Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Please stay safe, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
@rSl You look different. Have you done something with your hair?

nope, just a bad hair day. :)

but she did
maxresdefault.jpg

when they represent a slavemaster/racist/facist etc., then it's a verry good move, imo.

I see people say this but how far would you go? Would you take George Washington off the $1? Tear down the Washington monument? Tear down the White House? He had Slaves.

I think a moderate approach is the way. Remember and memorialize people for their contributions to the Nation.

Sure if literally all they did were those things take them down...but some of this stuff...

On topic: The US wave 1.5 is kicking into high gear now. I say 1.5 because we didn't even stop the first wave so we aren't on the second.

i'm all fine with iconoclasm. nobody's perfect, so it's important not to latch onto someone else as the "hero". but we should in general hope to find role models in our current day and age, and not just ones from the past. i think part of the point of America was that we didn't need anybody in particular to tell us what to do (i.e., the king), so Washington might even be happy knowing we're moving on. of course, now our stubbornness has gone a bit far ("no one's gonna tell me i need to wear a mask!").

I think we, as societies, need to push past the "hero" paradigm. We've got this weird concept of having exceptional people who enacted change, who saved use in difficult times, who save the world in fictions, etc. whereas when you look at it, they rarely exist in a vacuum. They are often the tip of an iceberg of many people who've laid all the ground work for this.

I think there are dangers in both glorifying and demonising any people or groups. Everyone is different and more complex than a stereotype or anecdote. "Heroes" for aspiration can be good though (e.g. I wish I could play guitar as well as ...), but the assumption that if they are good at one thing doesn't imply they are good at everything else. Or, if there is one bad person in a group, that they all are bad...

Back on topic is one concern I have of scapegoating and demonising, like Trump's "the Chinese disease." Having someone spit in your face because you look asian (and are sensibly wearing a mask) is a result of such ignorant thinking.

North Carolina's trends have me worried that we may be in lockdown even longer than June.

One thing I've noticed though is that the number of new cases here follow a weekly cycle. Fridays and Saturdays tend to be the worst. Makes me think that the way cases are reported may be misleading. It's probably better to look at it week by week, instead of daily.

North Carolina's trends have me worried that we may be in lockdown even longer than June.

One thing I've noticed though is that the number of new cases here follow a weekly cycle. Fridays and Saturdays tend to be the worst. Makes me think that the way cases are reported may be misleading. It's probably better to look at it week by week, instead of daily.

TX is pretty hosed too

And Sweden

Same happened here. They reported not per day, but bundled results.
So if you look at the results per week it would be clear, but if you do it per day it would be confusing.

Where I live...protestors are ruining things. The Victorian Government were just about to ease more restrictions, but due to the big positive Covid-19 infection spikes, we're going backwards in regards to easing restrictions :(

Today's statement, below

received-677045636186213.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back