Considering selling does that make me bad?

if you want a touchscreen completely open linux OS look at Meego.

however i think once mini menu is better pandora will be a beast. Benefits of a touch OS but when programs launchyou have the technical functionality of x86

Not really, you can install it on unapproved devices.
Which is a real pain to do, you can't expect everyone to go through this. It might be not possible at all on pandora, unless you have another Android device already.

Android vs Angstrom

+better powersaving and suspend support (android phone with 4000 mah battery can last several weeks in instant-on standby)
This has very little to do with Android itself, it's all about the system support code/drivers.

+larger support community and pool of app developers and kernel & OS developers
Somehow doubt that, especially for kernel. Can you show some examples of devices running custom/community supported kernels?

+more user friendly multi-platform SDK with built in emulator and debugging bridge for device
This may help beginners, but when you try to do real work, it becomes painful and just gets in your way.

+entire OS and core apps and processes are designed with mobile computing in mind (less loops, and optimized to use as little cpu time as possible to save battery)
It my experience it's not, UI heavily relies on GPU acceleration, which in the end leads to more power used because you have to keep it on to do anything. If acceleration is off/missing, everything becomes dog slow, their software implementation sucks.

+easily debug os and apps issues with adb (android debugging bridge) over usb and access terminal shell
Still a lot less functional compared to simple ssh+gdb combo on Linux.

Last edited by a moderator:
I share a similar view to Thatgui.

I need to now where my files are and also manipulate them the way I want.

I hate things like MY DOCUMENTS on windows or an OS trying to push how you deal your stuff.

I guess for phones and tablets we are stuck with android unfortunantly.

The Google market may be a pain but can be scripted out and package it in a self installing update package like the community codec pack ... almost exactly like that now that I think about itThe other ones like amazon, getjar, slideme are just self installing apps

+larger support community and pool of app developers and kernel & OS developers
Somehow doubt that, especially for kernel. Can you show some examples of devices running custom/community supported kernels?
I can pull up plenty if you want more examples, but what I personally run on my xperia play

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1176502

It my experience it's not, UI heavily relies on GPU acceleration, which in the end leads to more power used because you have to keep it on to do anything. If acceleration is off/missing, everything becomes dog slow, their software implementation sucks.
you would probably know more about that than me, if you have the time watch/listen this though.. very interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ptjedOZEXPM?feature=oembed
adb is pretty easy and useful, similar to ssh, you can also adb over wireless or even wwan and stuff if you know what you're doing.

but you can ssh and gdb on android as well

http://wiki.cyanogen...Device_with_SSH

http://www.kandroid....ugging_gdb.html

I'm not really a big time programmer, small potatoes scripter really, so I find the android tools useful for a complete noob/beginner/notive. I can tell you however I was able to pick up programming on android a hell of a lot faster than I was able to pick up cross compiling on the pandora... a lot of the experience I learned from android I was able to help out on learning with the pandora... but agian, I'm not big time like a lot around here are =P

I can tell you however I was able to pick up programming on android a hell of a lot faster than I was able to pick up cross compiling on the pandora... a lot of the experience I learned from android I was able to help out on learning with the pandora... but agian, I'm not big time like a lot around here are =P

I don't know what kind of stuff you were doing, but the C/C++ dev tools (includes GCC, make, etc) is perfectly fine for most C and C++ stuff (that's what I used to compile Project: Starfighter). Python is even easier: just run the script. No need to even use any special tools. And everything else, that is the actual programming, is exactly the same as on the PC. The only difficult learning curve for me was packaging everything into a PND, since there's not a whole lot of documentation on that.

Well like I said I'm small potatoes.. I did try my hand and compiling a scons/python emulator (fceux sdl) and I've ran into a lot of issues, haven't even gotten it to completely compile correctly, not to mention packing up the pnd.

But that is besides the point the sdk, ndk and no-talent required app builder are just stupid easy to use if you can install a program in windows and follow directions from YouTube videos. I had some graphical menu driven apps up and running on my device in a matter of min.

Still don't understand gcc but I'm still reading how to use it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Back