Corrupt Zip Files

fitzsteve

Hi,

I have been using your site for a couple of months now (since I got my GP32) :)

However, everything I download that you have recently added (last 3 or 4 news topics) they are corrupt and cannot be extracted.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

Steve.

Hmm... is this for ALL the zip files you get?
Or just some?

I've encountered this problems a few days ago - sometimes, downloading works like a charm, sometims, it doesn't... and that's for the same file.

Try a different browser or a few minutes later, and it works.
I have no idea what is causing this :(

However, most people only encountered this with GPCinema2.

What files were you trying to download?

EvilDragon posted on Dec 29 2004 at 09:39 PM said:
Hmm... is this for ALL the zip files you get?
Or just some?

I've encountered this problems a few days ago - sometimes, downloading works like a charm, sometims, it doesn't... and that's for the same file.

Try a different browser or a few minutes later, and it works.
I have no idea what is causing this :(

However, most people only encountered this with GPCinema2.

What files were you trying to download?
Why don't you refuse to admit your gpcine2.zip still is corrupted or zipped with Winzip 9 (I just retried it for the 974585 times :))?! :D

Simply rezip it with Winzip 8 or another but not with Winzip 9 that nobody has. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I downloaded Winzip 9 and all is ok now, I guess that winrar was not compatible with the compresion of winzip 9.

The files I had trouble with were:

Gp Cinema 2
Mata Marcianos 2001
Simpsons BOR MOd

all ok now tho with Winzip 9

Thanks for your speedy replies and thats for a great site GP32x :)

Steve.

I had the problem with those files, as well as the Dragons mod. I am using the Built in WinXP unzipping program, which works fine with everything else.

Seem`s like a battle of the compression software authors to me, And we`re stuck in the middle, Again. ;) Its catch-up time again folk`s. :rolleyes:

Trooper

For my zips I use
Code:
for i in *.zip; do advzip -t -4 "$i" || { unzip "$i" -d "$i".dir; rm "$i"; zip -9D "$i" "$i".dir/*; rm -r "$i".dir;};done
I´m starting to get this problem a lot from newsgroups.(To shave a little extra if I´m feeling flirty I use advcomp one of the tools again at advmame at sourceforge).

as for catching up I can´t wait to use 7z in the emulators. I know DrMd would benefit somewhat.

The Mac OSX unzip also doesn't work. People, please don't create ZIP files unless they actually adhere to the ZIP format. At least the "7Zip" project picked another name for their proprietary archive format. Saying "just get WinZip 9" doesn't do squat for people who aren't running Windows or who don't want WinZip (which is kind of a POS in any case).

Please don't use weird proprietary vendor specific archive formats and name them "ZIP". That's not how it's supposed to work.

I repeat: WINZIP 9 IS NOT ZIP

It should have an option for using 100% compatible zip. 7zip was able to eke a little more compression out of zip without making it uncompatible. But Majick is right. Of course, I don't think any of us are "compression authors", so here is not the place to say that.

What should be said is, people distritbuting things should distribute them in a
more multi-platform compatible format.

I use WinAce 2.5 and I can only open the files downloaded from the File Archive, not from the forum. It says that the file is corrupt (if I try to use the windows program it is the same).

aapje89 posted on Dec 30 2004 at 05:25 PM said:
its fixed now :D

Yeah, it looks like there's a problem with the compression tool I use (ZipGenius 6, Beta 5). I switched back to an old one and rezipped.
The author told me he didn't implement the new WinZip 9 algorithm, so it seems there's a bug somewhere...
I'll use the old version until it's fixed :)

I don't know if I rezipped all files - but if you encounter another bad file, just tell it and I'll rezip it :)

Last edited:
Back