Compiling Lemonboy2X

chickendung

TO THE TRENTON TAR PITS!
Website
i currently do not have a website.com
After speaking with Juanvvc about Lemonboy, he said that compiling Lemonboy would be VERY easy even for me, and that he could provide the steps necessary to get the proper environment for compiling up and running. However, he has not mentioned anything about it since that message. Therefore, I was wondering if there are any developers that could help me compile Lemonboy using the OSS sound driver. I can give you links to the latest Lemonboy source and Juanvvc's posts about OSS sound, if you are willing to assist me. I have both a Mac OS X 10.5 and a Windows XP x64 Machine running, so just tell me what I need to install, if anything. I am completely new to the developing scene, so go easy one me. ;)

chickendung said:
After speaking with Juanvvc about Lemonboy, he said that compiling Lemonboy would be VERY easy even for me, and that he could provide the steps necessary to get the proper environment for compiling up and running. However, he has not mentioned anything about it since that message. Therefore, I was wondering if there are any developers that could help me compile Lemonboy using the OSS sound driver. I can give you links to the latest Lemonboy source and Juanvvc's posts about OSS sound, if you are willing to assist me. I have both a Mac OS X 10.5 and a Windows XP x64 Machine running, so just tell me what I need to install, if anything. I am completely new to the developing scene, so go easy one me. ;)

Ive tried using the oss file, and i havnt even gotten it to work.

Edit: I just got gnuboy woring ok with SDL sound, theres a little bit of static but the speed is right and doesnt sound too bad. Maybe I can merge the changes to lemonboy

Edit 2: here at the merged results, I think its pretty good. Sounds the same as the gnuboy 8 bit to 16 bit conversion. So I the noise may be the emulation itself.
pickle.gp2x.de/lemonboy-wiz.zip

Edit 3: Fixed the static by upping the sample size, new version coming. This is near perfect sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
chickendung said:

Ive tried using the oss file, and i havnt even gotten it to work.

Edit: I just got gnuboy woring ok with SDL sound, theres a little bit of static but the speed is right and doesnt sound too bad. Maybe I can merge the changes to lemonboy

Edit 2: here at the merged results, I think its pretty good. Sounds the same as the gnuboy 8 bit to 16 bit conversion. So I the noise may be the emulation itself.
pickle.gp2x.de/lemonboy-wiz.zip

The static you refer to is due to the pcm buffer not being filled in time for the SDL audio callback. I am working on a solution at the moment for my own branch of gnuboy. I will release a beta+source sometime within the next 7 days.

UByte said:
The static you refer to is due to the pcm buffer not being filled in time for the SDL audio callback. I am working on a solution at the moment for my own branch of gnuboy. I will release a beta+source sometime within the next 7 days.

Well the static went away with setting the sample size to 4096 (even 2048 helped). Ive tested just about everything i have and everything sounds perfect. FPS is still right on also.
The link above is updated with the new version.

This works so well im updating the archive versions, binary and source

Pickle said:
UByte said:

Well the static went away with setting the sample size to 4096 (even 2048 helped). Ive tested just about everything i have and everything sounds perfect. FPS is still right on also.

You are a god. Do not let anyone question your deification. ;)

Loading it up now!!!

chickendung said:
Pickle said:
UByte said:

Loading it up now!!!

Lucky maybe ;-)
Give feedback on your experience.

Pickle said:
chickendung said:
Pickle said:
UByte said:

Loading it up now!!!

Lucky maybe ;-)

Yeah...Actually...Can't get it to work. Sound is completely off, I've checked my config. You didn't inlude any files but the gpe, so I used the old other files. Can you upload the zip of ALL the files YOU are using?

EDIT: Redownloaded. I guess the update didn't apply so quickly. Sound is indeed perfect.

EDIT: The sound is good, but the gameplay is quite slow, making the sound effects late. Do you not notice it? It looks like the thing is skipping frames even with frameskip off. Also, it freezes when I try to quit the emulator.

Pickle said:

The simplest solutions are always the best eh? :) With a buffersize of 4096 and a sample rate of 44100 things are only syncing ~10 times a second. I found the latency and percieved framerate unbearable. That is of course only if you're blocking on the audio callback, I can't recall how Lemonboy syncs.

chickendung said:
Pickle said:
chickendung said:
Pickle said:
UByte said:

Loading it up now!!!

Lucky maybe ;-)

Yeah...Actually...Can't get it to work. Sound is completely off, I've checked my config. You didn't inlude any files but the gpe, so I used the old other files. Can you upload the zip of ALL the files YOU are using?

