Considering A Gp2x

g4m3r

Hello,

I have been keeping an eye on the GP2X, and I would love to buy one, but I need to know a few things to know if I should (or should not) get one. First off, I love emulation and I want a great console to emulate mainly NES, SNES, Genesis, and MAME. I hear it is great for emulation, but there are a few quirks that I am worried about.

The first thing that I am weary about is controlling the games. How difficult is it to play games that needs precise movement, and is it hard to use a joystick rather than a D-Pad? This is extremely important to me that I can actually play games on my console.

The second thing I am wondering about is the systems stability. Such as the firmware and how easily it can be bricked. Is the updating process still dangerous, or is that better now? Also how good is the current firmware

The third thing is the build quality of the GP2X. Is it sturdy, or will it break quite easily? Also, is it difficult to apply the screen protector?

The final question I have is how user-friendly it is. I am fairly decent at technical things. How difficult is it to put programs and files on it? How much technical knowledge is necessary?

Thanks.

g4m3r posted on May 17 2006 at 08:06 PM said:
Hello,

The first thing that I am weary about is controlling the games. How difficult is it to play games that needs precise movement, and is it hard to use a joystick rather than a D-Pad? This is extremely important to me that I can actually play games on my console.

The second thing I am wondering about is the systems stability. Such as the firmware and how easily it can be bricked. Is the updating process still dangerous, or is that better now? Also how good is the current firmware

The third thing is the build quality of the GP2X. Is it sturdy, or will it break quite easily? Also, is it difficult to apply the screen protector?

The final question I have is how user-friendly it is. I am fairly decent at technical things. How difficult is it to put programs and files on it? How much technical knowledge is necessary?

Thanks.

SNES I hear is getting better, DrMD is there right now for 98% of the Genesis Games.

Get a Second Edition, the stick is rotated on the board 45 degrees, I can't believe they even did that much, GPH seems to have a sado-masochistic way of making hardware.

The stick is a digital 8-way pad, it is OK rotated, if you need better the only way is with Radek's D-Pad swap.

The Caps for the stick from Gbax.co.uk are a MUST, ask your distributor specifically if it comes with the new cap.

My First and "Next" editions were very sturdy, I didn't do the Gameboy drop-kick it into a brick wall and dust it off to keep playing, but it was plenty sturdy, the case felt solid and deceptively light (lotsa empty space inside the case, but still slimmer than a DS except for the battery bulge).

I found it to be about as user-friendly as any emulator I have ever used on a PC.

All the apps and emus worked fine for me, just follow the instructions in the readme to the letter (and beware of the old Linux uppercase and lowercase are different rule :)), and you will be just fine, the instructions are well worth it for the games and apps.

I heard the Second edition came with a pre-installed screen protector, that should cover everything.

I would buy another yesterday if I had the means, but I sadly do not.

I forgot about the Firmware, The 2.0 Firmware "uboot" is pretty much brick-proof, and the included programs and Vektar demo are sweet, I also believe that the USB slave is better and there is full support for USB sticks and USB Hard drives on the EXT port, the EXT shows up as an option beside the SD and NAND in the select menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with everything nubie said... here's what I have to add...

The only really bad thing of all the things you listed is the joystick. A D-pad would have been WAY better on this thing, but I've made peace with using the stick, and you still have pretty good control with it.

I was worried about bricking when upgrading the firmware as well, but as long as you have a good power supply (brand new batteries, or plug your GP2X into the wall) there's really nothing to worry about. :)

The GP2X is very sturdy, though to keep it safe, I'd recommend getting a case for it. Cases designed to hold a Nintendo DS (NOT a DS Lite) will hold your GP2X perfectly (thank TelcoLou for this tip).

Also, the machine is very user-friendly. You shouldn't have any trouble getting stuff to run on it, and even if you do, just make a thread in the "I need help" forum, and the people here would be more than happy to assist you. ;)

TyBO! posted on May 17 2006 at 08:44 PM said:
I agree with everything nubie said... here's what I have to add...

The only really bad thing of all the things you listed is the joystick. A D-pad would have been WAY better on this thing, but I've made peace with using the stick, and you still have pretty good control with it.

I was worried about bricking when upgrading the firmware as well, but as long as you have a good power supply (brand new batteries, or plug your GP2X into the wall) there's really nothing to worry about. :)

The GP2X is very sturdy, though to keep it safe, I'd recommend getting a case for it. Cases designed to hold a Nintendo DS (NOT a DS Lite) will hold your GP2X perfectly (thank TelcoLou for this tip).

Also, the machine is very user-friendly. You shouldn't have any trouble getting stuff to run on it, and even if you do, just make a thread in the "I need help" forum, and the people here would be more than happy to assist you. ;)

Yes, the Second edition *out soon* has a rotated stick, easier to use.

The Auto-bricking is gone. (when there is no firmware on the card and you aren't trying to upgrade it, and it tries and fails anyway)

i'm in the same position - just finding out last bits of info before i put in my order (as long as they've finally got stock of MK2). Can I just confirm a few things tho:

- does the MK2 definately come fitted with screen protector?

- is the GP official carry case any good or should I go with the above suggestion and get a DS case?

- so the replacement cap is for the joystick, not the pad? the gp2x.co.uk store says their mk2 unit is shipped with new cap.

I don't know if the MK2 comes with a fitted screen protector (it may do), but I think it's a pretty simple process to put it on.
I use a pencil case (soft) to carry mine around, it's not brilliant, but it's cheaper than any carry case.
I haven't got a replacement cap, and I haven't had any trouble, but I guess most people do.

DTH posted on May 18 2006 at 05:25 PM said:
btw is it hard to put the screen on the unit?

Not really, it's peel & stick. It may be tricky to do it without a few dust specs getting underneath though.

Hmm... I think the Second Edition vs. Mk. II thing needs a little clarity.

There were (will be) four revisions to the GP2X.

1. First Edition Mk. I
2. First Edition Mk. I Rev. B (resistor that caused screen flicker replaced)
3. Second Editon Mk. I (battery and power lights are covered over with white, 'First Edition' text removed from console)
4. Mk. II (rotated joystick, new LCD)

Someone please correct me if I got anything wrong, I try not to, but sometimes it happens.

the wiki's changes don't say anything about the new screen being non-interlaced.

can anyone confirm/deny that the MK2 has a new cap on the base unit?

Back