Community Power

M0zza

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
As the GP2X was aimed at the homebrew community, I was wondering if anyone in the community had any input when the specification of the console was being finalised?

If not, I was wondering what the community would have done differently.

And, I was also wondering, for all you hardware and systems techies out there, what would be involved in getting a community designed and developed console together...

... Don't worry I'm not after ideas for a rival. It just seems that the people who develop for and use the system should be the ones who know what they want.

slygamer: I think you'll find that the video acceleration features require 64MB, so we would have ended up with 64MB regardless, as it seems video playing is GPH's top priority.

nickspoon: TV-Out is one of the "I wish my GP32 could do this"-ideas which, wisely, GPH respected when designing the GP2X.

I wish my GP32 could fly. GP3X, if you're listening, ...

- Alex

Jarska333 posted on Mar 14 2006 at 06:18 PM said:
Open a window, and chuck the thing out. I assure you, it will fly.
orly.jpg

I waited so long to use it :D

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. posted on Mar 14 2006 at 12:36 PM said:

- Alex

If the Gp2x gets a 'sequel', I doubt it gets called GP3x. It occurred to me last night WHY it's called the 2x... GP32 indicated it was a Game Park console, naturally, with a 32-bit processor. The GP2x is 32-bit as well, but it has 2 processors. "x2", for "quantity: 2" .. becoming "2x". So god knows what they call the next system. ;)

No... I WILL SAVE THE FORUM FROM 4CHAN! Members, read the warning below *charges magic* :
Siggie.png

On-topic: I believe the whole point behind the specs was to make an extremely good movie player and an exceptional game player... I mean, that just seems common sense...

The actual intention of the GP2X was a movie and music player that also does games. The hardware is designed with that in mind, really. I'm pretty sure the general concensus of the community is that it's games first, movies and music second, not the other way around.

Does that answer your question?

Epicenter posted on Mar 16 2006 at 05:48 PM said:

- Alex

If the Gp2x gets a 'sequel', I doubt it gets called GP3x. It occurred to me last night WHY it's called the 2x... GP32 indicated it was a Game Park console, naturally, with a 32-bit processor. The GP2x is 32-bit as well, but it has 2 processors. "x2", for "quantity: 2" .. becoming "2x". So god knows what they call the next system. ;)
"2x" is short for "too expensive"

pcklee123 posted on Mar 18 2006 at 01:34 PM said:
Epicenter posted on Mar 16 2006 at 05:48 PM said:

- Alex

"2x" is short for "too expensive"

So what is psp short for........

play $tation portable... Seriously, if the PSP weren't sold at a loss, and sold on hardware prices, you'd be looking at 400$ for a PSP... The GP2X is not sold at a loss and therefore is generally more expensive...

Vimacs posted on Mar 18 2006 at 12:49 PM said:
The next one who posts a idiotic pic or makes a quote tree will be banned :)

orly.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

Last edited:
Back