Coopertive Multiplayer Console Games

Valeos

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
As my wife and I enjoy playing coopertive multiplayer console games, I figured I would pose the following queries:

Which consoles have the most coopertive multiplayer games written for them? (retro and modern consoles are fine)...and what are these games?

Timesplitters 2 (GC, Xbox, PS2), Zombies ate my neighbours (snes), Smash TV (snes), and Half life (try a mod called Sven Co-op)

Halo(XBOX), Obscure(XBOX), TimeSplitters2(XBOX GCN PS2), SecretOfMana(SNES), SecretOfEvermore(SNES, but can't find 2P-Rom), TheFiremen(SNES, can't find 2P-Rom too), Zelda4Swords(GBA - you need 2 of them IIRC), RainbowSix3(PS2 - XBOX hasn't got Splitscreen-Coop).

That's all the good games I can think of now. - And as you see, most of them are for XBOX - and that's why I prefer this MS-Product over the PS2 or GCN.
If you have got like 2 XBOXes or XBOXlive, then you can play about 20% of all games in Coop. With only one box it is like 10%.

In the future, Doom3 and Halo2 will be the next great deal concerning Coop-Games - and both are on Xbox.

Contra/Super Probotector for the SNES as well as Secret of Mana for the same system.

Halo is indeed superb multiplayer fun but Golden Eye on the N64 set the standard!! I enjoyed many a game that with my brother and my mates. Shame my brother used to wipe the floor with us all. Oh well. Perfect Dark was also good but I prefered Golden Eye myself.

Legend of Mana for the PSX is sooo much fun multiplayer.

Double Dragon 1-3 for the NES are all excellent co-op games, along with any other final fight-type game.

Also, it's a little known fact that you can play FF6 (FF3 in US) in two-player mode: You can assign different characters to the 2nd controller in battle, but the 1st player still has control out of battle.

But if you want the best cooperative game, it's a MMORPG by far. Those give the most rewards for being cooperative and (usually) have the least frustration factor. So I guess if you want to stay console, then FFXI is where it's at, but I would suggest PC over console for MMORPGs.

Edit: Oh and for some reason, I really like Megaman Soccer.

Edit 2: Oh, and Mario Kart Double Dash in cooperative mode (where one person is the driver and one person is the item user) is a LOT of fun.

dr.no posted on Jul 5 2004 at 03:42 PM said:
SecretOfEvermore(SNES, but can't find 2P-Rom)
SOE always was a singleplayer game (which is a shame, really) and I have never seen a 2P ROM. And if there is one, you still could not play it on the console (without further hardware, that is).

I recommend the Gamecube. The best Coop Games in my Opinion are:
Baldur's Gate
Gauntlet - Dark Legacy
Serious Sam - The next Encounter
Mario Kart Double Dash
Star Wars: Rogue Leader
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Time Splitters 2 (we had so much freaking fun with this game....)
Final Fantasy - Chrystal Chronicles (but this one has the damn connectivity - read: You can only play it coop with two GBAs, one for each person)

Also, out of Coop, the Gamecube has several other great titles: Skies of Arcardia Legends (THE RPG for Dreamcast), Soul Calibur 2, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back