Corecodec Adds Arm Neon Support

CoreAVC appears to be a closed-source, commercial product. At least, I wasn't able to find any links to or mention of source code in the 5 min I spent poking around their site. Not particularly useful to us unless they decide to make a Pandora version of their player.

CoreAVC wouldn't have much added value since the Pandora doesn't have high definition output. 480p h.264 playback should already work just fine.

Vitel said:
We have neon-accelerated mplayer, what else do you need?
Competition/choice, it's usually the best way for things to improve.
E.g. they may offer 720p 264 decoding. Even if closed source, but say a usable codec/plugin (however it works on linux) would be useful.
Coreavc usually have a free version of their codecs unless that's changed.
And yes I know that the screen resolution isn't 720p, for people who rather not convert their vids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corecodec went through various iterations; used to be TCPMP and before that was BetaPlayer if I recall right, by Picard of the Pocket PC / WinCE / WinMobile scene. I always thought they had some open source stuff in there so was worried hwen it suddenly went full on commercial, but I Think its all fully new code at that point (or always, I might have misrecalled.) Anyway, without a doubt TCPMP was one of the best and most efficient media players for mobiles when I used it, years ago. ie: That sucker could run any old divx on low end PDAs without eating up your whole battery. It was really fantastic on the Axim X51v (VGA screen on a handheld), and TCPMP to this day works great on Treo's and such.

So yeah, we likely won't get it for PAnda, but if we do .. woudl be a treat perhaps :)

jeff

skeezix said:
Corecodec went through various iterations; used to be TCPMP and before that was BetaPlayer if I recall right, by Picard of the Pocket PC / WinCE / WinMobile scene. I always thought they had some open source stuff in there so was worried hwen it suddenly went full on commercial, but I Think its all fully new code at that point (or always, I might have misrecalled.) Anyway, without a doubt TCPMP was one of the best and most efficient media players for mobiles when I used it, years ago. ie: That sucker could run any old divx on low end PDAs without eating up your whole battery. It was really fantastic on the Axim X51v (VGA screen on a handheld), and TCPMP to this day works great on Treo's and such.

So yeah, we likely won't get it for PAnda, but if we do .. woudl be a treat perhaps :)

jeff
+1 with X51v
It's also one of the fasted software decoders around on pc's so in that regard they know their stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used BetaPlayer and TCPMP quite a bit; it was a _huge_ shock to me when I came to PSP, iphone, etc, all these devices many years newer, that required transcoding. To this day it amazes me .. when devices coudl unapck a full divx on a few hundred mhz PDA full speed without transcode, yet we're transcodiung our asses off on every other device. The difference of course is simple ... even if the devices are fast enough or coudl be coded efficiently enough, the companies use hardware decoders to save huge on battery, at the expense of transcoding. I mean, you can watch videos all day on an iphone and not sweat the battery ... but I'd rather have the option to run untranscoded video and save the 15 hours of preprocessing needed :p

I *hate* transcoding; what total bs ;)

jeff

x51v was helped with its gpu (one of the few pda's with one)
I was always amazed at a mate who had to transcode the vids for his psp. I hate transcoding and anything that I have to transcode would not get watched on the move, I don't really care how easy or long it takes. Yes it may limit my choice but for me that's just the way it is.

@mali - did x50 have gpu? (can't remember) x51v did for sure

Back