Compiling Lemonboy2X

chickendung said:
That is a relief. I then assume that you are also experiencing delayed sound effects even with Scale2x deformed? It is extremely noticeable in Link's Awakening DX, when you select different letters when naming your character and when you jump of ledges. The landing sound is about, I'd say, .75 seconds slow, which is definitely noticeable and quite annoying. However, do you, UByte, plan on making a new version that improves these aspects? Tearing also must be fixed, it is quite severe in the case of Lemonboy.

Thanks again for the reassurance! ;)

I've got a solution that doesn't increase sound latency. Fixing tearing is certainly do-able but won't be implemented on first release. I don't want to hijack this thread so I'm going to go silent until I finish it, be patient.

Last edited by a moderator:
UByte said:
chickendung said:
That is a relief. I then assume that you are also experiencing delayed sound effects even with Scale2x deformed? It is extremely noticeable in Link's Awakening DX, when you select different letters when naming your character and when you jump of ledges. The landing sound is about, I'd say, .75 seconds slow, which is definitely noticeable and quite annoying. However, do you, UByte, plan on making a new version that improves these aspects? Tearing also must be fixed, it is quite severe in the case of Lemonboy.

I've got a solution that doesn't increase sound latency. Fixing tearing is certainly do-able but won't be implemented on first release. I don't want to hijack this thread so I'm going to go silent until I finish it, be patient.

This was my thread originally. You are free to hijack it. ;)
What do you mean by, "doesn't increase the sound latency"? Sorry, I'm just new to that term.

UByte said:
chickendung said:

if you can post the solution, Id like to add it to lemonboy.

I do have one request for a feature. I'm not sure if many other games have the same method of saving, but Link's Awakening, along with the DX version, make you press Start, Select, A, and B at the same time to save and quit. This is very difficult on the wiz due to the location and sensitivities of the various buttons. Would it be possible to map one of the buttons on the Wiz so it acts as pressing those buttons at the same time?

Thanks, hope to see a new release soon. :)

Pickle said:
if you can post the solution, Id like to add it to lemonboy.

I will of course release the source of my emulator, I hope to have something posted before wednesday. I hope you'll forgive me for holding back until I'm happy with it.

The basic premise though is to use a small (512 samples) sdl audio buffer but maintain a second larger buffer (say 4096 samples) from which the audio callback draws its samples from. You only have to block if the buffer is full. Because the emulation is only blocking once every 512 samples this results in smoother frame updates.

My implementation experiences some cracks and pops under win32 but seems flawless on the wiz. It's likely due to a threading issue, not my area of expertise.

chickendung said:
I do have one request for a feature. I'm not sure if many other games have the same method of saving, but Link's Awakening, along with the DX version, make you press Start, Select, A, and B at the same time to save and quit. This is very difficult on the wiz due to the location and sensitivities of the various buttons. Would it be possible to map one of the buttons on the Wiz so it acts as pressing those buttons at the same time?

Thanks, hope to see a new release soon. :)

Keys are redefinable. However I don't think its possible to bind single keys to multiple commands in standard gnuboy. It's a good idea though. I'll have a think as to the best way to implement this.

Excellent work on the updates so far, but could this be fixed? (I posted this the other night, but I think it was overlooked!)

Neil L said:
Another thing I've noticed on the volume control, the numbers don't always correspond with what's coming out of the speakers.
(eg. Sometimes 'Volume 30' is loud and another time you can't hear it on 30?)

Cheers, Neil

Neil L said:
Excellent work on the updates so far, but could this be fixed? (I posted this the other night, but I think it was overlooked!)

Neil L said:
Another thing I've noticed on the volume control, the numbers don't always correspond with what's coming out of the speakers.
(eg. Sometimes 'Volume 30' is loud and another time you can't hear it on 30?)

Cheers, Neil

yeah i can fix this, i just need to set the volume once when the program runs.

I see the new version is up on the archive here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,134

The sound is now perfect on the few games I've tried.
The only problems I've noticed is the volume control bar problem (from the post above) and the screen tearing.
Brilliant job on the update. :)
Cheers, Neil

Oh, and is there any way frames can be used on the interpolation setting?

Neil L said:
Oh, and is there any way frames can be used on the interpolation setting?

Version just updated again in the official archives.
volume is fixed.
Removed unsupported scaling modes

Back