Confused

Prometheus said:
I thought that PC meant "Personal Computer", not "Intel x86"... :huh:
Though you may be right, the term "PC" has been associated with IBM PC compatible personal computers for a very long time. Those devices mainly run DOS (among other OSes) which eventually led to the Windows PC, and they were always X86 devices. Of course you can argue that other computers also fit the description of "Personal Computers", but then you'd have to say that the GP2x, or even the GBA, NDS, PSP, Wii, most Linksys routers, the Ipod, and lots of cellphones also are a PCs. They're capable of running Linux after all.
That´s why i think it would be misleading to call the Pandora a UMPC, PCs are being associated with DOS and Windows. I don´t know of any device that claims to be an UMPC and can´t run x86 Windows.

Maybe "PDA" isn't the right description either, so let's just call it a gaming oriented handheld computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't we have this argument already?

Most of the terms you're arguing over are just a bunch of marketing gibberish. The very fact that nobody can agree on what they mean proves that they don't mean anything. As far as I'm concerned, there is no existing category for the Pandora. It is what it is.

OMG - I can't believe we're having this same argument again.
  • UMPC ≠ PC
  • PC ≠ DOS / Windows / 486 / Intel or any of that bs
  • Nokia N-Series Internet tablets are not Windows machines, nor do they use Intel anything - they are UMPCs
  • Asus Eee PC (note the name) does not run Windows (all the time) - but it is considered a UMPC by a lot of people
  • PDA is an outdated term for the most part. Old Palm pilots that basically let you update your calendar - that's a PDA (Personal Data Assistant) - You don't need the Internet to keep up with your contact list and day planner.
  • MID is accurate, but limited. It's not just a Mobile Internet Device - you can use the Pandora (and other UMPCs) without the Internet for hours at a time (watching movies, playing games, writing stuff)
  • PMP is accurate, but limited. It does far more than play media files
None of the other acyonyms fit. UMPC is the best existing term for it.

I started my comment before I saw Chips (my Pizza showed up in the middle of typing it out) - so I didn't mean to repeat his thought. Please don't mod me into non-existance.

Actually, Nxxx series are MIDs. That's the market focus even if it can fo more.

I would say that Pandora is also a Gaming MID, not a Gaming UMPC.

But UMPC is the buzz word now, so it sells consoles I guess.

EDIT: Oh, I mean in terms of marketing... not anything else. I have to be careful not to get flamed catagorising people's toys.

AireTamStorm said:
Guys, give it up. The Pandora is a Pandora-class device. There really is not a better way to put it.
:p
I prefer "gaming handheld". Can't really go wrong with that.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
AireTamStorm said:
Guys, give it up. The Pandora is a Pandora-class device. There really is not a better way to put it.
:p

-God Ginrai

That's accurate, but limited :p

PlopperZ said:
God Ginrai said:
That's accurate, but limited :pExactly - the PSP is a gaming handheld - the Game Boy is a gaming handheld. There needs to be something to separate the Pandora from things that are strickly made for gaming. This isn't a suped up open source Game Gear - it's a multifunction, multiuse computer.

with our current system of classification, classifying pandora is impossible. it has a little bit of a lot of things, without being dedicated only to one. pandora is kind of a jack-of-all-trades. trying to classify it like this is futile.

Hmmm.... Maybe a brand new term is needed. We could probably very successfully call the Pandora an "Open Box" ^_^;;

it's an F1 key with a gaming unit attached as an accessory.

KeyF1.jpg

trooper said:
bboyneko said:
it's an F1 key with a gaming unit attached as an accessory.

The only thing is, The Pandora doesn`t have any function keys.

Trooper

AFAIK, it has a "Fn" key that combined with the number keys works as the function keys

Handheld Emus said:
chad78 said:
Whether it is a UMPC or a Gaming Device depends entirely on the software that is put on it.
Ok - so what can it run? Does it do UMPC type stuff - office, firefox, chat, voip, email, calendar, media player? It says it runs Linux, so can I put Ubuntu on it and just run software for that like Open Office and VLC?

I hope it will be possible though ubuntu is to bloated for the :pandora1: . This makes me think it will be possible. But I suppose you've mentioned ubuntu just because you think if it works than everything will. I hope there will be a firmware with X and all the libs needed to compile software from scratch. A stripped version of Debian will do (if I remember correctly this was the initial plan).

To throw in my two cents, this seems like a gaming MID. MID works best I think because it runs an embedded system out of the box, internal storage less than 512MB and has a screen which is less than 5." IIRC, UMPCs are defined as having an internal hard drive, a more "full blown" environment, and screens between 5-9." The EEE PC doesn't fall into either category, because it's clearly in the netbook category.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/10/intel-e...ns-mid-vs-umpc/
http://www.intel.com/products/mid/

Personally, my vote would be to come up with our own, equally confusing and ill-defined acronym. Just let the techblogs know that there is a new category, and we'll be all set.

MIGED - Mobile Internet Gaming and Entertainment Device

I second AireTamStorm's "Open Box", since it works on multiple levels. :D

emil10001 said:
Personally, my vote would be to come up with our own, equally confusing and ill-defined acronym. Just let the techblogs know that there is a new category, and we'll be all set.

MIGED - Mobile Internet Gaming and Entertainment Device
What about Mobile Internet Device for Gaming, Entertainment and Techies :)

Back