Things That Bug Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSXM

Still Fresh
There are a lot of things that bugs me:

Let's start with the "hot" stuff and continue from there:
1) How can suddenly RAM size be increased with no production delay and cost (and still some other things are delaying the production)? I thought that the circuit board design and the components to be attached to it were already finished and ordered.
2) How is it possible that the LCD supply had not been investigated in beforehad and every else component are availabe (like the new RAM chip)?
3) Case is still being prototyped?!! Selling out a handheld gaming device that doesn't even have it's case design finished is dramastically peculiar..
4) EvilDragon doesn't have MK2 board and he's a developer of the product??
5) The Pandora was originally supposed to be finished at august (if I remember correctly) and is still being delayed more and more for always new different reasons
6) Why there is such a rush at getting all the money to the bank accounts? (the PayPal stuff and all) After all I was in an impression that the developers had all the funds arranged and no debts.
7) How is it possible to increase the production from 3k to 4k even if not knowing of the LCD supply, not having the case ready or practically (suspectedly) not knowing that every other component, including the processor, can be supplied in time and in volume?
8) Why haven't I seen any video with the circuit board with all the components fully assembled together? Could someone of the developers post a video showing all the stuff at once? This far the videos have shown the screen (which could practically be displaying stuff running from any device) and the cb next to it. Controls have been done from elsewhere of the screen. Show me the complete setup how you're running the Pandora.
9) How is the assebling going to be done and where if the case design is not finished and production is ongoing?

I've seen other oddities in this project also but am not going to list them here and neither starting a discussion about them.

Everyone, please, comment on me about these, especially the developers!

I'd also like to see the blog to be updated a lot more frequently. I was astonished when I two days ago looked at the forums and someone spoke something about too lille LCD supply and I had to go through a few posts untill I found out what was going on. I want to see this stuff in the blog. Well, I'll also be looking at the forums more often now. I surely wish that the Pandora is a real device that I'll be owning one day, I've bought it in the pre-order after all. But I'm also sceptical (major reasons listed above). Hopefully everything turns up fine.

-CSXM

@ "CSXM":

Not only have all your "questions" been answered numerous times over, your posing demands on the developers is both ridiculous and trolliferic.

Bottom line: Either take it as it comes or ask your money back, but quit bitching.

The Pandora is not the PSP, it is not made by Nintendo, hundreds of people and millions of dollars have not gone into the project. It is community based. Things will be different. You're going to have to deal with it.

CSXM said:

1) How can suddenly RAM size be increased with no production delay and cost (and still some other things are delaying the production)? I thought that the circuit board design and the components to be attached to it were already finished and ordered.
2) How is it possible that the LCD supply had not been investigated in beforehad and every else component are availabe (like the new RAM chip)?
3) Case is still being prototyped?!! Selling out a handheld gaming device that doesn't even have it's case design finished is dramastically peculiar..
5) The Pandora was originally supposed to be finished at august (if I remember correctly) and is still being delayed more and more for always new different reasons
6) Why there is such a rush at getting all the money to the bank accounts? (the PayPal stuff and all) After all I was in an impression that the developers had all the funds arranged and no debts.
7) How is it possible to increase the production from 3k to 4k even if not knowing of the LCD supply, not having the case ready or practically (suspectedly) not knowing that every other component, including the processor, can be supplied in time and in volume?
8) Why haven't I seen any video with the circuit board with all the components fully assembled together? Could someone of the developers post a video showing all the stuff at once? This far the videos have shown the screen (which could practically be displaying stuff running from any device) and the cb next to it. Controls have been done from elsewhere of the screen. Show me the complete setup how you're running the Pandora.
9) How is the assebling going to be done and where if the case design is not finished and production is ongoing?

I've seen other oddities in this project also but am not going to list them here and neither starting a discussion about them.

Everyone, please, comment on me about these, especially the developers!