Ok try it again, everything is in the zip at the link above

I just downloaded the full version from your above link, the sound is 10 times better. :)
But I've noticed your using the older buggier version (the one without Vsync), was there a reason for this?
Cheers, Neil

Edit: It also crashes on exiting.

Neil L said:
I can't get it to work either, I overwrote the .gpe with the one from your download and it just crashes back to the Wiz menu. :(
Cheers, Neil

there been an update to include everything, try again

What clockspeed are you guys using? Im at 400 Mhz.
The binary needs a script or set wrapper to true in order for the menu to reload if you quit.

I didnt use the vsync source as Ive always though that version more of a hack, plus most of what ive tested with on this version has ran at 60 fps.
Give me an example of somthing popular that isnt working

Edit: Something not being released correcly on shutdown so it appears the menu is hung, but its actually being loaded, just not shown.

I'm running at 550 Mhz and everything seems fine, apart from the hang up problem.
The menu (on the top & bottom) & the volume bar are not disappearing on the interpolation setting. (This was fixed on the Vsync version)
Excellent work again Pickle. :)

Edit: Another thing I've noticed on the volume control, the numbers don't always correspond with what's coming out of the speakers (eg. Sometimes 'Volume 30' is loud and another time you can't hear it on 30?) & could anything be done about the screen tearing?

Neil L said:
I'm running at 550 Mhz and everything seems fine, apart from the hang up problem.
The menu (on the top & bottom) & the volume bar are not disappearing on the interpolation setting. (This was fixed on the Vsync version)
Excellent work again Pickle. :)

so it was the clockspeed, im using the scale2x deformed, but Ill check out the interpolation to see if I can have the same issue.
Found the menu reload issue, mistake by me messing with the makefile

Edit: I remember now what your referring to in the interpolation part, I will try and find the fix I had before

Edit 2: new version up, has menu reload fix and interpolation fix. Note I was incorrect before, lemonboy reloads the menu on its own internally.

I guess my Wiz is faulty all around. It is slower with video normal than with scale2x deformed, and when I try to disable sound it freezes when I try to get back to the game. I can restart the Wiz to get no sound and perfect speed, however. I am reinstalling the latest firmware to see if that helps. It's not a problem with the SD card; I've tested multiple ones. If it's no better after the firmware update, then I guess my Wiz is weaker than most.

chickendung said:
I guess my Wiz is faulty all around. It is slower with video normal than with scale2x deformed, and when I try to disable sound it freezes when I try to get back to the game. I can restart the Wiz to get no sound and perfect speed, however. I am reinstalling the latest firmware to see if that helps. It's not a problem with the SD card; I've tested multiple ones. If it's no better after the firmware update, then I guess my Wiz is weaker than most.

Your Wiz is probably fine chickendung. The reason lemonboy seems slower in normal mode is quite complicated but not exclusive to your Wiz. I'll try to explain. It's related to the larger sample buffer Pickle's using. Inbetween buffer uploads frames are being rendered stupidly fast then pausing while lemonboy waits for the audio to sync (approximately 10 times a second) that's why it looks like it's updating 10 times a second.

However when using one of the more complicated scaling methods it's taking longer to draw the frames inbetween updates therefore the whole experience seems smoother.

In summary your Wiz is not b0rked I experience the same with lemonboy and have had the same problems with my port.

UByte said:
chickendung said:

Your Wiz is probably fine chickendung. The reason lemonboy seems slower in normal mode is quite complicated but not exclusive to your Wiz. I'll try to explain. It's related to the larger sample buffer Pickle's using. Inbetween buffer uploads frames are being rendered stupidly fast then pausing while lemonboy waits for the audio to sync (approximately 10 times a second) that's why it looks like it's updating 10 times a second.

However when using one of the more complicated scaling methods it's taking longer to draw the frames inbetween updates therefore the whole experience seems smoother.

In summary your Wiz is not b0rked I experience the same with lemonboy and have had the same problems with my port.

That is a relief. I then assume that you are also experiencing delayed sound effects even with Scale2x deformed? It is extremely noticeable in Link's Awakening DX, when you select different letters when naming your character and when you jump of ledges. The landing sound is about, I'd say, .75 seconds slow, which is definitely noticeable and quite annoying. However, do you, UByte, plan on making a new version that improves these aspects? Tearing also must be fixed, it is quite severe in the case of Lemonboy.

Thanks again for the reassurance! ;)

Back