Corn N64 Emulator Mystery

Off topic: PSPMonkey at DCemu is currently working on a N64 emulator for the PSP. I think he is using Mupen as a base.

lol2232 posted on Feb 6 2006 at 11:14 PM said:
Just put the image and the roms in a folder named N64

So we already got that covered.

it's a little dusty...i think it needs more optimizations

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does everyone think we have to keep up with the PSP guys? They are in a completely different league. There system has a guaranteed clock speed much higher than the GP2X, plus FPU and 3D hardware. Let it go people, let it go.

I guess its because of all the teens who tend to be preaching PSP in your ear and its just nice to show what people CAN do with the gp2x just so you can slap em up a bit. PSP has all sorts of hardware nicieties, but people deving for the gp2x dont and in a way thats GOOD because it forces ingenuity and people reinvent the wheel a little to get away with stuff and you ultimatly end up with a faster, more refined wheel.

I like to think of it as PSP = brawn (power hardware) and GP2X = brain (forces people to use their skills to the maxium, no sympathy for being lazy if you are serious about doing something big) - and everyone knows brain can beat brawn every time.. right? xD

Its like the demo scene from the 80's. Some of the fastest polygon collision algorithms of all time were conceived by hobbiests in their bedrooms with very weak hardware (comparitivly) to work with. Most of them lost to the depths of time.

Squidge posted on Feb 7 2006 at 03:39 AM said:
Why does everyone think we have to keep up with the PSP guys? They are in a completely different league. There system has a guaranteed clock speed much higher than the GP2X, plus FPU and 3D hardware. Let it go people, let it go.

I don't care about PSP. I just want handheld OoT.

Squidge posted on Feb 7 2006 at 08:39 AM said:
I'll never admit defeat!

The author of Corn, ContraSF, sends word that he has decided to stop working on Corn because he has finished his experiment to test static recomp(more info below). The good news is that a friend of ContraSF's has decided to work on Corn. ContraSF says that his friend has already added lots and is now rewriting the core.

Hi, guys, I have some bad news and some good news about Corn.

Bad news:
I have found some games that can not be handled by static recompilation, e.g. Zelda64. This means, Corn experiment, whose goal was to test static rec, has finished since I've gotten the answer. Also, I realizes that now I have far less spare time than I had several months ago. So, I decided to stop (or at least pause) the development of Corn.

Good news:
Just when I tried to quit, one of my best friends, who wants to be anonymous, brought me a great surprise. Now, he becomes the major coder of Corn (well, he may give it another name later). He has already added lots of things which I am not allowed to say. However, don't expect a release soon since he is re-writting the core (the old static-rec core was discarded) and his standard of a release is much higher than mine.

Have a nice day!
-ContraSF

That's posted on that archived site... How come we've never heard of the other coder? And how come his version was never released?

Squidge posted on Feb 6 2006 at 09:39 PM said:
Who said anything about keeping up with the PSP? It was just a side note of interest, nothing more intended.

Back