SMC reader problem

WhizzBang

Grotesque Peasant
Website
Visit site
I have noticed that several people have recommend using an SMC reader/writer instead of the GP32 to transfer files to the smart card but I have found that since I have formatted my cards using PC link, my SMC reader can no longer read my cards. Has anyone else had this problem?

My camera can still read and right to them just fine, so I have to use my GP32 to upload my digital camera jpegs to my PC now.

Can anyone suggest a way that I could format my cards again such that my SMC reader can be used on them?

It's probably a problem with card format :)
The GP GP use FAT 16 (or 16) whereas your camera use a different File System :(

This is the problem when people on the board tell/order other users to go out and buy a SMC reader ... not all of them are FAT16/FAT12 compatible! so you need to check what you are getting ... like what i didn't do and now i am stuck with a reader than only writes FAT32, and i don't even have a digital camera so it is useless! :(

anyway, this may not be your problem but just saying...

For more info on FAT 12 / 16 and what does and doesnt work check this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
This happened to me a lot (with 2 readers and 2 cards). Sometimes the cards would read for a while, then all of a sudden the readers would just stop recognising the card. Many ideas have been suggested for this, with the most likely one being static caused by removing/inserting the card.

I'm just waiting for firefly to add write support to his mass storage driver (turns the gp32 into a card reader).

Back