Coopertive Multiplayer Console Games

Valeos

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
As my wife and I enjoy playing coopertive multiplayer console games, I figured I would pose the following queries:

Which consoles have the most coopertive multiplayer games written for them? (retro and modern consoles are fine)...and what are these games?

mr twit

A can of spam!
Website
www.mmmpie.co.uk
Timesplitters 2 (GC, Xbox, PS2), Zombies ate my neighbours (snes), Smash TV (snes), and Half life (try a mod called Sven Co-op)

dr.no

It is gigantic.
Website
Visit site
Halo(XBOX), Obscure(XBOX), TimeSplitters2(XBOX GCN PS2), SecretOfMana(SNES), SecretOfEvermore(SNES, but can't find 2P-Rom), TheFiremen(SNES, can't find 2P-Rom too), Zelda4Swords(GBA - you need 2 of them IIRC), RainbowSix3(PS2 - XBOX hasn't got Splitscreen-Coop).

That's all the good games I can think of now. - And as you see, most of them are for XBOX - and that's why I prefer this MS-Product over the PS2 or GCN.
If you have got like 2 XBOXes or XBOXlive, then you can play about 20% of all games in Coop. With only one box it is like 10%.

In the future, Doom3 and Halo2 will be the next great deal concerning Coop-Games - and both are on Xbox.

pip

Contra/Super Probotector for the SNES as well as Secret of Mana for the same system.

Memnoch

Website
Visit site
Halo is indeed superb multiplayer fun but Golden Eye on the N64 set the standard!! I enjoyed many a game that with my brother and my mates. Shame my brother used to wipe the floor with us all. Oh well. Perfect Dark was also good but I prefered Golden Eye myself.

generalnmx

Playful/Fascist Mod
Website
www.matts-hosting.com
Legend of Mana for the PSX is sooo much fun multiplayer.

Double Dragon 1-3 for the NES are all excellent co-op games, along with any other final fight-type game.

Also, it's a little known fact that you can play FF6 (FF3 in US) in two-player mode: You can assign different characters to the 2nd controller in battle, but the 1st player still has control out of battle.

But if you want the best cooperative game, it's a MMORPG by far. Those give the most rewards for being cooperative and (usually) have the least frustration factor. So I guess if you want to stay console, then FFXI is where it's at, but I would suggest PC over console for MMORPGs.

Edit: Oh and for some reason, I really like Megaman Soccer.

Edit 2: Oh, and Mario Kart Double Dash in cooperative mode (where one person is the driver and one person is the item user) is a LOT of fun.

Mosch

Reeks of fish
Website
Visit site
dr.no posted on Jul 5 2004 at 03:42 PM said:
SecretOfEvermore(SNES, but can't find 2P-Rom)
SOE always was a singleplayer game (which is a shame, really) and I have never seen a 2P ROM. And if there is one, you still could not play it on the console (without further hardware, that is).

I recommend the Gamecube. The best Coop Games in my Opinion are:
Baldur's Gate
Gauntlet - Dark Legacy
Serious Sam - The next Encounter
Mario Kart Double Dash
Star Wars: Rogue Leader
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Time Splitters 2 (we had so much freaking fun with this game....)
Final Fantasy - Chrystal Chronicles (but this one has the damn connectivity - read: You can only play it coop with two GBAs, one for each person)

Also, out of Coop, the Gamecube has several other great titles: Skies of Arcardia Legends (THE RPG for Dreamcast), Soul Calibur 2, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime....

Last edited by a moderator: