Considering a Chromebook - don't laugh too hard.

Grench

Forum Addict!
Situation: Hundreds of $ tied up in Google's Android Apps ecosystem - mostly in Pinball tables. I also have to have a portable to remote administer work hardware using Cisco apps.

My main Android machine is a Samsung Galaxy Note 12.2 tablet. Great hardware. Love it. I have a bluetooth wireless keyboard & mouse that have turned it into a laptop equivalent. It has 4GLTE as well. But, it is forever dead ended on Android 5.1. The Cisco remote software that I have to use has decided that Android 5.1 is obsolete and will never work on it again.

Yes, I also have a Gemini. I have used it a bit for work, but frankly that screen is WAY too small for extended work needs.

I do not see the Pyra ever being able to fulfill this role - and that is OK. It wasn't meant to.

So, I looked up the current generation of Android tablets - nothing that even remotely compares to the hardware I already have in my Note 12.2. There is no current Android equivalent.

That brings me to Chromebooks. The recent batch of Chromebooks are supposed to run Google Apps. Much like my Galaxy Note 12.2, a few of them have nice high resolution screens and a stylus and even microSD slots.

I see three options.
Google Pixelbook - no microSD built in means not an option.

HP X2 - love the detachable magnetic screen mounting system & tablet converting. microSD present. Only 32GB of onboard eMMC is a fairly serious fail in 2018. Stylus is a $99 option - that has no place to live. Rumor has it that multiple versions are on the way with up to 512 GB on-board (and $1700 price tags).

Samsung Chromebook Pro 64GB version - microSD present - 64GB onboard eMMC - Samsung S-pen - marked down $100 due to a new version with identical specs plus a back-lit keyboard on the way. Last year's N3060 processor.

If I had infinite time to wait, there are neat things on the horizon. Unfortunately, time is not infinite on the decision.

So, I'm leaning toward the Samsung Chromebook Pro 64GB. Does anyone have better suggestions?
[doublepost=1532466710,1532465600][/doublepost]And then I found this sale on the HP X2 for $519...
Code:
https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-chromebook-x2-12-f015nr?source=aw&subacctid=264419&subacctname=FlexOffers.com%2C+LLC&awc=7168_1532466470_beba663c7e62b5de2212fad82b21f815&jumpid=af_gen_nc_ns&utm_medium=af&utm_source=aw&utm_campaign=FlexOffers.com%2C+LLC

Compared to the Samsung Chromebook Pro at $479 from Best Buy...
Code:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-chromebook-pro-2-in-1-12-3-touch-screen-chromebook-intel-core-m3-4gb-memory-64gb-emmc-flash-memory-metallic-black/6111507.p?skuId=6111507

I'm now leaning toward the X2. Having a true tablet mode is a plus. Backlit keyboard is a double plus. A CPU that is 3.5 times faster is a triple plus. 32GB of storage is a negative. microSDXC expansion is a plus.

Hmm...

I have a personal dislike for HP, but that's just my bias.

I see three options.
Google Pixelbook - no microSD built in means not an option.
Doesn't that make 2 options?

Anyways, seems like you're in one of the rare situations that a chromebook would be useful. I've been using an ASUS laptop for the last year and the thing just never ceases to amaze me. And I've heard that ASUS also makes chromebooks, so I think you should definitely have a look at those.

What's wrong with your Gemini?

Gemini is perfectly adequate for a quick remote-into-office and see, "Is it running?" check. Small screen, cramped keyboard and on-screen mouse combine to make taking over a desktop workstation possible, but not exactly efficient. I need something that I can sit down and do 4-8 hours of remote desktop takeover work from ---> Not quite the middle of nowhere but you can see it from here <---. Gemeni is great for an ultra-mobile might do some critical short job/work in a pinch if I have to.

I've also considered getting a battery operated HDMI monitor to plug into my Gemini then use my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with it. My Gemini doesn't seem to like maintaining Bluetooth connections - or even connecting to some devices (ODBCII dongle is no luck). So, Gemini, HDMI cable, battery powered LCD monitor on a kickstand, bt keyboard, bt mouse, two charging cables... That winds up being a fairly complex setup for a 15 minute meeting in a random conference room.

The flip side of this is that I like to play Android games that play -so- much better on a high resolution 12" screen. Talisman, Pinball Arcade, Baldur's Gate series, Catan, etc... I'm spoiled.

Ah. I misunderstood. I thought you were doing quick little fixes remotely. I have to say I wouldn't want to use a Chromebook for hours worth of work. I would go for something with a proper keyboard and mouse/trackball and decent monitor. By that point you might as well have a workstation or whatever. I was thinking this was so you could take a quick look while you were out at dinner or something.

Admit it, you want another toy, maybe mainly so you can play your Android games. ;)

I used one for about a year when my travel PC crashed and I had no bucks to replace it. I picked a Samsung Chromebook 3 (Celeron N3050 1.6 GHz, 2.0 GB RAM, 16.0 GB eMMC Solid State Drive, 11.6-Inch Screen) for 75.00 US Dollars on sale and I was really pleased. That was when Android Apps were just becoming usable on Chromebooks, so I had access to the full Microsoft Office app set and it worked fantastically.

When I finally was able to replace my travel PC, I passed it onto a kid I knew who needed a computer. He still is using it. I had a good experience.

I've long been tempted by one to replace my ageing EeePC, as something that will run cooler and be fast enough. Of course, I'd blat whatever OS it had on it to start with as I do with all of my computers these days (except my Pandora, although I did run the stock OS reinstalled to an SD card for a few years) and put some version of linux on it. While I've grown my expectation since I first got this device, I do any heavy lifting on a network connected dual core x64 machine these days.

The only thing that's stopped me is the prevalence of the microSD card over the previously more common and almost entirely better (unless you're trying to make a mini phone, which even phone makers seem to have stopped trying to do after forcing us to go transflash) full sized SD cards. And even devices that had some form of storage upgradability, at least 2GB of RAM and a not entirely terrible keyboard seemed to cost more than my old EeePC ever had. And soon now I shall get my Pyra of course, and that should see me good for the foreseeable of course. Only if I want a bigger screen that I don't have to plug in via type-D HDMI I might consider a bigger machine again.

If the criteria is simply a smallish laptop then I can't recommend enough a secondhand X220 Thinkpad (X200 if you don't care for a touchpad).

They are fully maintainable, upgradeable, relatively cheap, and can be modded with core/libreboot. The keyboards are also fantastic' oh and battery life also is pretty good.

Granted, they may not be powerful enough for you. Not certain on that...

I'd also try to be less concerned about the dollars spent on Android. There's no real logical reason to be tied to a specific ecosystem long term unless you also need to be using those specific services and apps long term. I cut my losses and now generally try to avoid non-transferrable DRM.

True enough, I did spot the refurbished old Thinkpads that were for sale. I was so close to ordering one of those for a while, but never followed through as of yet. The only downside to those is the spinning discs I guess, which I've never been a fan of in portable devices, but those can be fixed with only a small spend assuming they're some form of SATA.

I have considered getting a laptop. I've even considered getting a brand new bleeding edge Thinkpad workstation laptop. Still doesn't fill the needs.

I have several classic Thinkpads with discrete graphics running Linux from SSD. They're great for web surfing, etc. My W500 and T61p both get regular use. Frankly they're a pain to travel with. They're heavy and have very limited battery lives compared to modern hardware and they're incompatible with the remote connection software. But, for something to set on the kitchen table or review diagrams in the garage, they're fantastic.

Work's remote connection software runs in Android 6+, ChromeOS, iOS or Windows 7+ and it doesn't like Linux (yes, that is another issue). I can't bring my Android game library in on Windows or iOS. I'm not bringing in any work data to the local device - it is just a terminal.

True, I could keep playing the Android games on the Galaxy Note 12.2 and get a 2nd device dedicated to work functions. Bring Your Own Device policies (BYOD = Buy Your Own Device) make me inclined to want personal benefit from the device I purchase to support work.

The work need and the fact that Android 5.1 is no longer supported for the connection software I have to use is the primary driver in having to upgrade.

More research done.
HP X2 - from a technical standpoint this is probably the best one available in the sub $750 range. Two things hold me back. 32GB of eMMC is downright stingy. The color scheme is a WTF combination of white for the tablet (I have a dislike of anything that can be mistaken as an iOS device) and navy blue for the keyboard.

There seems to be a lot of product advancement & refreshing going on in the Chromebook space right now. I wonder if I can put off purchasing something for a few weeks and see what shakes out of the product trees.

I have several classic Thinkpads with discrete graphics running Linux from SSD. ..snip.. They're heavy and have very limited battery lives compared to modern hardware and they're incompatible with the remote connection software.

What's wrong with using sshd? Especially if you can get X running over ssh (which I've not managed yet on my machines, but I did use at one old job) you can control a linux machine fully from anywhere on the network provided you know the right passwords or have the right certificates.

What's wrong with using sshd? Especially if you can get X running over ssh (which I've not managed yet on my machines, but I did use at one old job) you can control a linux machine fully from anywhere on the network provided you know the right passwords or have the right certificates.

Yeah, I can do that and connect to my Linux boxes - at home. I have had much more luck with lauching individual Linux applications on form the server into client side graphical by using ssh user@hostip -X then calling the application by name from the ssh terminal. Very handy for non-game Linux applications.

Target machines on the corporate network are not Linux and require a hop through a secure portal via specific proprietary client software. The client software is quite literally limited to ChromeOS, Android 6+, iOS and Windows 7+. My extensive and expensive game libraries are Steam for Linux and Android/Google/Gaps. Linux apps are starting to show up on Chrome OS - games are a ways out. But, that is what I have my extensive home hardware for. The Android games, though, for those I'm stuck to architecture or buying new licenses.

Pinball Arcade is a particular stickler on licenses to content being platform specific. I have all of their tables. This includes many that are no longer purchasable. Game is VERY good on a large tablet by the way. I have this idea to mount a 42" 1920x1080 TV into an old pinball cabinet with my old Galaxy Note 3 bolted to it and supplying video via MHL to HDMI to the big screen. Motion sensors on the phone provide tilt sensors, a few buttons connected via HID USB keyboard, phone in a Samsung MHL + USB dock. Then I think - that is a lot of effort for one game. Then I start thinking of ways to make that more compact or less expensive and then go back to playing it on my 12.2" tablet.

I use a Lenovo Yoga Book for something similar and a few months ago I would have recommended it, it has a thin clamshell 10" design with a (touch based) keyboard - quite nice device but Lenovo ended support for it and it is now stuck on Android 7.11

Researching this to death.
https://www.aboutchromebooks.com/news/samsung-chromebook-pro-v2-lte-core-m3/

So, there is a new Samsung Chromebook Plus with an Intel CPU and an actual type A USB 3.0 host port and a better keyboard. Of course it has a lower resolution screen. But - if the above article is right, Samsung should be dropping a new Chromebook Pro soon - and it might also have LTE - which is one of the things my Android tablet does for me that I will otherwise miss.

Right now I'm putting this purchase on a holding pattern for a week or two to see if a new Samsung Chromebook Pro V2 pops out and meets the needs.
[doublepost=1532543407,1532539295][/doublepost]
Doesn't that make 2 options?

Anyways, seems like you're in one of the rare situations that a chromebook would be useful. I've been using an ASUS laptop for the last year and the thing just never ceases to amaze me. And I've heard that ASUS also makes chromebooks, so I think you should definitely have a look at those.

I checked them out and was a bit underwhelmed with the ASUS Chromebook lineup. But, it sent me exploring more and I found this:

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEa669Zyrx4
Acer Chromebook Spin 13
The catch with something like that is it might be released somewhere in the indefinite 2 Months range. Otherwise, it looks like it has everything I'm looking for but the LTE capability.

Back