Corrupt SMC

MilkyBar Kid

Still Fresh
In the initial hours of configuring my GP32 (Newbie trial & error phase) I somehow managed to corrupt one of my SMCs. It won't format on the GP32, digital camera or through my PC (using the camera as an SMC reader).

I even tried using Norton Disk Doctor on the card, which reported errors and claimed to correct them without having any effect on the card.

Any ideas? Is there some sort of low level format that I could try?

Pacrom has error-checking for SMCs built in, and of course there's the SMC recovery bit in PC-Link mode of the official firmware. But at a guess you've already tried those, and if its not formatting anywhere, then that might suggest its out of their depth whether you have or not.

Also, you mentioned using NDD to error-check it. If you're using a smart-card reader, and you unplug it without disconnecting it first (if you;re using Win 2K) it can get in a tiz about files smaller than say 15 megs, and the error-corrections might well be just that. You could try again on a different computer, or in a different USB socket (seems to sort the problem out) - but always remember to disconnect. Of course, this could just be a problem I've personally had with mine and that no-one else has ever experienced; up to you whether to play with the idea or not.

i had an error om my smc and it woould read it. then i went to the link part on the gp32 and it had a smc repair option and it fixed it. u might want to try that

Back