the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back