I'd also like to see the blog to be updated a lot more frequently. I was astonished when I two days ago looked at the forums and someone spoke something about too lille LCD supply and I had to go through a few posts untill I found out what was going on. I want to see this stuff in the blog. Well, I'll also be looking at the forums more often now. I surely wish that the Pandora is a real device that I'll be owning one day, I've bought it in the pre-order after all. But I'm also sceptical (major reasons listed above). Hopefully everything turns up fine.

-CSXM
Maybe you would like some more cheese with your whine? :lol:

Seriously, the Pandora team is hard at work on the project trying to get it out before years end for all of us. They aren't intentionally "toying" with us if that is what your post is implying which seems the case. Just relax, step away from the keyboard please, and go outside for some air and sunlight and exercise more than your digits.
The end of 2008 will happen. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Really now. Then don't order one. You people cry about delays and then help create more by asking them to spend even more time NOT developing the Pandora. Great Logic there.

1.) It's PoP Packaging. Google it.
2.) Because Pandora is not made by a major company so Manufacturers are more likely to dump such delays on them their bigger customers. It's not just small companies that this kind of problem; Large ones do too. It's not unusual.
3.) Don't know where you heard this. AFAIK, the case DESIGN is done. The actual case won't be seen until production because the only reasonable way to get a prototype is to have it machined and even that isn't the same as process by which the Pandora case will be made for production runs.
4.) Again, small operation, this isn't Nokia or Nintendo. Get over it.
5.) Same as 4. Don't like it, cancel your pre-order and let someone else get in on the fun.
6.) Yah, the next time you find $1.3 Million just lying around, please do tell me, so we can get another Pandora batch.
7.) Because none of those things you questioned are definite and this problem would have existed either way. 3000 or 4000 doesn't matter much to manufacturers since it is an extremely small order. They can easily make up the difference.
8.) Because, get over it.
9.) You know you make a lot of assumptions for a person with no sources/references and then just run on them.

Honestly, most of your questions are far out speculation. Quit riling up people. Speculation, especially negative speculation such as yours is bad for companies, small or large. Either you're A.) trying to hurt the operation or B.) blabbering out of your mind and need to shut up.

PS: The search button would have answered all sensible questions

Edit: PS 2: Mod might want to close this topic. It is utter flame bait with Bonnie, above, and Clyde right below this post.

i agree with most of what was written at the top, except the device was actually supposed to be ready by april this year not august. ha!

i've kept my mouth shut so far (for the most part) but it's just becoming ridiculous now. the lack of updates are the most worrying. craigix may be busy but seriously, how long does it take to update a blog... 15 minutes at MOST if he drops the fucking salesman talk and just tells it like it is.

thankfully a few others on this board have dealt with craigix before and THEY are the ones that have convinced me this is not going to turn into expensive vaporware. it should be HIM doing this, by means of regular updates, video's, and explanations. im fairly sure theyve known for months it wont be ready to ship by november, they still havent even made room to the put the stylus in the case ffs. the whole operation thus far is a massive, massive shambles - which is a shame.

if i have pandora in my hands before february i will be VERY surprised.
thats all i have to say about it, im not going to start trolling in every thread.

CSXM said:

[omissis]

-CSXM

Unless you're a personal friend of one of this developers (so you may call them and ask by cellphone) we cannot pop into a forum somewhere in the internet, drop hundreds of euros in an unfinished project (declared that way) and pretend to have the same services we have at McDonalds if your bigMac misses the ketchup.
I'm anxious like you as well, it's normal that we feel our money (and dream) at stake as times goes by... but even if the project fails completely it has been our decision to pay for a non-ready, non-yet-started item.
Just join the club of us finger-crossing dudes.

P.

Karel Jansens said:
@ "CSXM":

Not only have all your "questions" been answered numerous times over, your posing demands on the developers is both ridiculous and trolliferic.

