Continental Circus

Iorgy77

emu parasite kid
Website
Visit site
Continental Circus is a conversion of the taito racing coin op "Continental Circuit". Apparently a typo was made during porting this arcade classic to one of the many systems it was released for and the wrong name just stuck. Maybe someone has more details about the name mistake

In continental Circus you race the latest (latest in 1987 :D) formula one car around 8 circuits around the world including brazil, Spain, Mexico, France, Monaco, Germany, America and Japan. The races get progressively harder as not only do you have to complete a race within the time limit you also have to place at certain level to progress in the game.

A standard arcade 2-speed gearbox is fitted to the car, which has the worst acceleration for a formula one car. Touching any competitors car hard enough will cause your car to start smoking signaling its time to enter the pit, bumping them twice will cause your car to explode into a fireball. Not to worry though 3 pits are available on most circuits ( 3 pits???) at different parts of the track.

Overall I have always enjoyed playing this game since the Amiga days and would recommend it to any GP32 castaway users. I have tested it on both versions of Castaway/GP 13.2 (sampled sound and fast ver) and I must say this game runs great... speed is excellent sound is good and most importantly the colors look great on my FLU.

Available on Automation disk 288
Also converted to Amiga, c64 and amstrad afaik

HEALTH WARNING: GAME MAY MAKE YOU WANT TO SMOKE moron CIGARETTES FOR SOME REASON

Arcade screenshot 1

Arcade screenshot 2

To my recollection the Arcade game was also called Continental Circus - or at least is was here in the UK, apparently the mistake was made during the initial translation from Japanese, so made its way onto all English Translations of the game...

This could of course be urban myth, like how Donkey Kong got his name.

Cool... I knew there was some backstory of the name but to be honest I had never seen the arcade version.

MSX version too? anybody tried this on fMSX?

Had it on the C64. Was quite a good game back then.

Formula 1 is often referred to as a circus. I just thought it was a reference to that.

Back