Community?

Blaine0002

Website
http
When these two new systems come out, who will buy what? What system is this current community going to lean twords? Will they go for the XGP if its open source? or will people go for the GPX2? i just want to know what one to buy, cause i want to stay with the community.

I think time will tell, although there will be a fair few of us with both I expect.

I can see that over time, one of the two will emerge as a 'winner' though; proberbly whichever one is easier for homebrewers to dev for.

I don't think the Xgp is going to be the same sort of system, so I think the X2 is the main choice for homebrew/emulator fans.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

craigix posted on Aug 14 2005 at 08:52 PM said:
I don't think the Xgp is going to be the same sort of system, so I think the X2 is the main choice for homebrew/emulator fans.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

It really puzzles me how Gamepark can do this.

Quote* from the president of Gamepark. "our console only suceeded as an opensourced console. Infact its more popular than most would have thought. So lets scrap that and try and work the commercial angle, which failed terribly last time"

*not actual quote

Last edited by a moderator:
Apeiron posted on Aug 14 2005 at 08:19 PM said:
GPX2 is open source..and thats the one i'll be getting

LOL. I only see the buzzwords: - Linux, community, and open-source banded around. Are really any of these things really true.

What is linux?
What was open source about the GP32 or will be on GPnextgen?
What do you mean community?

Cyclops posted on Aug 14 2005 at 10:53 PM said:
Apeiron posted on Aug 14 2005 at 08:19 PM said:
GPX2 is open source..and thats the one i'll be getting

LOL. I only see the buzzwords: - Linux, community, and open-source banded around. Are really any of these things really true.

What is linux?
What was open source about the GP32 or will be on GPnextgen?
What do you mean community?

Linux: fantastic operating system that runs on almost anything. Kicks microsofts ass. Oh, and its free too.

Opensource: Made so that anyone can develop for the system using their developers kit (I think...Correct me if i'm wrong). Gp32 is opensource, gpx2 will be, I don't think xgp will.

Community: everyone on these boards

GPX2 appears to be the next GP32, in terms of both design and spirit. XGP appears to be something different, more like an attempt to create a Korean PSP.

Personally the XGP makes no sense. It seems that GamePark's splitup was between the pro-homebrew and the pro-commercial executives. So XGP is the new commercial gaming system, and GPX2 is the new homebrew system. Good luck to XGP, but with PSP on the block it's going to be a tough road to travel. GPX2 on the other hand, has a ready and willing audience already among the pre-existing GP32 crowd.

GP32 was originally intended to be a commercial game system but with extra features as well. People forget, but GP32 launched with a good number of commercial games. But once users adopted homebrew and emus, the commercial development trickled to a halt. The real money is in selling commercial games, so some people at GamePark must've really resented how things worked out - instead of making a lot of money, they only made a alittle money just selling hardware.

XGP is probably intended to change that. So they DON'T want homebrew on XGP, they want to follow their original vision - basically a "Korean Gameboy." Can such a thing succeed? Well, probably not. GP32 didn't, at least not as a Gameboy competitor - instead it became something unique, and possibly unexpected even for GamePark. A homebrew handheld. But how much money is there to make selling just hardware? I don't know, but hopefully enough to keep GPH afloat so GPX2 can become successful.

This homebrew thing seems to impact commercial interest, this is why Sony is so against it. I am not sure if it is a coincidence but the commercial releases for PSP have slowed to a trickle. Even the DS seems to be pulling ahead. Is this because of the rampant emu use on PSP now? Emulation is so mainstream on PSP now that I wonder. I went to a local "EB" and saw a crowd of store employees huddled over another employee's PSP. What were they playing? Some new hot PSP release? a pre-release store demo of a brand new game? No they were playing Super Mario 3 on a NES emulator. The one guy even said "why bother buying expensive PSP games when you can get tons of free games over the 'net". While NES games aren't as impressive as PSP Ridge racer it may have some impact. This was not as much a factor with the GBA or DS because you needed expensive flash media only available at import sites. With the PSP all you need is an internet connection and a blank memory stick that can be obtained anywhere. So with GPH it will probably mean very few commercial releases too. But then again most of us will not be buying it for commercial games anyway.

there really is not enough room in the market for 2 16:9/10 systems. Simply put, 1 already has great commercial and homebrew backing, whilst the other is still on the drawing board and will sell in tiny quantities outside of its native korea.

If you want a jack of all trades, get a psp

if you want a dedicated system for emulation, get a gpx2.

The sale of PSPs have slowed because there hasnt been a worth while new game in the last 3 months. Homebrew has nothing to do with it's sales numbers (hell a friend of mine even bought one just so she could start playing genesis/MD games and Yeah I did try to convince her to buy a GP32 or wait for the GPx2).

Sony's stance against Homebrew has everything to do with their distaste of pirate software that infringes on other people's copyrights such as emulators, or the possibility other applications that might be of less that pure intentions.

I would be VERY suprised if the xgp turned out to be open source. Basically, you would think that if it was going to be, they would have advertised that fact already - especially because of the competition they would have with the gpx2. Most devs who are thinking of purchasing one of these systems to develop for have already unconsciously picked the gpx2 (I know I have) because of the push towards open source from the get go, and because of GPH great handling of the whole handheld development process.

Go gpx2 all the way! I don't even really care about the xgp. Like others have said, if I did care, I'd already have a PSP.

I predict that by the middle to end of next year, there will be a gpx2 community looking to overtake the gp32s (many will be the same members :) ), and there will be a small, dissappointed xgp community sadly waiting for new releases on which to empty their wallets.

Prophet posted on Aug 15 2005 at 01:44 PM said:
But how much money is there to make selling just hardware? I don't know, but hopefully enough to keep GPH afloat so GPX2 can become successful.
There are many companies that sell just hardware and make nice profit. Unfortunately the GP32 was not initially created or priced for that purpose so Gamepark saw little (if any) profit. The GPx2 has been design specifically as a hardware sales only machine, which will work very much to GPH's benefit. :)

Precisely.

If hardware made little or no money, there would not be megazillions of companies making hardwares strictly such as MP3 players or portable DVD players.

Only reason console hardwares lose money is that those companies use either latest of hardwares or hardwares that are made and sold in small quantities. (e.g. PS2's emotion engine or Xbox which cost 200 bucks for a hardware which should be sold at 300)

If GH price their machine at right level where they can make good margin of profit will bring them money by hardware sales, and of course using parts that are abundunt on the market. (RISC CPU's that are commonly used in other cell phones and such)

That's all.

Back