Bottom line: Either take it as it comes or ask your money back, but quit bitching.
Show me the (numerous) answers and I'll be happy. I haven't really found any decent ones in the forums.
And only demand in my post is to show a video of it all working together visually. Too much and ridiculous? I don't think that I'm bitching. I know I'll get my money back if I want, but nah, I'll wait what happens. I just want some clarities to these issues, not a big thing to ask?

gibberish said:
the lack of updates are the most worrying. craigix may be busy but seriously, how long does it take to update a blog... 15 minutes at MOST
There have been TONS of updates. Think about it. How many development updates did we get from the Wiz? Or the DSi? Or the PSP-3000?

CSXM said:
Karel Jansens said:
@ "CSXM":

Show me the (numerous) answers and I'll be happy. I haven't really found any decent ones in the forums.
And only demand in my post is to show a video of it all working together visually. Too much and ridiculous? I don't think that I'm bitching. I know I'll get my money back if I want, but nah, I'll wait what happens. I just want some clarities to these issues, not a big thing to ask?

No answers. You've put your money at stake on purpose, in order to put your hands on an unique geeky product.
To schematize everything, you knew it.

the ram is attached to the omap chip which was available with more ram from the start, but is more affordable now

I have known gbax for 6 or so years .... from back in the days we were looking at GBA development kits (before moving onto the GP range) ... not once in all that time has there ever been an issue. their service has always been WELL above the rest ...

So I'm sorry but I am sick and tired of snot nosed little kids, who have put their whole paper-run money into this device bitching, moaning, whining and generally questioning Craig's reputation ... STFU and get a refund !!!

So yeah thats what bugs me !!

CSXM said:
8) Why haven't I seen any video with the circuit board with all the components fully assembled together? [...]
These are undoubtedly related. The boards were ordered. But they were obviously not fully populated yet.

[...] Show me the complete setup how you're running the Pandora.

You realize that the keyboard and buttons haven't even been prototyped, yet?

7) How is it possible to increase the production from 3k to 4k even if not knowing of the LCD supply,[...]
Suppliers lie through their teeth. Worse, when there's a shortage the small companies get the shaft. The LCD manufacturer can't afford to piss off Nokia. But who cares about pissing off some small-timer working out of a garage in England?

They'll finish the design then assemble it.

I agree that this seems a bit close. But I'll also note that when the small company I work for had have a plastic case fabricated we cut it even closer and everything worked out fine.
Just lean back and relax. We're talking about a toy here. No one is asking you to sign away your house, or turn over the registration on your car.

Relax. Think about something else for the next two months. When it finally shows up it'll be a pleasant surprise.

I didn't mean to start a war!!

I just made a statement that I have some thing that bugs me. I didn't suspect that people would start shouting at me to cancel my order and shut up. I believe that there are other concerned also. I know that it's not easy to make a product like this suddenly, but I don't want to be "bullied" about being suspicious if I have the need to be and want some clarifications about those issues. Sorry if I'm stepping into someone's toes.

Really, if you know the reasons for those stuff, please, tell me.

CSXM said:
I didn't mean to start a war!!

I just made a statement that I have some thing that bugs me. I didn't suspect that people would start shouting at me to cancel my order and shut up. I believe that there are other concerned also. I know that it's not easy to make a product like this suddenly, but I don't want to be "bullied" about being suspicious if I have the need to be and want some clarifications about those issues. Sorry if I'm stepping into someone's toes.

Really, if you know the reasons for those stuff, please, tell me.
I'm not bullying you - You asked what bugged me - I told you. So wait like the rest of us, or get a refund its not rocket science

Calling me a snot nosed kid.. I may not know as much of the project as you migh but it doesn't give you the right to call me that. That also downgrading withought knowing the person, but hey, that's how internet works. You know nothing about me, I know nothing about you. I have the right to question things, eh? But seems, I don't have that right here.

If the Pandora is true, as I 99,9% believe, it will be the most excellent thing ever for me. Mind me if I have trouble believing it to be true, considering all the ..

Is there an IRC channel related to Pandora? I'd love to discuss these things online. I almost never use IRC, but this is a thing to discuss "live".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back